June 16th, 2012

Polls open in Egypt amid political chaos

CAIRO (CNN) - Egyptians started casting their ballots Saturday in a presidential runoff that pits two candidates whose platforms are at the crux of the country's political chaos.

On one side, an Islamist backed by the political arm of the Muslim Brotherhood. On the other, a former air force general who served as the last prime minister in the waning days of Hosni Mubarak's regime.

And sitting in the background, overseeing the election - and the creation of a new constitution - are the military rulers who have been in control of the country since Mubarak was ousted from power last year.

The biggest question facing the at least 50 million Egyptians eligible to cast ballots in the runoff is what happens after voters decide between Mohamed Morsi of the Justice and Freedom Party, the Muslim Brotherhood's political arm, and former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. dazzle ©

@bobcat (in a hat)©, Hello sir and how are you this afternoon?When I logged on and saw you as a recent commenter, I clicked and anticipated a joke. I hope you are right that the US won't be backing whomever should "win" this election. I used the quotes because I am being sarcastic.

June 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©,

Joe was a single guy living at home with his father and working in the family business. When he found out he was going to inherit a fortune when his sick father died, he decided he needed a wife with whom to share his fortune.
    One evening at an investment seminar he spotted the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her beauty took his breath away. “I may look like just an ordinary man,” he said to her, “but in just a few years, my father will pass, and I’ll inherit his large fortune.”
    Impressed, the woman took his business card and three months later, she became Joe’s stepmother.

June 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ dazzle ©

Hello to you ma'am. How are you doing ? I don't get much chance to talk with you anymore. How is the training of your replacement coming along ?
    I haven't had as much opportunity to blog lately and feel like I'm falling out of touch with my friends here.
    The atmosphere has changed a lot on these blogs to, since all the hijacking of names started. It used to be fun.

June 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

...i'm just glad bobcat's punchline wasn't 'three months later, she's a man, and now Joe has two dads.' 🙂

June 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Hi, bobcat.
    I feel there are a lot of different factors as to why the tone of CNN has changed.
    The trolls and hijackers are one.
    Willfull misunderstanding of plainly-worded posts are another; I take Umbrage© with that, as well.

You're right; these blog are not so much fun anymore.

June 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle ©

@bobcat (in a hat)©, Good to see you on here, our schedules seem to be opposite each other. TY for the joke and it can be all too real when someone is brainless. I set my replacement loose yesterday and I expect she will do very well unless my employees were just playing nice while I was there. Have you been blogging here for long? In the short time I've been here it has really become annoying but I wonder how long that it has gone on. Hope the hurricane mess passed you by. Only a minor wildfire close to me but it has been contained thanks to the wonderful first responders which you may have trained in your work. A 20% chance of rain today which will be good for the earth and good for me.

June 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

awww bobcat, the last cpl days have actually pleasant. & theyve been doing a pretty good job deleting the troll posts havent they dazzle? Oh & btw dazzle i AM rethinking that hip surgery. 2day my hip went out and i nearly fell off my porch on2 the cement.

June 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@Rawr:
    Ha!
    Good joke.

June 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

Ha! I can't believe THAT posted while half a dozen other attempts to post genuine on-topic didn't. Go finger. (not a typo) he he 🙂

June 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Philip, good afternoon and whatever are you talking about being posted?

June 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dazzle ©

@chrissy, they seem to be doing okay on that. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that the hip is becoming an issue. You don't want a slip and fall with further damage. I'm glad you are rethinking.

June 16, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Yea well my daughter, not so delicately pointed out its my duty...to myself, lol and its hers to take care of me! Fearing that, i figure i better cuz i dont wanta face that fate ANYTIME soon, if you catch my drift! lol

June 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, I do get your drift. At least you have someone in the house that can take care of you during your recovery.

June 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

@ Philip, who do YOU believe would be the lesser of the two evils as far as Egypts two candidates? You seem to be knowledgable on this subject. Ive always been of the opinion when faced with 2 evils, go with the l you know. Not so sure here tho.

June 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dazzle ©

@bobcat (in a hat)©, I love the not PC one. At least the contestants didn't umbrage about shrinkage, well I guess the head wouldn't have that concern. Mine will probably be immediately deleted.

June 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

lol OMG, @ bobcat, yup thats a groaner!

June 16, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@dazzle ©
    I've been on these blogs for about a year, give or take. It seems this hijacking started within the last six months or so.
    We used to have a lot of off the wall coversations, and all of a sudden the mass deletions, highjacking and troublemaking started. It;s gotten worse since CNN changed their format.

@ banasy©
    Yeah, things have really changed. We still have our fun from time to time, but it's getting harder to do so.

@chrissy
    Unfortunately I haven't had as much time to enjoy everyones company lately.

June 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |