Open Thread: What is your private island dream?
Lana'I, the sixth-largest island in Hawaii, is home to luxury resorts such as the Four Seasons.
June 21st, 2012

Open Thread: What is your private island dream?

If you're like billionaires Richard Branson or Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, buying an island and claiming it to be your personal paradise is just another way to invest in happiness.

Ellison has bought about 98% of Lana'I, the sixth-largest island in Hawaii. That's 140 square miles of personal getaway, confirmed by Hawaii's governor, but no one's talking about how much it went for just yet. And it just happens to be more than 1,000 times larger than Branson's Necker Island in the British Virgin Islands.

Oracle CEO buys Hawaiian island

The package deal includes two luxury resorts, two golf courses, two clubhouses and 88,000 acres of land, according to a document filed with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission. It's also full of gorgeous scenery and pineapples as well. Some residents have said they hope that Ellison, who has a deep love of nature, will give the island an economic lift.

If you could buy any island, which one would it be? What would you do with it, and how would you use it?

And what if you don't have to be a billionaire to buy, or even rent, one?

While most private islands certainly aren't cheap, Little Monkey Caye in the Caribbean is listed for $55,000 on the Caribbean Island Brokers's website. And there is no shortage of real estate sites with private islands for sale or rent.

Others have bought their own island escapes before as well, and you can rent them for a hefty nightly fee.

I'm a celebrity, rent my island!

Billionaire magician and illusionist David Copperfield has a little piece of perfection in the Bahamas.

Marlon Brando bought an atoll, Tetiaroa, in French Polynesia that he discovered while checking out locations for the 1962 film "Mutiny on the Bounty."

And Keith Richards and Bruce Willis are just a couple of the celebrities who have homes on the private island of Parrot Cay in the Turks and Caicos in the Caribbean.

More on islands:

Heavenly Hawaii: Dos and don'ts

10 things to do on Oahu for $10 or less

Tahiti and French Polynesia on a budget

10 under-the-radar-islands

How to pick the right Greek island for you

10 islands to see before your die

Share your private island dream with us in the comments below.

Post by:
Filed under: Hawaii • Travel
  1. My Turn!

Martinica, Dominique or Tahiti (Bora Bora)

June 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. My Turn!

Well SAID!!!! Bunch of crey babies!!!!

June 21, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. a disgrace but you voted for him

before the disgrace obama bankrupted the US the country could have bought this property in hawaii for parkland.at least its out of the chinese hands for now...

June 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrisy Hunter

Discrace, you conveniently ignore that it was Boy george, who really bankrupted the country (morally as well as as financially) by not counting the wars in his "budget". How on earth do you fight 2 wars fro free? If Bush had passed math class, and learned how to count, his real totals did far, for more damage than Obama. By failing to mention this, you must be the just as arithmetically challenged

June 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. muhammad

why not spend all that money on starving children in africa and india etc.

June 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dazzle ©

What happened to my post? Mykonos it would be. Remember posters this is dream time.

June 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. My Turn!

The super rich donates all the time... Google it... I dont understand the ppl here... If you work hard for your stuff why hate sooo mucho??? Do your self a favor and complain less and work more 😉

June 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. My Island

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kNHiGIKGQ

June 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HIDE BEHIND

I have yet to figure out how anyone other than my own problems in life made my economic situation any better or worse.
    I come old school, crap in one hand wish in the other, and see which gets full first, and life promices nothing and with "free" comes an obligation.
    Class envy is for the wishers/takers and hand outstretched in another mans pockets "woe is me's.'
    The greatest class envy grouping in US are the so called middle class, the victim class, who pretend charity to the poor but
    rob the programs. before it reaches the p. poor

June 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Patrick A. Parish

If I could buy ANY island? I think Costa Rica! It's the most peaceful, and from what I understand it's peeps are just way cool and great to hang around! Plus they have the internet... I know someone that lives there so it's verified lol!

June 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Patrick A. Parish

Any Island? Costa Rica please! It's the most peaceful, and it's people are way cool!

June 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fernace

If I had this much $$$, buying an island would be the least of my concerns! 1st I'd make sure my family was taken care of, then I'd become a meddlesome old busybody, putting my nose in where I thought it belonged! I'd travel the planet, like a wealthy Mother Theresa, putting my $$$ where my mouth (& nose) is, bringing education to the poor & women & any1 who is disenfranchised! My goal would be to help those who can't help themselves have a better life through education, food ,clean water & clothing! 1st on my agenda would be the homeless of America! If I won the lottery this is what I'd do & y'all read it here 1st, so you can hold me to it! This whole planet is an island in dire need of repair!!

June 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike Gioia

This is something very interesting, something I actually think about a lot, "What Would I Do If I Were A Millionaire?" How would I live? How would I spend my money?

Well, I don't know if I would buy a private island, although I am a man who likes my my privacy, but maybe not a lot to want to move to the middle of the ocean for it. Private islands are cool, but a wee bit of a hassle. You have to always go to the closest mainland to get groceries or really, just about anything. Even toilet paper!

If I got a private island though I would stock it with rare and exotic animals. Tigers, lions, and critters of that nature. I would also buy giant stone statues, like Easter Island Heads, and simply scatter them all about the island to grant it an air of luxury and grandeur.

If any of you have fun sketching out millionaire fantasies (what you would if you were a millionaire) then you might be interested in a site, or rather a game, that actually lets you do this. It's a Fantasy Millionaire Game and it is called Butlr.

-Mike Gioia

June 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gratis hjemmeside

It's in point of fact a nice and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

June 28, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Portal de la psicologia en españa, ayuda psicologica, trastornos, psicologia niños, psicologia adultos, psicologia madrid

Hello there, I discovered your site via Google whilst searching for a similar subject, your web site got here up, it appears to be like good. I've bookmarked to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

June 28, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. KATT IDE :) CLICK :)

Hello very cool site!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?I'm happy to search out so many helpful information here within the post, we want develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

June 28, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |