Father's Day, by the numbers
It's estimated that 94 million Father's Day cards are exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.
June 17th, 2012

Father's Day, by the numbers

Every year on the third Sunday in June, we celebrate Dad with his own day.  The idea sprang from the mind of one woman who thought that fathers, just like mothers, deserved their own holiday. Sonora Louise Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, celebrated the first Father's Day on June 19, 1910 - her father's birthday.

In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge publicly supported a national Father's Day, and in 1966, President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed it a national holiday. Following up in 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a permanent U.S. Father's Day into law, observed on the third Sunday in June.

Father's Day is also the fourth-largest card-sending occasion. Here's a breakdown of the other intriguing numbers that follow this holiday.

70.1 million – The estimated number of fathers in the United States

24.7 million – The number of married men with children under 18 at home in the United States

1.7 million – The number of single fathers in the United States in 2011.

170,000 – The number of single fathers raising three or more children.

176,000 – Estimated number of stay-at-home dads in the U.S. in 2011.

94 million – Estimated number of Father’s Day cards exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.

$117.14 – Estimated amount that the average person will spend on Father’s Day gifts in 2012, according to the National Retail Federation.

$12.7 billion – Estimated amount that consumers will spend on Father’s Day cards and gifts in 2012.

1910 – The first Father’s Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington.

1972 – The year President Richard Nixon signed the law that designates the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day.

[cnn-video url="http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/living/2012/06/15/open-mic-fathers-day.cnn.html"%5D

Just for fun – daddies, papas and fathers

92 – Age of Les Colley of Australia at the birth of his son Oswald in 1992. He holds the Guinness World Record for the oldest man to father a child.

0 – Number of children fathered by Presidents George Washington, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan and Warren Harding.

$1.22 billion – Estimated sales at pizza restaurant Papa John’s in 2011, according to Hoovers.com

1 – Highest chart position on the Billboard Hot 100 for “Papa Don’t Preach” by Madonna.

$15 – Cost of a loaf of “Papa Don’t Peach” bread made by Breadwinner bakery in Atlanta.

3 – Number of awards won by the Temptations’ song “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” at the 1972 Grammy Awards.

50 – Number of years the Rolling Stones have been together with Mick Jagger as lead singer.

7 – Number of children fathered by Mick Jagger.

Here on CNN.com, we're also celebrating "Dear Old Dad" with our special coverage. Be sure to check this ultimate guide to the stories that pay tribute to Dad, whether he's no longer with us or enjoying Sunday's holiday on the couch with his favorite meal, and his favorite people.

1. Philip

...veneers over our National reality. Of course there are exeptions.

June 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pmk1953

Pretty good. I haven't told her what her monster did yet. She'll probably bawl more than I did. I got a job. Finally. I have a racing buddy who started his own engine shop. He finally got big enough to need an assembler. That's what I do. I like working with my hands. He's teaching me how to run the dyno. It's interesting to play on the dyno. He put together a deisel engine for a local tractor puller. It has 1100 plus horsepower and 2700 ft-lbs of torque. You can pull stumps with thqt much power. I've lost 35 pounds since I've been back to work. I feel much better physically and mentally. The boss likes the improvements, too. I gotta go I'm being paged now. (gotta keep the boss happy ; + ) )

June 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matty

A man can father a child. Can a man dad a child? Nope.

June 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barney

Hey Philip, DUH, arent you divorced? And yet you are belittleing others for what you, yourself have done! What a hypocritical fool you are.

June 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ Philip

I also began my life in very humble surroundings. Since we have been able to survive and bring ourselves out of that poverty, I would say we have accomplished a great deal in our lives. Our ultimate goal as dads should be to ensure that our children don't have to endure the hardships we faced as children. Though I have never forgotten where I came from, I don't let myself dwell on the past.

June 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

"National Reality" troll Barney. You can take it personal if you wish.
    But yeah, both my father abandoned me, as did my ex-wife who took my daugher with her accross state lines w/o my knowledge. (aka kidnapping) I didn't want a divorce b/c their were no legal grounds for one. I believe the only truly legal ground for divorce are adultry (cheating is what it's called nowadays) "Irreconcialable Differences" doesn't hold water. (spellcheck) 🙂
    She kept nagging me for a divorce the same way she kept nagging at me to get married! On both occassions, I FINALLY caved-in to a womans way of thinking, yielding, actually.
    And aren't some 80% of US divorced?
    Shoo! you little fly troll Barney.

June 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Hello @bobcat. True, true. That's why I paid 500 per mo. child support. (Texas State would have ordered me to pay 237/mo if we had duked it out in court) And, when my ex moved my daughter to Laguna Niguel to pursue her carreer, I beagn paying 600/mo. Daycare cost 450/mo back then. Plus I got my daughter every single weekend. Her and I practically lived at Disneyland. he he.
    As an abused child myself, through years of therapy I have learned to turn these godawful events in my life into some of my most valuable assets.
    Adolph Hitler, also rayped when he was a boy, never had any therapy. He had Doktor Theo Morel injecting him with what Adolph was told were "vitamin shots", forerunners of todays SSRIs (antidepressants millions of Americans are on)
    Which reminds me, I'm rewriting my true story of how Adolph became what we all know him as. Coming soon to a road less travelled here. 🙂

June 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©,

@ Philip

Some people to really have a rough way to go in life. I have many friends who have endured much of what you say. Some, through therapy, others through the hard knocks school of life have all become productive citizens. Though things that hit you so hard in youth can truly become the source of your strengths later in life. I happy to hear you are using it for srtength now.

You've got me really curious about your writings on Hitler, and I am really looking forward reading your thoughts.

June 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

If one chooses not to honor their father, don't.
    There are many men who do not deserve that honor, this is true.
    To castigate all GOOD fathers, because one's own father wasn't, isn't right, either.
    Thank goodness we have a forum which we can air our opinions.
    Barney and Philip BOTH have that right, and should, without fear of being called trolls.

To my friends chrissy and raven:
    I am thinking about you both today.
    I am so sorry for your recent loss of your beloved Dads.

June 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

ooooh stoppit banasy...happy father's day to every male person...it honors the one who fulfills his role, it reminds the one who's slacking there's another day to do better, and a call to those whom are not fathers there maybe vacancies and model that fatherhood to all those you encounter...HAPPY FATHER'S DAY EVERYONE!

June 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, stoppit yourself, Mmmmm; did you not see my first post on the subject?
      I suppose it's been your mission lately to take Umbrage© with everything I say.

June 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

oooh...the sun is shining and a blue butterfy just pass me by and the breeze just carried my bubbles away...i luv you banasy...

June 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

...and the unicorns are cavorting in the distance with their shiny manes twinkling in the sunlit meadow...I know you do, Mmmmm.

June 17, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mickey1313

For all the men who are fathers, and do there fatherly duty, i salute you. Making babies does not make you a father. HAPPY FATHERS DAY DAD

June 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

if makin babees don't make yer a father...don't kno' what else would...these vocations are gifts from life: mother father son daughter cousin uncle aunt husband wife sister brother grandmother grandfather...they are bestown on you because of the precious existence of another...abandoning these titles and their respective vocation do not make them disappear...these are honorable gifts and their respective titles are
      irrevocable...it supercedes every earthly authority and earthly law...it is a "royal enthronement" of divine origin that should not be taken for granted...

June 17, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Yep, @bobcat. And the writing I speak of is not my opinion. It is what I have found after decades of research. I'm rewriting it b/c of just that...people thinking it was just my opinion.
    The last time I posted Adolph's story here was off the top of my head. My revamp will be including citations from sources most already trust, along with exact dates, names, etc.
    And ty for being interested. Much of what has happened to US happened to German citizens back then. They even had their very own 9/11! Learn from, not history, but history of Nations.
    Anyway, ttl. (US Open time 4 me 🙂 (golf)

June 17, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©,

Why CNN have you again taken down my jokes ? They were on topic and being used to honor the humorous side of fatherhood. I'm sure even your fathers would have appreciated them.

June 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Right,@bc(iah).
      They delete your jokes, yet leave all the hijacking troll posts on the latest Egyptian thread.
      No rhyme or reason...

@Mmmmm:
      Not every male is a father.

@mickey1313:
      Right on.

June 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

beg to differ every male has the potential for fatherhood....

June 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Unless they're born sterile...
      Ah, you just like to snarkgue....

June 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ...

...and not every father figure is a male.
    Happy Mothers Day, Elton John.

June 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Barney

Sorry.

June 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ...

Just b/c one doesn't approve of the other one's lifestyle choices doesn't mean that Love for one another is gone.
    Still, I would rather he had married his true love, Bernie Taupin.
    I can lip sync the entire Yellow Brick Road album, you hater of me.
    I love Elton John, and Elton John loves me just as he loves all of his fans.

June 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Who dat crocodile lady?

"She's the juvenile [delinquent] product of the working class, whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass. 🙂
    "Her old man's drunker than a barrel full of monkeys. And her old lady just don't care."
    "Don't give me nunna YER aggrevation"

June 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |