June 10th, 2012

Syrian National Council elects Kurdish activist as new leader

Fifteen months into the Syrian crisis and with no end in sight, a prominent opposition body has elected Kurdish activist Abdul Baset Sieda as its new president in what could reinvigorate a political arm of the uprising.

Dozens of countries have recognized the SNC as a legitimate representative of the Syrian opposition, though many members of the group's leadership are expatriates.

But Syrian President Bashar al-Assad - who has received global disdain for lethally cracking down on dissidents seeking his ouster - has said he will not deal with opposition members influenced from the outside.

Meanwhile, renewed attacks on the anti-government bastion of Homs killed at least three people on Sunday, including citizen journalist Khaled Bakr, opposition activists said.

According to the LCC, random shelling tormented the Homs neighborhood of Talbiseh early Sunday, pausing every four minutes only to continue with artillery and mortars.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arab Spring • Syria • World
  1. Philip (1/8 blooded American Indian)

fact: The US government does to foreign nations exactly what the US government did to American Indians, other than giving them casino rights to shut them up.
    How dare you whom call yourselves "american Indians" accept casinos for what was done to my ancestors. (and YOURS.

June 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chief Many Slots

I second that !!!

June 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

lol @ banasy, you know the one! Blame it on the one that aint here to defend herself, then maybe no one will think its us (the dynamic duo) as if we are that stupid!

June 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip (1/8 blooded American Indian)

Yep. I would qualify for government assistance given to American Indians. But I wouldn't accept one single penny in exchange for justice.
    Like the San Diego family who settled out-of-court for 3 million dollars in exchange for not pursuing the man that rayped their boy. And the man didn't even have to pay for what he did! The San diego archdioses stole money dedicated to God and paid the bribe!
    (also reminds me of the 9/11 victims families who settled out-of-court on their lawsuits vs. the men who financed 9/11. Cash tendered is NOT justice served anymore than murdering suspects is!

June 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@chrissy:
    It's tedious, it's tiring, and I'm over it.
    Small minds, small hearts.

June 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip (1/8 blooded American Indian)

...and yes, it really ticks me off when I see someone who feels compelled to post tears and sorrow for the victims and their families while not caring enough to follow the ongoing victims family lawsuits! Amazing disparity this.

June 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Allister crowlley

To mary and phillipey how can i assist you today? It will cost you a small price though can you afford it or should i take something else from you ive almost bankrupt you two so whats left

June 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Allister crowlley

Have you two seen the writing on the wall i have a friend that has would you like to meet him and his soldiers they have fire in there eyes

June 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Philip:
    As you have no idea what I do, what lawsuits I follow, or anything about what I think, I find your statement to be disengenous.
    I further will never tell you any information about my family, or any lawsuit they may be involved in, for it is none. Of. Your. Business.
    I have seen, and experienced first hand, how such information gets twisted, therefore no informattion will be forthcoming from me.
    When I express my condolences, it is out of respect.
    I have yet to see any respect from you.
    Please stop attacking me.
    It is a very, very ugly side of you.
    Whether under the troll name 'Banazi' or not, I do not deserve it.
    If you wonder why people will not respond to you, antics such as this may be the place to start finding that answer.
    Have a pleasant afternoon.

June 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

I just dropped a large duece into my Depends diaper.

June 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Allister crowlley

My castles burn with fire to and the closer you get the larger the flames burn they await you in the heavens of the stars im beyond the necromancy of prayers im more powerfull than that MARY & PHILLIPY im they power of the world im the righteous one that you 2 have chossen to guid you to the fire on the stars everyone has there price just tell me what it is that you desire and i promise to deliver the blessings of my fire i can cleanse your souls of righteousness and give you the pwoer that you 2 have so desired for eternity

June 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

It smells like banasy©.

June 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Wow.
    I just dropped a fat duece in my shorts.

June 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Allister crowlley

To the indian and his mistress dont you see the fire in the sky my castles are burning you cant run from it by then its to late its ok to be yourselfes just come to me and i will give you the power a await you cant you two see whats before you eternal power to do whatever you wish,,,woe unto the earth and sea the devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short let him reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number the number is six hundred and sixty six

June 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Superman

Blah,,,blah,,,blah,,,what happened to every one just getting along on here

June 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Allister crowlley

Im getting closer but you must ask and it will be given a promise of warmth and prosperity for eternity

June 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |