June 19th, 2012

Military official disputes report of Mubarak's clinical death

[Updated at 6:09 p.m. ET] Conflicting reports emerged late Tuesday over whether the 84-year-old former president of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, had died.

The state-run Middle East News Agency, citing medical sources, said he was declared clinically dead shortly after arriving at a military hospital in Cairo, where he was taken after suffering a stroke and cardiac arrest earlier in the day.

But Gen. Mamdouh Shahin, a member of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, told CNN, "He is not clinically dead as reported, but his health is deteriorating and he is in critical condition."

Fast facts about Hosni Mubarak

Adel Saeed, the official spokesman of the Egyptian prosecutor, had said earlier, "We were informed by prison authority that Mubarak's heart has stopped and they used electric shocks and CPR to resurrect him. He is now on an artificial respirator and doctors from the armed forces and International Medical Center will inspect him."

Nile TV reported that Mubarak had suffered a stroke.

Elizabeth Cohen, CNN's senior medical correspondent, said that "clinically dead" usually refers to someone who is brain-dead. In such a case, an electroencephalogram would indicate no real brain activity, she said.

Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison June 2 for the killing of pro-democracy demonstrators last year. He already was suffering from health problems and attended court on a gurney.

His health has been reported to be in decline since he was ousted as president of Egypt in February 2011. On June 11, a prosecutor's spokesman said Mubrak's health deteriorated after the verdict, and that defibrillators had been used several times to revive him "due to heart complications."

Mubarak's latest health crisis came on a day when both candidates who participated in a presidential runoff claimed victory.

iReport.com: Protests in Egypt

FULL STORY
  1. lisafrommars

Ahmed and Alicia: I surely would never wish a dictator like this on anyone. Too long USA has befriended stable powers because they were stable and open to our friendship...never being critical enough of the things they did internally. Too often we are on the wrong side of history because of this. It is a national shame.

June 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lerato

What's the true story.

June 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Martin

Mubarak is dead. He did not live his sentence. Egyptians are calling him a coward.

June 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Adolph Douglas

Same old story. Learn, not from History. Rather, learn from the History of nations
    (you know, governments of history and their empire building, nation building, invading and occupying, installing puppets, enslaveing, fooling their own citizens, using nationalism as if a crow bar, patriotism a mere hand drill. That history instant replayed over and over and over again. yawn)

June 19, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bob Knippel

Why would you even attempt to revive a person incarcerated for life? Dead is sentence served.

June 19, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Adolph Douglas

My HS history teacher wouldn't talk about it either. It was the only class ever less than a 'B' in my school carreer! And he gave me a freaking 'D'.
    Mr. Reddick. Your colon weighed at least 40 lbs. You waddled like a penguin. You were a Peace Hippy, NOT a model for our kids...long hair down to his shoulders. Glasses thick enough to be traced to DNA damage. He could have been gay. He was from out of town. There was no gay community back then. Not where I came from. Two boys held hands one day and got expelled for refusing to stop. (boys and girls weren't even allowed to hold hands) We did have a student lounge on property for heavy petting ...an old house we were allowed to fix-up ourselves. Each years Class would try to out-do the other.
    My class installed new carpet throughout! And a' course the usual painting and occassional puff of MJ. (8th grade) One teacher had hipower binoculars. But he always looked out of the same window.(blind spots)
    The first gay man I ever saw

June 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Adolph Douglas

...the first gay man I ever saw, saw me first. I was 23 and had been tranferred to Signal Hill, Long Beach CA. (kinda the armpit) by OILTOOLS INTERNATIONAL as part of a team to spread our worldwide domination of our chosen industry.
    Anyway, I bellied-up to the bar in my Wranglers, Justin Ropers (flat heel boots so you can eject from the saddle w/o getting snagged on high heels) straw hat, brush popper shirt perfect, HS Rodeo buckle polished from two steppin'...and I feel a familiar feeling. Girls oftentimes pinched my ass. I turned around. Another man stood there with this 'what' look on his face, so I knocked it off for him. Honest. The thought of him being gay never crossed my mind. I've had g/fs that would have kicked his ass for doin' it. It was all brand-new this community building of gay. Look how fast they built!

June 19, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Not banasy

Not banasy. ^ ^

June 19, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The Gay Emporer. a play, by Philip

This is all off the top of my head, mind you.
    Hmmm. I seem to be experiencing writers block. That, or just getting tired of people calling me homyophlobic. I love Elton John as we most all do. I just don't care for his chosen private lifestyle. But if it spreads AIDS on MY bubble, it's like pinching my ass with a 44 mag.

June 19, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. The Gay Emporer. a play, by Philip

Suspect info: The CIA doesn't track AIDS worldwide, Philip-uh. (spittle sparklets gliten, a'course I duck down)
    Myth Busters: Your nationwide presidential race polls 3% (lmao) margin of error.
    The CIA doesn't need to be in every country. However, they are in 130 or so countries, most for many many years. And they publish a factbook for YOU if yer interested.

June 19, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Gay Emporer. a play, by Philip

130 of 194 Nations on earth today, last I heard. 🙂
    Want to know why I felt it necessarry to point that out?
    An old friend of mine for over 25 years, his mom had him on Ritilin, so he had ADD purty bad. I asked him one day as we were listening to world news just how many nations there are. He guessed 3,000. And then said, oh! Not counting Indian Nations. He knocks down (makes, earns) about 100K per year. 🙂

June 19, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Adolph Douglas

He was one of thise I mentioned earlier...the ones I ditched so they weren't exposed to me. I have them thinking it's for my own well being. Pretty sneaky, eh? Like I used to get both my ex and my daughter mad at me on purpose when they called b/c they were mad at each other. Fastest way known to man to end a dispute betwixt two females.

June 19, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Edohiguma

So he's dead. And? That won't change the fact that Egypt is now on the way into more fascism and more sharia than ever before. You think Mubarak was bad? The Muslim Brotherhood will make it even worse. Egypt is now completely lost. The Arab Spring is bringing only one thing: tyranny. Religious tyranny. Or should I better say: fascism based on a political idea which is masquerading as religion. Islam is fascism.

June 20, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. M Abdelaziz

Mr. Mubarak was sentenced to life in preson for failure to protect the demonistrators , not becase he ordered their killing as reported by CNN before. He is an 84 years old and suffers from heart condition, cancer and Alzehimer. It is unhumane to impreson him in the first place, first because of the lack of evidnece aginst him as reported by the court, and second because of his age and physical condition. Egypt now is facing uncertain future under the Moslem Brotherhood rule. This would also reflect on the US as well.

June 20, 2012 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. midogs2

This is a slowly evolving story....................................

June 20, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |