June 6th, 2012

Google warns users of state-sponsored hacking

Google has started warning users when it thinks they may be targets of government-sponsored hackers, the Internet giant announced.

Users whose accounts are compromised get a message at the top of their browser saying: "Warning: We believe state-sponsored attackers may be attempting to compromise your account or computer."

Google declined to say how it could tell that governments were behind the hacking attempts, or to say which governments it blamed.

"We can't go into the details without giving away information that would be helpful to these bad actors, " Google security engineering vice president Eric Grosse said in a post on the company's website on Tuesday.

"But our detailed analysis - as well as victim reports - strongly suggest the involvement of states or groups that are state-sponsored," he said.

Getting the warning does not mean a user's account has been hacked, the company said, but that Google believes the account has been a target of phishing, malware or other hacking tools.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Google • Technology • U.S. • World
  1. PEDO BEAR

Can't get past te first line. Who is this "oogle?"

June 6, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. savyam

hi wats up

June 6, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

Disturbing, but not surprising! I have nothing to hide, so I'm not worried! If they do find something they don't like, they can always give me a "state sponsored" ticket back to Sweden, for which I could only say, Thanks a Bunch! Shoot, now I'm kinda wishing that'll happen so I could co-ordinate it w/my family's vacation there later this summer! LOL!!

June 6, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Clem Vinson

whats this? A company standing up for civil liberties? Who paid for that? Its an incomplete story, no mention of how they intend to profit from this.... Makes me wonder...

June 6, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

Civil Liberties folks?
    With Patriot Law and its subsequent extensions we collectively surrendered our right to hold on to them. With the passage of the recent Defense Bill, we the public accepted to surrender even more.
    This Google thing is trivial.
    @ fernace, jokes aside this can now happen to any of us, even worse.

June 6, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Correct in the fascist states of America there are no more rights. It is time for a revolution

June 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©,

SPEAKING OF JOKES ASIDE,

A dieti tian was once addressing a large audience in Chicago.

"The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here, years ago. Red meat is awful. Soft drinks erode your stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. Vegetables can be disastrous, and none of us realizes the long-term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water. But there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all and we all have, or will, eat it.

Can anyone here tell me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?"

A 75-year-old man in the front row stood up and said, "Wedding cake."

June 6, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

Mornin' @bobcat
    keep'em coming. Even CNN seems to smile on these, I read a post by NSaidi@cnn .

June 6, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

lol @ bobcat, they say marriage is like a 3 ring circus. First there is the engagement ring, 2nd is the wedding ring and 3rd is the suffer ring!

June 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ chrissy

That statement "rings" so true. How you doing ?

June 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

lol @ bobcat, yes i know it does! Words i live by, happily divorced 28 years and will NEVER do it again! lmao Im doin great, how about yourself?

June 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ chrissy

I can't complain I guess. Shoot, it doesn't do any good anyway. Nobody listens. I tried standing in front of the mirror one time to complain, and I wouldn't even listen to me.

June 6, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

And @ mickeyl3l3, im afraid your right. Ive been saying that for awhile! Just imagine if EVERYONE closed their bank accts on the same day. Or EVERYONE boycotted shopping on the same day, or EVERYONE stopped by gas on the same day? Just a few things but...

June 6, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ banasy©

That is wonderful that it's worked out so well for you this time. I've found the most important things to be, total honesty, not taking things for granted and of course laughter, of which I can dole out a bounty.

June 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

lmao i truly am happy for all of you, i just dont think its in the cards for me, and im quite ok with that. My daughter tells me i need to play humpty dumpty & i say screw that! Lol i kinda like celibacy! And when im lonely i got all you guys! That works!

June 6, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |