James leads Heat to NBA title
LeBron James hugs Dywane Wade Thursday night as the finals seconds tick off the clock.
June 22nd, 2012

James leads Heat to NBA title

The Miami Heat defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder 121-106 Thursday night in Miami to win the NBA championship in five games.

League MVP LeBron James scored 26 points, and had 11 rebounds and 13 assists for Miami. Chris Bosh scored 24 points and Dwyane Wade 20 for the Heat.

Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant led all scorers with 32 points.

Photos: NBA Finals Game 5

It was James' first title since signing with the Heat as a free agent in 2010. James won two MVP awards over seven seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers but no NBA titles. James was drafted by Cleveland out of high school in nearby Akron, Ohio.

SI: LeBron earns validation, place in history with first championship

"This is a dream come true for me. This is definitely when it pays off," James said after the game. James was named the series MVP.

The Heat lost last year's finals to the Dallas Mavericks.

"We had to go through last year," Wade said after the game, according to NBA.com. "As much as it hurt, we had to experience it to get here, this season."

The Heat, who won four games straight to win the best-of-seven series, took a lead early in the game and never let up, leading by 25 points in the final minutes of the third quarter.

Thunder coach Scott Brooks said his young team will learn from the finals experience.

"I think when you play against the best, you learn. You don't get better by playing bad teams," Brooks said. "We've played against the best three teams in the last few years and we've learned."

Durant had a game-high 32 points but said losing in the finals is the hardest thing he and his team have been through.

SI: Finals failure will prove necessary for Durant, Thunder's development

"It's tough, that's the only way to explain it. As a whole I'm proud of the guys for how we've fought all season," Durant said. "I wouldn't want to play for anyone else or any other city."

1. angryersmell

He's still a dbag.

June 22, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. imjustsayin

Here's a question. Does anyone think that all the people out there who range from either having no respect for Lebron up to hating him will change there minds about hm because of the Heat winning the championship? I thnk not. If a self proclaimed "King" is going to stack the deck to get himself a championship, then in my opinion this victory rings pretty damn hollow...I'm just sayin'.

June 22, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Adam

Celtic fan here. I tip my cap. Ever since game 6 against the Celtics, James was all business. He turned off the nonsense and he became a champion. Congratulations!

June 22, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. SMS

I've got some suggestions on where to put that trophy, LeBron...

June 22, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Tha Chikin

How about you... so we can... up YOUR... !!!

June 22, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. almost there

Only 4 more to go to catch up to Kobe.

June 22, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Pdbjr

Couldnt happen to a meaner, worse guy!

June 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MH in SoCal

Hater. Plain and simple. Kobe Bryant is irrelavent. Must be a silly LA fan....

June 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philo99

Have we ever seen a scenerio like this in sports? Where the best and most popular player in the sport is actually destroying the support?

I know so many people, myself included, who will no longer watch the NBA because of LeBron James. I won't pay to see him play, I won't watch him on TV and I certainly won't allow my children to watch it.

The ramifications of LeBron are going to hurt the NBA for years.

June 22, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Bereal

That is BS. The fact that you read this story and comment on it means you will be back next year, eager to see him lose but you will be back.. Haters never stop hating.. It is a sad life!! Suck on that you sour puss, then come get some more next year.. The King has his crown!!

June 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • mxyru

LaWho?? Snore...... I agree – maybe now that it's over we can live without hearing about it 24/7. Please!

June 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Feliz

What?! Why? I truly have no idea what the problem with Lebron is. He's been nothing but respectful to all teams this year and just happens to be an outstanding player. Pls explain to me such an extreme reaction...to what??

June 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • PMD

Lebron's breaking up with Cleveland and moving to Miami made Lebron the worse player in the NBA? That's ridiculous. This is a free country. You can quit your job anytime and you can work anywhere. Right?

June 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prometheus

So you won't let your kids watch NBA Basketball because of LeBron James? I hope you realize sooner or later how stupid you just made yourself look. I mean seriously? It is a sport not it's not like watching an R-rated movie. I hope you don't seriously mean this or else I predict a strained relationship with your kids.

June 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nitrous

Yawn.

June 22, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Wayne

Definitely one of the BEST finals that I have ever seen! Congrats Heat. Don't feel too bad for OKC. Somehow I have a feeling that they'll be back stronger next season.

June 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Midwest

These comments are ridiculous. Some of you really need to just let they guy have his moment. He did what was necessary to WIN. In the end we celebrate the winners and only remember the losers. Move on.

June 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ahimsa Porter Sumchai, MD

Heat versus Thunder! LeBron James reminds me of a steam powered locomotive!

June 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom brody

Finally Lebron plays like "King" James under pressure. But did anyone else notice Lebron's celebration on the sideline when he was giggling like a school girl and hopping and crazilyflailing his arms around like a four-year old? Is there a video clip of that anywhere? I want to see it again. Hilarious!

June 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sam

i just hate James and no iam not from cleveland

June 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cameo35

..... I DON'T KNOW WHAT WAS MORE FIXED..................PACQUIAO FIGHT OR THE NBA FINALS ?............

June 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Luis Garrido

Their is no team in the NBA that has a chance against the Miami Heat Power House. Lebron one ring in the bag 6 more to go!

June 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • PEDO BEAR

Powerhouse?! Lay off the Bath Salts. If memory serves me right, according to the Self proclaimed "king" himself. This year was supposed to be ring #2, not 1. Tell me all about that Miami Powerhouse and the Dallas Mavericks that thumped them last year.

June 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jon

LeBron is the most arrogant, selfish, self-centered athlete with no proper personality. He is just like a big gorilla.

June 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cameo35

............ NOBODY LIKES A TEAM WHO WON A NBA CHAMPIONSHIP THAT WAS PRE-FABRACATED BY NBA...........................................MIAMI IS A ' GOAT ' CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM...................

June 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |