June 21st, 2012

George Zimmerman: Trayvon Martin attacked me

New documents, audio and video have been released in the case against George Zimmerman who is charged with the second-degree murder of Trayvon Martin. Below are updates on statements Zimmerman made to police, made public as part of discovery, which have been released by his defense team.

[Updated at 8:14 a.m. ET] Zimmerman told police that at some point during the exchange with Martin he began hitting his head into the sidewalk.

"When he started doing that, I slid into the grass to try to get out from under him ... I'm still yelling for help," Zimmerman told investigators.

Martin, he said, put his hand over Zimmerman's mouth and nose and told him, "You're going to die tonight."

"When I slid, my jacket and my shirt came up, and when he said, 'You're going to die tonight,' I felt his hand go down my side, and I thought he was going for my firearm, so I grabbed it immediately, and as he banged my head again, I just pulled out my firearm and shot him."

When he did, he said Martin, who had been on top of him, fell away and said, "All right. You got it. You got it."

Zimmerman claimed in the interview he was driving to the grocery store February 26 when he saw Martin walking in his neighborhood. He said he pulled over and called a police non-emergency number "to report a suspicious person."

He noted there had been some burglaries in the area, prompting him to start a neighborhood watch program. He said he had never seen Martin before, and thought it was odd that although it was raining, "he was just walking casually, not like he was trying to get out of the rain."

As he spoke to the dispatcher, he said Martin circled his vehicle, but he "lost visual of him" and got out of the vehicle to find him. The dispatcher, he said, told him "we don't need you to do that," and he was heading back to the vehicle when Martin jumped out, asking him, "What the f-'s your problem?"

He said he told Martin, "I don't have a problem," but the youth replied, "Now you have a problem," and attacked him. He said he fell backward after being punched in the nose, and "he was wailing on my head."

Zimmerman told police he yelled for help repeatedly, and heard one man say he was going to call 911.

"I screamed 'Help me' probably 50 times, as loud as I could," he said.

Read Zimmerman's written statement to police (PDF)

[Posted at 7:50 a.m. ET] In an initial interview with police following the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman described a life-and-death struggle that began when the youth "jumped out from the bushes."

Zimmerman said Martin punched him repeatedly in the face. "I started screaming for help. I couldn't see. I couldn't breathe."

He said Martin "grabbed my head and started hitting it in the sidewalk."

The audio of the Zimmerman's first interview with police investigators was made public late Wednesday as part of the discovery items released by his defense team.

Zimmerman, 28, is charged with second-degree murder in Martin's February 26 shooting death. Zimmerman has claimed he shot Martin in self-defense, but Martin's family and civil rights activists from across the country claim that Zimmerman, who is white and Hispanic, racially profiled Martin and ignored a 911 dispatcher's advice not to follow him.

Read some of the previous documents in the Zimmerman case

FULL STORY
  1. Holly

Why do some comments fail to be posted? Does anyone out there understand that one. No bad words just my thoughts.

June 21, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. gg

i think martin was figthing for his life ,he knew zimm was going to kill him

June 21, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Whaaat???!!!

Ok....I was'nt done.

The fact that he fled tells me that he realized hus attacker was young......(Is Zimmerman a father?)....how alarming to know you had ended the life of someone's son.....even if he did get attacked by him.

This case is ludacris. It's this simple.......

If you are a "thug" and jump out if the bushes to attack an armed man to rob him or just hurt him....you should expect to hear ONE thing "BOOM!"....& if you are lucky you hear sirens and get a chance to turn your life around.

The judicial system is sending the wrong message by displaying that you can be and act like an idiot punk and attack and hurt, rob mame people and if an authoritive figure tries to stop you "he" is going to pay the price???????????? My son is an officer....if this is the way the courts would protect him.....I want him to do something else for a living.

June 21, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Whaaat???!!!

I like pizza too....but gives me bad gas....ppphhhhttthh...'scuse me....burp...ahhh pepsi.......as I was saying...pizza gives me gas...just like this case! ZIMMERMAN "STOOD HIS GROUND"!!!

June 21, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Another point to ponder on this. If Trayvon were on top of him when he shot him, why wasn't there any of Trayvons blood on him ? I mean, at such a close range, wouldn't there be some blood spatter ? And another point I just thought of, At such a close range wouldn't there be evidence of gunpowder on Trayvons clothes ?

June 21, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Fred

I sincerely wish people would stop with all the drama and aquit or convict AFTER the real evidence has been submitted to trial.

June 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Prosperid

WATCH ZIMMERMAN'S RE-ENACT VIDEO WITH INVESTIGATORS. HE CLAIMED HE MET TRAYVON FACE TO FACE ON THE SIDEWALK. NO BUSHES WERE NEAR THE SIDEWALK. IT CONTRADICTS HIS "JUMPING OUT THE BUSHES AND ATTACK ME STORY"

June 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Prosperid

Prosperid

SEARCH RAW VIDEO OF ZIMMERMAN WITH INVESTIGATORS AT CRIME SCENE.

June 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Prosperid

SO ZIMMERMAN SUPPORTERS...I DARE YOU TO GO FOLLOW SOMEBODY AT NIGHT WHO'S NOT COMMITTING A CRIME (NOT TO SAY YOU SHOULD EVEN IF THEY ARE) AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

June 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tiffany in Seattle

Some of these comments on here are beyond ridiculous

Its obvious that an unarmed person being followed would feel a sense of threat so how possibly could the pursuer claim they were the one threatened. Only after the one being followed (which anyone would know is super creepy) took action against the follower would they THEN become threatened (because they then realize the other person wasn't about to let themselves become victimized)..which of course is only by consequence of the pursuers own actions. There is no way in hell that Zimmerman could claim being the threatened one when then person he followed never engaged him or used physical harm until AFTER the confrontation of being followed by him. Zimmerman supporters need to explain how in the world they come to the conclusion that Zimmerman was in the right...? Someone, please..do tell...

June 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peace

thank you for sharing logic in this matter

June 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hope

Since when can you stand your ground on someone else's property?

Zimmerman is a liar. He had a gun and every intention of using it if and when the opportunity presented itself... little man with a BIG GUN...deadly combination.

Justice for Trayvon!

June 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I hope and pray he is put on the stand in this trial so he scream HELP again. Justice For Trayvon Martin. Peace Be Still love that gospel tune.

June 21, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotWhiteGuy

Bernard Goetz shoots stoner, HS dropout thug.
      If Zimmerman was black this would just be another black on black crime the black community cares nothing about. The day after this, blacks kill 12 blacks at a funeral including a 3 yr old; Jesse et al say nothing.

June 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hope

Since when can you stand your ground on someone else's property?

Justice for Trayvon!
    Hope

June 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. anne0000

So how could T have "jumped out from the bushes" when there are no bushes at the intersection of the two lanes which is where Z said the fight started? Regarding Z's story in the video, why would T reach for Z's gun but not follow through but instead put both his hands on Z's head to slam it down on2 the grass (at this point)? Why not try to divert the gun away from his own chest? Also how did T get his wounded body far enough away from where they were allegedly struggling on the grass – after he was shot in the lung & heart w/ both lungs having collapsed? & why would Z not use the address of the house of which he parked in front of, instead of walking down the 1st lane to the other side of the block to get an address? What was the point of that long walk when he later says that he told the 911 op that he would meet the cops back at the club house?

June 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tom

Innocent.

Arrest Angela Corey for malicious prosecution and disbar the bumbling political hack for failing to have a good-faith basis to belive an offense occurred. Mike Nifong, Duke lacrosse, what are you up to now, brother? Would you like fries with that burger? This is an abomination of justice! Drop all charges now, and if I could find Trayvon's grave I'd drop a steaming load on it just before a rainstorm, to ensure it soaked in...

June 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

You really hate black people don't you?

June 26, 2012 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. HIDE BEHIND

No circus is complete without a few clowns, and that includes the medias circus's.

June 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |