Overheard on CNN.com: If wishes were horses, 'Another' Secretariat would rise
I'll Have Another won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness, but won't be attending the Belmont.
June 8th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: If wishes were horses, 'Another' Secretariat would rise

Readers' hopes of witnessing the first Triple Crown winner in 34 years sank when the news broke that I'll Have Another was scratched from Saturday's Belmont Stakes. We're seeing all kinds of conversation about this horse, and the high-stakes racing world.

'I'll Have Another' scratched from Belmont

Do horses care about winning? Readers started to reminisce about the champion horse Secretariat, which inspired a movie starring Diane Lane.

Susan Barth: "I'm sure the horse could care less ..."

Chicago7: "I disagree with the sentiment that the horse couldn't care less. I think champion racehorses know very well that they're special when they're running. How could anyone doubt that while watching Secretariat shut out the competition at the lengthy Belmont Stakes, pass the finish line and then just keep running at full tilt ... and running ... and running ... and running. He knew all eyes were on him, that everyone was breathless, and that he was doing something extraordinary, and didn't want it to end. I'd call that horse a machine except he had too much heart to reduce him to that. I'm hoping for another Secretariat someday although I know there'll never be another horse like him. I was rooting hard for Smarty Jones and was so sad when he didn't win the Belmont. I feel just like that now – I'll Have Another reminded me of him a lot."

Mwolve: "I don't know about the feeling of having eyes on him, though dogs are definitely known to find joy in performing for their owners and sometimes one up each other, but it is obvious that some horses love to run and run fast. It is not a stretch to think some horses like to out run others. That being said, Secretariat was a bit of a machine. He literally had a lot of heart. He was physically much more gifted, including having a larger heart (literal organ), than any other horse he faced."

Some were hoping to witness a historic moment.

Big mark: "Last triple crown winner was the year of my birth. Had hoped to actually watch it happen."

A few readers said they think it's a smart move to pull the horse out.

Hope: "Probably a smart decision on the part of the trainer and the owner. I'll Have Another's health (legs) are more important than a win. I wish there were more responsible people like them in the horse racing industry! Hats off to a true champion, Hope"

Snappy53: "I wholeheartedly agree with your statement Hope. Best of luck to IHA in the future. He is still a champion in my eyes. He'll have fun at the breeding shed from now on. The trainer made the right call. We would not want another tragedy like poor Barbaro to happen during the Belmont."

This commenter, who said they work with horses, was appreciative.

phyllis chatterton: "At last an owner who cares about his animal. Thanks for your thinking of your horse and not your pockets. This 7th generation horseman loves you. ponylady"

Could concerns about horse breeding be involved? Some of the allegations that have surrounded trainer Doug O'Neill in the past led a few readers to question his motives.

responsible?: "Responsible, racing industry and O'Neill don't belong in the same sentence. (The horse's genes) are worth far more than anything else. If he catastrophically broke down on the track, the owners wouldn't be able to sell his love for $1,000,000/breeding. Racing isn't about ethics, it's about money."

bluemalak: "He'll make them plenty of money just in stud fees for winning the Derby and the Preakness."

Others said they think horse racing is no good.

The Buzzman: "Good. Horseracing should just be abolished all together. Theres nothing good to it at all. Its all about money hungry people betting on animals. How is this different then any other animal related betting? Oh yeah its still legal, that all. Get rid of this. The animals are who suffers out of this and they get pushed too hard and then what they break a leg and then they have to put them down. Thats wonderful!"

This person had fun with the horse's name.

magneticink: "Ok, I'll Bet Another ..."

But there are other horse races.

Incrediboy: "The real race isn't til November"

Will people still watch the Belmont race?

Trace: "Ratings for the race just dropped by 60%"

writergal: "Unfortunately, the real loser in this is whatever network is showing the Belmont. With I'll Have Another out, it's just another horse race and it doesn't matter who wins. Viewership will likely be maybe a quarter of what it would have been if people thought they were going to see a possible Triple Crown winner."

What's at stake now? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Overheard on CNN.com • Sports
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I agree with Chicago7 that the horses know.
    When I saw Secretariat walking to the gate, I knew that something was going to happen.
    I just didn't know that all of that was about to happen.
    He knew.

June 8, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Buy American

It is admirable the way Americans like their news and horses made in the USA. Pretty much everything else they buy is made in China or some other foreign country though. Even their slaves slaves are imported from Mexico now. Go figure.

June 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Buy American
      Yes. We Americans invented the horse, and many of us knew a woman whose husband invented the chicken.

June 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

That's one official "HA" for JIF, from BOMBO.

June 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Secretariat?

Secratariat is to horseracing what Arnold Palmer is to golf: winners when competition was scarce. Tiger Woods? Why, freak of nature, of course. 🙂

June 8, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

"FREAK of nature" indeed. Go Tiger!

June 9, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Hope

Thanks, CNN. It's nice to know our opinions count.

😀

June 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

They do indeed! Thanks for stopping by!

June 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LEAKYFISHINGBOATS2012

The house that Bill Cheny Clinton built – dogs tails wagging: WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama denied Friday that the White House has deliberately leaked classified national security information that is flattering to him in this election year, calling such allegations ‘‘offensive’’ and ‘‘wrong.’’ Must be a horse race. 🙂

June 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

That's odd. Though I follow CNNs posting rules to the letter, I'm batting .537 on the N. (i keep stats on comments i post that get deleted later on, for over a year now)
    Sometimes I feel as Edith Bunker must of felt towors Archie Bunkers 'stifle'.
    Example: I told the story of an overly promiscuous woman married to a high ranking military official who used to troll and hijack AOL usernames...even having online affairs with some of the male posters. One year later, she was free of the chains that truly bound her. (se x addiction and addiction to painkillers)
    Then I posted the lyrics to Bob Welchs 'Ebony Eyes' that tell the story of myself and her. My story of Lanie (AOL s/n 'originalwife') was posted, and then deleted for what must be personal reasons for CNNs blog monitor(s). Obviously, I met with CNns criteria for posting, or my comment would never have posted to begin with.
    @nsaidi. Why delete?

June 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rise

What does that mean? That you've written over half of the posts here on THIS JUST IN? And you're PROUD of that? Buy a diary!

June 9, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Posting lyrics IS a copy infringement. Yet I remember people posting lyrics to various artists songs on the "Robin Gibbs" death blog that didn't get deleted. Go figure.

June 9, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. @Joey Isotta-blah blah

All American thouroughbreds as well as Quaterhorses originated in Europe, as all Americans did. (save those Africans and Mexicans imported for slave work Americans consider themselves to be above doing.

June 8, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

This woman (originalwife) thought me to be a woman hating mysogynist as outlined in Cosmopolitan magazine. One year later, she was an entirely different woman. Not b/c of me...b/c of her coming to know the truth about governments and those who serve them RATHER than serving the God they claim to know and love.
    Why would such a success story be deleted?

June 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Congratulations, Hope!
    You are in good company here... 😉

June 8, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ banasy©

Can you feel all the love on these blogs today ? That's why I haven't been doing any posting. Looks like someones got it in for me today. Not giving them the satisfaction.

June 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@bobcat (in a hat)©:

Love? Well, no.
    Contempt?
    Loud and clear.
    Keep posting your jokes.
    Laughter is the best thing to do in the face of contempt.
    Don't let a coward chase you away.

June 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

In reference to another thread's comments about bobcat's jokes, one of the first times that he and I had a long conversation, it was about a very serious and often misunderstood topic. His daring and candid observations impressed me, and I see him as a very serious fellow.
    We enjoy his jokes, and when he's serious most of us listen carefully.

June 8, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hear, hear, JIF.
      I agree completely.
      bc(iah)© is a wise man.
      Funny, too!

June 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ banasy©

These naysayers of mine aren't sending me anywhere. I just don't respond to them any longer. It's good to be me, for that is what I shall ever be.

June 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BOMBO ©

Hi all good people. I haven't been on here much lately. Not trying to be anti-social. They're watching me like a hawk at work, so I can't keep going on all day like I once did.

June 8, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO ©

Also, on topic, horses are freaky animals. They are grotesque and strong and intelligent, but for some rerason they allow us to sit on them.

June 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I politely beg to differ BOMBO, They have been "broken" in.

June 9, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |