Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days
June 10th, 2012

Ahead of the curve: The next 7 days

Here is a look at some of the stories that CNN plans to follow this week:

U.S. nuns, Vatican to meet over 'radical feminism' accusations

Leaders from the United States' largest group of Catholic nuns will head to the Vatican on Tuesday to address accusations that it strayed from church doctrine, according to CNN's Jim Roope.

An April report from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Catholic Church's watchdog on doctrine, said the Leadership Conference of Women Religious had allowed "radical feminism" to be espoused at their conferences unchecked.

The doctrinal assessment praised the sisters' work on social justice issues but said they were not doing enough on abortion, same-sex marriage and euthanasia. The Vatican report also was critical of the nuns because of their support for the United States' Affordable Care Act, which will require private health plans to cover artificial birth control, the use of which is against Catholic teaching.

The cardinal who heads the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith said he hopes the meeting in Rome will let the two sides "review the document together in a spirit of mutual respect and collaboration, hopefully thereby avoiding possible misunderstandings of the (assessment's) intent and scope."

JP Morgan CEO to testify on billions in losses

The CEO of JPMorgan Chase is scheduled to testify before the Senate Banking Committee this week about the bank's billions of dollars in trading losses that it reported last month.

Jamie Dimon is scheduled to testify Wednesday. The bank originally reported a $2 billion trading loss on May 10, but since then estimates of the size of the loss have risen, and some believe the losses could reach $6 billion to $7 billion, CNNMoney reported.

The news of the loss has renewed debate on Capitol Hill about financial reforms designed to stop big risky bets that could hurt the financial system. After JPMorgan disclosed the loss, the FBI and the Securities and Exchange Commission opened preliminary investigations looking into the matter.

Muslim Brotherhood, secularist candidates in Egyptian presidential runoff

Egypt on Saturday and Sunday will settle its first presidential election since last year's revolution with a runoff between Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohamed Morsi and secularist Ahmed Shafik.

The runoff will come two weeks after deposed President Hosni Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison on charges relating to last year's deaths of hundreds of anti-Mubarak protesters.  Six of his aides were acquitted. People angry about the acquittals have protested in Cairo's main square, and Morsi has been trying to use the  anger against Shafik, who was an official in Mubarak's regime. The Muslim Brotherhood vowed to retry the acquitted aides if Morsi is elected.

Aung San Suu Kyi to accept Nobel Prize after 21-year wait

When Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991, she couldn't accept it in person because she was in detention. Her 21-year wait is about to end.

Suu Kyi, a Myanmar opposition leader, is expected to deliver her acceptance speech in Oslo, Norway, on Saturday. She recently visited Thailand, her first trip of Myanmar in more than 20 years.

Suu Kyi led her party to a landslide victory in 1990's multiparty elections, but the military junta that had ruled the country for decades ignored the results and kept her under house arrest, in part because she called for reforms. The military began to allow fledgling reforms two years ago, and she was released.

She was elected to parliament in April. She and 33 other newly elected members of her party took up their seats in the Myanmar parliament in May, a historic step for the country's progress toward democracy.

North Dakotans vote on college nickname controversy

North Dakotans will head to the polls Tuesday to decide whether to prevent the University of North Dakota's sports teams from dropping their Fighting Sioux nickname.

The issue stems from the NCAA's longstanding efforts to get most Native American nicknames and logos out of college athletics. In 2005, the NCAA ordered some 20 schools whose nicknames and mascots it deemed "abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin" to either get Native American permission to use their name and likeness, or to come up with new ones.

The North Dakota Board of Higher Education agreed five years ago to retire the nickname, but North Dakotans who were opposed to the decision - including some Native Americans - forced a referendum.

The NCAA says that if UND doesn't drop the nickname, the school won't be eligible to host NCAA championship events.

U.S. Open Golf Championship swings into City by the Bay

Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland will defend his U.S. Open Golf Championship title against a host of past champions and rising challengers. The tournament at San Francisco's Olympic Club Lake Course, notorious for its narrow, tree-lined fairways, begins Thursday. USGA Executive Director Mike Davis offers an interactive virtual tour of the course at CNN partner Golf.com.

This is the 112th U.S. Open, the fifth at The Olympic Club. CNN partner Sports Illustrated's world-class photographers have covered every one since the magazine launched in 1954.

McIlroy, just 23, hopes to repeat his performance of last year at The Congressional in Washington, where he broke or tied 12 U.S. Open records while cruising to an eight-stroke victory. He'll have to fend off the resurgent 2008 champion Tiger Woods, along with Dustin Johnson, who chased down and overtook McIlroy on Sunday to win the St. Jude Classic at Memphis, Tennessee.

Post by:
Filed under: Ahead of the curve
  1. TheZogNJ

A loss on one side of a trade generates a gain on the other side. JPMC may have lost a few billion but someone made a few billion. That's business.

June 10, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Jeff Frank:
    Good Old Peanuts & Raisins?

June 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

Omg dazzle, i remember those rulers on the knuckles vividly! And kneeling on rice in the corner, whoa! Not fond childhood memories for sure!

June 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, they made you kneel on rice. Awful. We were threatened to being sent to the Priest or the Head Nun.

June 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

not me @ ll:04. And it is a big deal, use your own freakin name. I presume you remember what it is dont you? Maybe not since you use so many others.

June 10, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

Good night to my friends, any posts under my name after this will NOT be me.

June 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Allister crowlley

I have found my two favorite people in this new world that they have slipped into intentionaly with no reservations they have come closer to me there creator and the one of righteousness and eyes of fire they have come unto me in need of help to cleanse there souls of righteousness by fire and i shall not stud my crown with there eyes and neither shall i build my palaces with there bones just come unto me my children and i shall save your souls from the light

June 10, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Satanic Temple at Cefalu ©™

@ Allister crowlley:
      When Choronzon led you to write "there" thrice, did you mean to write "their?"

June 11, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Almost Miller Time"

@banasy
    We make homemade Gorp. Ours is different, because it contains no nuts. So ours contains ganola, raisins, dried banana slices, and m&m's. Not hard to chew. Not to bad for digestion. Makes a pretty good snack.

June 11, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Hamsta

No word on obama leaking all that classified info? All the other news sites have been reporting on that for a month. Just goes to show you that cnn is obama's personal propoganda machine. I know that's politics but it's also front page news.

June 11, 2012 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Was it news about Catholic schools that promoted interest in the occult?
    If Roman Catholic nuns don't agree with Vatican policies that guarantee copious reproduction in the flock, there are many Protestant denominations in which these women could make a contribution to society.

June 11, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. aurelius

Any time bigotry is on trial like in this case, it is a step forward toward a more just and civilized world. But then, if bigotry, and its derivatives –prejudice and racism, didn't play a part in the political process, the GOP would collect less than 30% of the votes in the upcoming election.

June 11, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Hamsta

I finally got a new touch screen phone with a functional keyboard, my grammer and punctuation should get much better. Thank you everyone for having patience!

June 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Hamsta, welcome back. I noticed you changed your u n and are capitalizing.

June 11, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superman

,,,Satanic temple at cefalu what do you care you in the same fire as me my child of darkness it matters not at correct spelling and the grammer where we come from does it not so what do you care

June 11, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Superman

Gd trolls kmock this off i know who you are

June 11, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hamsta

@Dazzle Its nice to be able to access the archives. My old phone didn't have enough memory to do that or even load a discussion with more than 130 comments. Not to mention it was next to impossible to use proper puncuation because I had to open an options menu that would result in an error message and my browser resetting to the home page. Android is awesome. I can even speak to text, but I have to teach my phone. Whatever you do, don't buy an LG LX370, most useless phone I ever had. It was a 3G phone but my old 2G sanyo 7600 was more powerful.

June 12, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Hamsta

@Banasy I have heard you complain about the buttons on your phone. I have a touch screen. It also has speak to text. My fingers always push the wrong button on the touch screen. so I find it much easier to use the speak to text. I hope you got an android, its like a computer in your hand. My old phone was a piece of crap. On a separate subject I was researching what is in catnip and a ran across a video of a man who turned a dead cat into a helicopter. Look up cat helicopter on youtube. I can't decide if that was cool or cruel. I'm wondering when the animal rights activist will say something.

June 12, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |