June 14th, 2012

Thursday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

1:45 pm ET - Obama talks economy - President Obama will deliver a campaign speech on the economy in Cleveland, Ohio.  He'll then go to New York, where he'll visit the World Trade Center site.

1:50 pm ET - Romney in Ohio - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney will also be in the "Buckeye State" this afternoon.  He'll speak to workers and supporters at a factory in Cincinnati.

3:00 pm ET - Los Angeles Kings victory parade - The NHL's Los Angeles Kings won their first-ever Stanley Cup earlier this week, and fans will celebrate with a city parade in the team's honor.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Economy by the Britches

It was after dark before I got back to the park next to the soup kitchen. In the past, I've seen this park covered with people at night...not this night, though. There were only 8 or 10...most, like me, in the shadows of a tree. And it was damp and windy, sprinkling rain a bit off and on. I rolled a pair of old greasy coveralls out, along with two towels for blankets and my backpack pillow. Then i noticed a younger looking woman laying face down in the grass next to a four-legged crutch. (walker) She was wearing white sweatpants and a white tanktop. I walked up to her...her face was buried in her arms, but I could still see her one eye looking at me. (She had really pretty long blonde hair too) "Are you OK miss?"...(cont)

June 14, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Right

75%. Right. Don't believe a word of it. None. Sorry. Doesn't pass the smell test. They just told you, right? Nope. Not buying it. Or this faery tail.

June 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Economy by the Britches

..."Would you like a bottle of water? I have extra" I said. She struggled to get up on one elbow, and that's when I noticed she was a young man. (shrug) "Oopsy. Sorry. Thought you were a girl. Thirsty?" "Yeaheahh" he said, "but too weak" and away his face went back into his arms. Satisfied "she" wasn't dead, I strolled back to my squat. The wind picked up, so I put my greasy coveralls on instead of laying on them. I was going to give my towels to the "girl", but just then a man walked up and asked what i wanted, greeting his friend on the ground. "Nothing. Just seeing if your friend was oK" I said, and went back to squat and fell asleep to the stars of a parted cloud sky. ( not b4 seeing the two slam dope and leave. Perked that one "girl" right up!)
    About midnight I was awakened by sprinklers, broke "camp", and headed to the bleachers of a small baseball field I had made a mental note of earlier. I layed down in the nook along the edge of the east side bleacher, and was out like a light, thanking God. (cont)

June 14, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Economy by the Britches

Along about 3am, I was again awkened to water sprinkling on me from the grass sprinklers. I couldn't believe someone had aimed them at the bleachers. What a rookie homeless person me. I moved clear to the west end, went back to sleep, and an hour later was getting soaked by sprinklers again! I moved onto a table under a gazebo and slept till my usual 5am.
    To you naysayers, this is a true accounting. And I can spot an addict, being a recovering one myself...for nearly 1/4 century. (and lets not pretend that America doesn't spend more on mind-altering pharmaceuticals than on National Defense, plus booze, smoking crack, etc.

June 14, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Barney

Well that sure explains why your mind works in that peculiar way of yours! Being a recovering drug addict i mean! You having flashbacks are ya? Golly, and for a brief moment i thought you were on a trek of compassion, nice to know you were halucinating!

June 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

My summation: most people negatively affected by this latest economic downturn have been taken care of by our social programs, both public and private. A small % have ended-up homeless b/c of this economic disaster, but by-ald-large our homeless are the same as they've always been: people with substance abuse problems that won't waste our good social security disability money we give them on food, preferring booze, drugs, and handouts, repleat with a life spent living in a tent community down by the river. Happy as bugs in a rug.

June 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Right

I've become adept at spotting crazy people. It's not hard. Their eyes. Always their eyes. Crazy, piercing, thousand-yard eyes. Like Charlie Manson eyes.

June 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Right

I have also observed many things. I can spot a liar. By their words. Their contradicting words. Observe the written word, for 6 months from now it will change. Funny. Actually, hilarious. For the story will subtly change. Thing is, they believe their own story, it becomes truth to them. Sad. Not so funny I guess.

June 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

This is all true. It is you who are lying, for obviously, you have no way of knowing what I did or didn't do this past weekend or any other. That you would take the time to even call me a liar is most revealing.

June 14, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Awww @ bobcat, ty, and i didnt really think anyone had noticed my absence. Ive missed your daily funnies tho. This other stuff, not so much.

June 14, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@Philip:
    A most interesting trip.
    Philip's Excellent Adventure.
    I didn't see anyone call you a liar.
    I just saw somebody making observations, same as you.
    Oh, well.

@chrissy:
    Hey, lady!!

June 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

Not me @ 10:30

June 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

That's not raven
    That's not Mary.
    Play NICE, blog-o-matic!
    Here I thought raven was here...
    I'm going to rescind that crack a cold one offer...

June 14, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Cut the crap, little mister!
    We do NOT need this!

June 14, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

You haven't said anything except you hate libs and are trying to cause trouble.
    All you are doing is trolling people and trying to get people at each other's throats.
    Call me names, if that's how you get your jollies.
    Have at it.