Father's Day, by the numbers
It's estimated that 94 million Father's Day cards are exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.
June 17th, 2012

Father's Day, by the numbers

Every year on the third Sunday in June, we celebrate Dad with his own day.  The idea sprang from the mind of one woman who thought that fathers, just like mothers, deserved their own holiday. Sonora Louise Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, celebrated the first Father's Day on June 19, 1910 - her father's birthday.

In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge publicly supported a national Father's Day, and in 1966, President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed it a national holiday. Following up in 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a permanent U.S. Father's Day into law, observed on the third Sunday in June.

Father's Day is also the fourth-largest card-sending occasion. Here's a breakdown of the other intriguing numbers that follow this holiday.

70.1 million – The estimated number of fathers in the United States

24.7 million – The number of married men with children under 18 at home in the United States

1.7 million – The number of single fathers in the United States in 2011.

170,000 – The number of single fathers raising three or more children.

176,000 – Estimated number of stay-at-home dads in the U.S. in 2011.

94 million – Estimated number of Father’s Day cards exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.

$117.14 – Estimated amount that the average person will spend on Father’s Day gifts in 2012, according to the National Retail Federation.

$12.7 billion – Estimated amount that consumers will spend on Father’s Day cards and gifts in 2012.

1910 – The first Father’s Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington.

1972 – The year President Richard Nixon signed the law that designates the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day.

[cnn-video url="http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/living/2012/06/15/open-mic-fathers-day.cnn.html"%5D

Just for fun – daddies, papas and fathers

92 – Age of Les Colley of Australia at the birth of his son Oswald in 1992. He holds the Guinness World Record for the oldest man to father a child.

0 – Number of children fathered by Presidents George Washington, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan and Warren Harding.

$1.22 billion – Estimated sales at pizza restaurant Papa John’s in 2011, according to Hoovers.com

1 – Highest chart position on the Billboard Hot 100 for “Papa Don’t Preach” by Madonna.

$15 – Cost of a loaf of “Papa Don’t Peach” bread made by Breadwinner bakery in Atlanta.

3 – Number of awards won by the Temptations’ song “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” at the 1972 Grammy Awards.

50 – Number of years the Rolling Stones have been together with Mick Jagger as lead singer.

7 – Number of children fathered by Mick Jagger.

Here on CNN.com, we're also celebrating "Dear Old Dad" with our special coverage. Be sure to check this ultimate guide to the stories that pay tribute to Dad, whether he's no longer with us or enjoying Sunday's holiday on the couch with his favorite meal, and his favorite people.

1. dazzle ©

Happy Dad's day to all of the guys in blog land and for the girls who have to play both mom and dad. I am feeling a bit sentimental about my dad today, he epitomized what a true father should be like and now that he is gone, his daughter only respects him more and appreciates the sacrifices he made so that his 4 kids were able to grow up to be what they all are today. Dad I was able to say 4 at last.

June 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Ah, I love Elton John!
    I saw him in '75.
    What an interesting exhange above, since I last checked in.
    One of my favories on GYBR is 'I've Seen That Movie, Too.'
    @...: Elton may have loved BT, but Bernie isn't gay.

June 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@dazzle©:
    Aw.
    What a lovely tribute to your Dad.
    I truly wish that he could have witnessed your reunion with Paul.
    I feel he did, anyway.

June 17, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy©, I feel that he does know too! Paul and I look so much like him and so does the kid, who seemed to have a busy troll. The bad azz version was funny in a way but the thirsty one with the dry martini with a twist and pass the peanuts was brutally funny. Hope your day is going well my friend.

June 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@dazzle©:
      To tell you the truth, I didn't read them...I know it's not her, so I skip them.
      Are they still there, and if so, what thread?
      My day is going swimingly, pun intended, lol.
      How about yours?

June 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dazzle ©

@banasy©, I saw them when I got up at 6am practically crapping all over every thread but I haven't gone back to see if they are gone. I get the pun! I just took a long drive today, ac on the max, and my stereo cranked. Felt good to be out on the open road. A swim sounds pretty good right now..

June 17, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO ©

Hi all. My own father died a few years ago, but I am a father. Almost time to crack open a Sleeman's and barbeque some steaks. Happy father's day to all the other dads out there.

June 17, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

AND.....

Happy father's day to all the good priests out there.

June 17, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@BOMBO ©- LOL x 100

June 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I'm not just trying to stir it up. I actually know several good priests.

June 17, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@BOMBO ©, I know you are not stirring anything and neither am I by laughing. I have a priest in my family who is a very good priest, a true academic but he has been stirring things up for those of us that gave up the faith.

June 17, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Happy Father's Day, BOMBO.

June 17, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

re the Hallmark estimate: My kids MAKE their cards. So, no sale to you, large faceless corporation.

June 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Sure they have the potential, but they are not automatically, by being born a male, a father.
    Do you go around saying Happy Father's Day to little boys?
    I don't.
    I don't say Happy Potential Father's Day, either.
    What an absurd conversation!

June 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Odd. First it was not all fathers are dads. (that myth was destroyed) Now, it's been twisted into not all males are fathers! LMAO
    "Call no man father."-Jesus
    You folks chew on that one while I get back to my game. 🙂
    What next? Argue over what husbandry is?

June 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Philip.
      You disagreed with a Father vs. Dad thing.
      That is your opinion; you own
      There is no argument: all fathers are male, but not all males are fathers; c'mon now!

June 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@banasy 5:13. If that wasn't you and I in that exchange you mentioned, who was it? Obviously it was someone in this discussion group besides me using the handle '...'

June 17, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Philip:
      I don't know who the exhange between the dots were; that's why I said it was interesting.

June 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

@dazzle. It's nice hearing of a daughter thinking of her father. Your dad must have been a very good man to have his daughter thinking so much of and so highly of him. Yer one of the good eggs that hatched, evidently. Me? he he.
    Your 5:09 comment's last sentence reads " Dad I was able to say 4 at last." I don't understand what this means. Perhaps allow one of those who replied to this comment explain it to me before you do. Thanx in advance.
    Also, none have "given up the faith", faith in God. Everyone has faith in the sun coming up in the morning and faith in clouds bearing rain...knowing full well that it rains and shines on good and evil alike.

June 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Philip, thank you for that and you are a good egg too. My siblings and I have been living all over the world for 2 long and haven't been in the same space for many years. So after a relative who is a Catholic priest organized this family union, we were all together for the first time in too long. My issue with Catholicism was just with the ritual, dogma, and the fear based rhetoric. I have a strong belief in God but don't feel I have to be in a building to worship. Not sure if that makes any sense but I hope your day was special.

June 17, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BOMBO ©

As Father Flanagan might say, "knock off this arguin', or I'll give you a whippin' you won't soon forget."

June 17, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Wishing a man whose first son was born in 1960 was still here to hear "Happy Fathers Day dad"...Richard Dawson resting in peace.
    Now, I didn't know Richard Dawson any better as a man than I know Elton John. I can, however, lip sync most of his lines on Hogan's Heroes just as I can Elton John's Yellow Brick road album. (also every written word in the bible Jesus ever spoke)
    While loving all three men, I can only say that I honestly KNOW ('know', from the hebrew word 'yah dah'...to know intimately as Adam came to 'know' Eve) one of them, Jesus Christ, the only begotten son of God, with the rest of us being sons of Adam, according to Jesus. (save those Jesus called sons of God while calling others sons of Satan)
    To Know me is to Love me, if 'me' be a friend of Gods rather than one of God's enemies going-along with each of our godly laws that get overturned to make room for the ungodly to roam freely among US spreading disease to both mind and body.
    If you don't Love Jesus, it's b/c you don't know him.

June 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm new here

What??

June 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

It is none other than Jesus who is your true father. According to God's word "All things were created through him [Jesus] by him [Jesus] and for him [Jesus]."
    Jesus is your father, with Jesus' father being your heavenly grandfather, techinicly.
    "Call no man Father" said Jesus. Obviously, he wasn't refering to people calling their fleshly dad "father", for that would be stupid. No, he was refering to not calling any man 'father' in a spiritual sense, as some have the custom of doing even to this very day. (calling a spiritual leader 'father')
    "Goodbye Norma Jean, though I never knew you at all" goes Elton John's song of Marilyn Monroe, a woman who had an affair with JFK. Don't die before you get to KNOW God and his only begotten son, Jesus.
    Jesus really is THE greatest man who ever lived, plus he is alive.

June 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |