June 17th, 2012

Intentions of Egypt's interim military rulers questioned amid runoff

CAIRO (CNN) - As Egyptians cast ballots Sunday in the second and final day of a runoff that will decide the country's first popularly elected leader, questions swirl about whether the military will actually relinquish power.

The runoff is taking place against a backdrop of political chaos: Egypt has no constitution and no parliament, following a court ruling just days before the runoff that invalidated an Islamist-dominated legislative body and then saw the military swiftly move to dissolve it ahead of the election.

Even the choice of candidates in the runoff appeared to reflect the political polarization spurred by the chaos: Mohamed Morsi, backed by the once-banned Muslim Brotherhood, and Ahmed Shafik, who served as the last prime minister in the waning days of Hosni Mubarak's regime.

The two-day runoff that began Saturday followed a May election that failed to produce a winner with a clear mandate.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. francois2012

OK

June 17, 2012 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

Yeah, but do you want Mormon on your President, or just plain-old Christian. (take, on 2 Egyptians. One zealot, one warmonger...comin' up. Creme in your coffee?)
    Good morning my friend Joey. 🙂 How are you this fine day?

June 17, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hungry Farmer

"No cream, thanx. OK. I'll have a B-52 burger with a side of Jesus. Make that Jesus rare, would ya?"

June 17, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Awe. Well, pls. tell Joey we all hope he gets to feeling better. That fllu can really get a feller down, especially if he is very young or very old. And that's not counting flu vaccines that disable a childs immune system for 3 wekks. (we had 17 children die from flu vaccines here in Colorado one season. Actually, they died from simple hospital staph infection. Or was it 'staff'? he he.
    Seriously though, give Joey a warm hug for us, would you, Mrs. I-F?

June 17, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Yeah, tragic indeed. Our local paper reported that 17 children had died from the flu. I practically had to sue them to print a retraction. A couple of months later, they did...stating that the children had died from simple staph infection, not the flu as originally reported.

June 17, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

I remember that case, but I thought it was more than just one staff member that died. Anyway, I do work for a hospital only off-site thank goodness.
    Morning all
    And my warm regards as well to Joey and his speedy recovery Mrs. Fettacinni... 😉 LOL

June 17, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

Good morning all, hope Sunday begins and ends with happiness.
    " Intentions of Egypt's military leaders questioned" well that sure is news.
    CNN in the tradition of our 'free' media keeps us glued to places like Syria and Egypt and Yemen. Keeping us well away from worries that may assail us if our attention is drawn to issues brewing at home and elsewhere in the neighborhood of these countries.
    See how our media struggles to keep us stress free and protected.

June 17, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Gm saywhat, It is when the 'mirror' is held up to the medias' eye that we find they are only giving us an illusion of 'truth' NOT the real world but it is the 'wool' that has been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth.
    I ask you one question: I have a blue pill in one hand, take and you'll wake and believe what you want, in the other hand I have a red pill, take it and the wool (veil) will be lifted to see the TRUTH of the REAL WORLD.
    Which will you take, saywhat? 😉

June 17, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

I would rather that we as a nation wake up to reality and truth @ Mary. The comfort zone of propaganda designed or self induced illusion is hard to resist but where we are headed calls for a 'red pill'.

June 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Wooo Hoooo! @ saywhat, 🙂 I'm still waiting for someone to show up and saw your reply, I believe that's the first step into saving ourselves. thanks and hagd

June 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

What is the purpose of any military leader? (hint: compare a domestic HS principle and his purpose, with that of a military school)
    We have a War College, where is our peace College? Missing in action?

June 17, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

*Peace College, rather. Where is it?

June 17, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

The troll must be cackling with glee.
    All of the posts up to Philip were a troll.

Good morning, folks.

June 17, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

That goes with out say banasy, I think your missing his point.
    Hagd

June 17, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

11:38 and 11:43 were not me.
    The only comment I made was about the troll, and this.

Kenny, give it a rest.
    You're causung hard feelings again.

June 17, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

As I said you miss his point and he will address, as I do NOT speak for him. Good day

June 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

11:58, 11:59, 12:05 isn't me.
    Two words: posting style.

June 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |