Father's Day, by the numbers
It's estimated that 94 million Father's Day cards are exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.
June 17th, 2012

Father's Day, by the numbers

Every year on the third Sunday in June, we celebrate Dad with his own day.  The idea sprang from the mind of one woman who thought that fathers, just like mothers, deserved their own holiday. Sonora Louise Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, celebrated the first Father's Day on June 19, 1910 - her father's birthday.

In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge publicly supported a national Father's Day, and in 1966, President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed it a national holiday. Following up in 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a permanent U.S. Father's Day into law, observed on the third Sunday in June.

Father's Day is also the fourth-largest card-sending occasion. Here's a breakdown of the other intriguing numbers that follow this holiday.

70.1 million – The estimated number of fathers in the United States

24.7 million – The number of married men with children under 18 at home in the United States

1.7 million – The number of single fathers in the United States in 2011.

170,000 – The number of single fathers raising three or more children.

176,000 – Estimated number of stay-at-home dads in the U.S. in 2011.

94 million – Estimated number of Father’s Day cards exchanged annually, according to Hallmark.

$117.14 – Estimated amount that the average person will spend on Father’s Day gifts in 2012, according to the National Retail Federation.

$12.7 billion – Estimated amount that consumers will spend on Father’s Day cards and gifts in 2012.

1910 – The first Father’s Day is celebrated in Spokane, Washington.

1972 – The year President Richard Nixon signed the law that designates the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day.

[cnn-video url="http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/living/2012/06/15/open-mic-fathers-day.cnn.html"%5D

Just for fun – daddies, papas and fathers

92 – Age of Les Colley of Australia at the birth of his son Oswald in 1992. He holds the Guinness World Record for the oldest man to father a child.

0 – Number of children fathered by Presidents George Washington, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan and Warren Harding.

$1.22 billion – Estimated sales at pizza restaurant Papa John’s in 2011, according to Hoovers.com

1 – Highest chart position on the Billboard Hot 100 for “Papa Don’t Preach” by Madonna.

$15 – Cost of a loaf of “Papa Don’t Peach” bread made by Breadwinner bakery in Atlanta.

3 – Number of awards won by the Temptations’ song “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” at the 1972 Grammy Awards.

50 – Number of years the Rolling Stones have been together with Mick Jagger as lead singer.

7 – Number of children fathered by Mick Jagger.

Here on CNN.com, we're also celebrating "Dear Old Dad" with our special coverage. Be sure to check this ultimate guide to the stories that pay tribute to Dad, whether he's no longer with us or enjoying Sunday's holiday on the couch with his favorite meal, and his favorite people.

1. Philip

...THE greatest father who ever lived on this earth made by Jesus with his father's help. Made by Jesus like a boy makes his dad a footstool to rest his feet on.
    "The earth is God's footstool" says his word.

June 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

Happy Fathers Day to all you dads! I wasnt going to visit this thread today because i thought it would be difficult, but my friends posts have helped. And to my dad, i love you and miss you terribly! And @ Philip, ill be looking for the rd less traveled!

June 17, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

@BOMBO, Jeep is made by Chrysler. I put over 275,000 miles on my 1987 Chrysler Jeep before I finally sold 'George'.
    But yeah, by and large, Chrysler has never been number one in my car book either. Especially since we had to bail them out. If not for the generosity of the US taxpayer, Chrysler wouldn't even be here for us to make fun of. 🙂

June 17, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Random Gibberish

Jesus and his great father may they have great joy at the eternal barbeque with Hogan's heroes and the toadstool of the vanities with Hallmark will surely be brought home to Texas while seeing kittens frolic happily until proven sterile and unable to be effective parents but Rodney King and God will soon know the word and argue with the holy church until the picnic commences for all fathers on CNN and the deleted jokes about dwarves.

June 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

:)@chrissy. LOL! You remembered!
    It took chrissy like 10 posts to get my thick skull to know what she meant by "road less travelled" about one year ago. I kept thinking it was a side road in Michigan. LMAO. She was, of course, refering to news stories here on CNN that recieve few comments.
    It's amazing that we are still here, considering the lowliness of our ancestors.

June 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

Philip, call me a traitor, but after being burned by two North American lemons over the years, I buy strictly Nipponese now. It doesn't even need to be the big 2 (Honda and Toyota). My last 2 cars have been Suzuki and Mazda, and they were both great workhorses. So now, Detroit, feel free to hate me.

June 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

lmao @ Philip, of course i remembered. And thank you for the laugh i got when i read that line in your post. I thought hmmm, i wonder how many people wont know what the heck that means. Lol.

June 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

But it was a great deal longer than a year ago! LOL my how time flies huh? And in 2 weeks while im canoeing down the AuSable River ill be remembering you and that conversation again! No mulled wine tho banasy sorry. 🙂

June 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hope

Happy Father's Day!

June 17, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philp

Ok @banasy. No biggie. 🙂 And @chrissy...(glowing warm smile remembering) Sit a little side-saddle in that canoe you speak of...might make the hip last the trip! he he.
    And @BOMBO...yep. Everyone needs to eat. I see no problem purchasing goods and services from members of our human family living on the other side of a line drawn in the dirt by some men.
    Gn all. And I too miss raven. Where's 'furnace' and Scottish Mama? RUFFNUTT too.
    Anyway, gn all. See ya tomorrow all rested-up and raring to go. (someone needs to reteach me when and when not to use an'e') Rareing? I remember there's a trick, but forgot. (shrug)
    And hope to see Joey over his flu soon. I really enjoy his company early Sunday mornings when most others are sleeping in. Gn 🙂

June 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

"In my life, I love you more".
    Fabulous song.
    I love The Beatles.

June 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hope

The song? For my father who liked the Beatles and the Eagles.

Forever Young,
      Hope

June 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@PhilipH
    No biggie?
    I wish I knew what you were regerring to!
    raven has been moving.
    Scottish Mama has chamged her name to Omama Mama until the race in November is over.
    Not hard to tell who she wants elected, is it, lol?
    I'm tired as well.
    Gn, sir.

June 17, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Well, I butchered that last post royally!
      One can tell I'm tired.
      Sleep well, friends.

June 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dazzle ©

In My Life was our wedding song. My new husband at the time sang it to me. Now I have to dig around and find this. I love this song but not for sentimental reasons.

June 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

lol and ewww now im remembering my wedding song! Color my world, hmmm thank you guys, this day started out so crappy and now i have perma grin! Although im havin a difficult time tryin to figure out how i can sit side saddle in a canoe? lol

June 18, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, you keep that grin and smile about your wedding song or lol. Just think how far you've come since those days..

June 18, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Those were the days alright, sure am glad their over though, cuz mostly he colored my world black and blue!

June 18, 2012 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |