Father's Day, by the numbers
It's estimated that 94 million Father's Day cards are exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.
June 17th, 2012

Father's Day, by the numbers

Every year on the third Sunday in June, we celebrate Dad with his own day.  The idea sprang from the mind of one woman who thought that fathers, just like mothers, deserved their own holiday. Sonora Louise Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, celebrated the first Father's Day on June 19, 1910 - her father's birthday.

In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge publicly supported a national Father's Day, and in 1966, President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed it a national holiday. Following up in 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a permanent U.S. Father's Day into law, observed on the third Sunday in June.

Father's Day is also the fourth-largest card-sending occasion. Here's a breakdown of the other intriguing numbers that follow this holiday.

70.1 million – The estimated number of fathers in the United States

24.7 million – The number of married men with children under 18 at home in the United States

1.7 million – The number of single fathers in the United States in 2011.

170,000 – The number of single fathers raising three or more children.

176,000 – Estimated number of stay-at-home dads in the U.S. in 2011.

94 million – Estimated number of Father’s Day cards exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.

$117.14 – Estimated amount that the average person will spend on Father’s Day gifts in 2012, according to the National Retail Federation.

$12.7 billion – Estimated amount that consumers will spend on Father’s Day cards and gifts in 2012.

1910 – The first Father’s Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington.

1972 – The year President Richard Nixon signed the law that designates the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day.

[cnn-video url="http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/living/2012/06/15/open-mic-fathers-day.cnn.html"%5D

Just for fun – daddies, papas and fathers

92 – Age of Les Colley of Australia at the birth of his son Oswald in 1992. He holds the Guinness World Record for the oldest man to father a child.

0 – Number of children fathered by Presidents George Washington, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan and Warren Harding.

$1.22 billion – Estimated sales at pizza restaurant Papa John’s in 2011, according to Hoovers.com

1 – Highest chart position on the Billboard Hot 100 for “Papa Don’t Preach” by Madonna.

$15 – Cost of a loaf of “Papa Don’t Peach” bread made by Breadwinner bakery in Atlanta.

3 – Number of awards won by the Temptations’ song “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” at the 1972 Grammy Awards.

50 – Number of years the Rolling Stones have been together with Mick Jagger as lead singer.

7 – Number of children fathered by Mick Jagger.

Here on CNN.com, we're also celebrating "Dear Old Dad" with our special coverage. Be sure to check this ultimate guide to the stories that pay tribute to Dad, whether he's no longer with us or enjoying Sunday's holiday on the couch with his favorite meal, and his favorite people.

1. Old Driller w/no TV (Philip, duh)

LMAO. As if there are zero American moms and dads that allow their daughters to goto school dressed like tramps in dark makeup. Get a clue girl!

June 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Old driller/Philip:
    Were you talking to me?
    I am unsure, as your post wasn't addressing anyone in particular.

June 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©,

Happy Fathers Day to fathers everywhere.

But you know, those three words can have a very shallow meaning. . Almost every man can be a father. Some fathers are never around. Some fathers could care less about their chldren. Some fathers don't even know they're fathers. The only thing men with children have in common is that one word. Father. Sometimes that's all it is.

Personally, I think they should start calling it Dads Day. DAD. Now that is a title that really has some meaning. Dad's are there for their children. Dad's are the men who make sure their chidren are safe. Dad's are there when you're hurting. Dad's are there with sound advice when you need it. This list for what it means to be a dad is infinite.

Remember---Any man can be a FATHER------It takes a special man to be a DAD

June 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©,

Happy Fathers Day to fathers everywhere.

Personally, I think they should start calling it Dads Day. DAD. Now that is a ti tle that really has some meaning. Dad's are there for their children. Dad's are the men who make sure their chidren are safe. Dad's are there when you're hurting. Dad's are there with sound advice when you need it. This list for what it means to be a dad is infinite.

Remember---Any man can be a FATHER------It takes a special man to be a DAD

June 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©,

A father passing by his son's bedroom was astonished to see the bed was nicely made and everything was picked up. Then he saw an envelope propped up prominently on the center of the bed. It was addressed, "Dad". With the worst premonition, he opened the envelope and read the letter with trembling hands:

Dear Dad,

It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to elope with my new girlfriend because I wanted to avoid a scene with mom and you. I've been finding real passion with Joan and she is so nice even with all her piercing, tattoos and her tight motorcycle clothes. But it's not only the passion dad, she's pregnant and Joan said that we will be very happy. Even though you don't care for her as she is so much older than I, she already owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter.

She wants to have many more children with me and that's now one of my dreams too. Joan taught me that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone and we'll be growing it for us and trading it with her friends for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want! In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for AIDS so Joan can get better; she sure deserves it!!

Don't worry Dad. Someday I'm sure we'll be back to visit so you can get to know your grandchildren.

Your son,

Benjamin

P. S. Dad, none of the above is true. I'm over at the neighbor's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things in life than my report card that's in my desk center drawer. I love you! Call when it is safe for me to come home.

June 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Rawr:
    Happy Dad's Day!!!

My older daughter calls my hubs dad...and she calls her father 'Bio-Dave'.
    I think that pretyy much says it all, doesn't it?

June 17, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©,

Bio-Dave. Now that is funny. I love it.

June 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Yep, that's what she calls him.
      I laugh every time.

June 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Rawr:
    Omg!
    That was a GREAT joke!
    Talk about a soft-sell...lmao!

June 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Moussa Konate

They say all Fathers expect there children to be better but today i say i wish to be like my father.... Moussa Konate Happy Fathers day to all the dads upthere "RIP Yero Mbaye Konate"

June 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©,

Dear Dad,

$chool i$ really great. I am making lot$ of friend$ and $tudying very hard. With all my $tuff, I $imply can't think of anything I need, $o if you would like, you can ju$t $end me a card, a$ I would love to hear from you.

Love,
    Your $on
    -----
    The Reply:
    ----–
    Dear Son,

I kNOw that astroNOmy, ecoNOmics, and oceaNOgraphy are eNOugh to keep even an hoNOr student busy. Do NOt forget that the pursuit of kNOwledge is a NOble task, and you can never study eNOugh.

Love,
    Dad

June 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

I kNOw what you mean about $tudying.

June 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@bc(iah)©:
    I just read your 1st joke to my hubs.
    He lhao.com
    We had a very dear friend, Charlie, who passed last summer.
    He had a joke for every occasion, same as you do.
    You're our Charlie of the 'net, now.
    Have I said Happy Dad's Day yet?

June 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©,

The little girl was sitting in her grandfather's lap as he read her a goodnight story. From time to time, she would take her eye's off the book and reach up to touch his wrinkled cheek. By and by she was alternately stroking her own cheek, then his again.
      Finally she spoke, "Granddaddy, did God make you?"
      "Yes, sweetheart" he answered, "God made me a long time ago."
      "Oh she said," then "Granddaddy, did God make me too?"
      "Yes, indeed honey" he assured her. "God made you just a little while ago."
      "Oh" she said. Feeling their respective faces again, she observed, "God's getting better at it now isn't he?"

June 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ banasy©

That's really nice of you to say that. It pleases me that I can fill an empty spot for you guys..
      Tell hubs I said Happy Dads day to him as well.

June 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. pmk1953

Banasy, I agree with your earlier post. My dad did all the things you mentioned and more. He taught me to respect women, to question authority, to never stop learening, to fix things and to build things. I try to teach any child who's parents I've been associated with. No big esoteric stuff, just to look around you and see the wonder of nature, to be curious and learn about the hows and whys of things. I guess it works. Dee's 16 year old daughter, Kelly, called me today to wish me a happy father's day. She told me she has 2 fathers, the one she calls dad and me. I'm still bawling. The other day I was on lunch break at work, so, Icouldn't answer you. It wasn't Powder I scared laughing at Bobcat's joke, it was the shop cat, Purrb.i.tch. No, I didn't name her.

June 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Hellp, pmk1953!
    How are you, my old friend?
    I find that one doesn't necessarily have to be a father to be a good Dad.
    You've proven that...
    How is 'The Boss' these days?

June 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@Rawr:
    Yes, I will.
    You're a good egg.

June 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

"Dad" is short for 'father'. The two mean the exact same thing. (vs. sperm donor)
    My dad was a sperm donor drunk barfly, just as I was as a young man. (became a husband and father @25)
    Mom? She refused welfare after dad left us because back then if you were on public assistance and had children, the court ordered a childrens advocate to get involved with your life. And my mom sure as heck didn't want the court to know of my many "uncles", or of us 5 kids going hungry as mom partied. Really. I wore bread sacks over my socks to keep my feet fry. (wholey shoes, one pair)
    Even a biatch (female dog) doesn't need ordered to feed her pups, and there's no Blue Ribbon for a mom who does. Nor is there a Black Ribbon for those who don't. (unless you view a life spent living on public assistance (welfare) as such.
    These holidays are veneers over reality. In my humble albiet bodacious opinion(s) Even my richfriends had moms strung-out on "painkillers", dads gone working and cheating. And that was back in the 60s.

June 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |