Viral vigilantism, Tony Hawk style
Tony Hawk posted images on Instagram of two thieves who stole a skateboard from his car.
June 23rd, 2012

Viral vigilantism, Tony Hawk style

If you’re going to steal a skateboard, don’t steal it from Tony Hawk.

The pro skater called out a couple of criminals yesterday by posting images from his home’s security camera on Instagram after it captured them stealing a skateboard from his car.

“To the a**holes that broke into my car & stole Calvin's skateboard: return it or your video goes ‘viral’ as in ‘to the police,’” Hawk wrote on the photo sharing app.

According to Hawk, the stolen board, which belonged to his girlfriend’s son, was a rare design from his company, Birdhouse.

“If they know anything about skateboards they’d know that they have something of value,” Hawk said, adding that he didn’t believe he was specifically targeted.

“I don’t think the guys that stole it knew it was my house. I can tell by the way they approached the house that they were actually looking for anyone that might have left something in their driveway in their car,” Hawk said.

Hawk opted to post the photo on Instagram rather than going to police to give the thieves a chance to return the skateboard and also to teach them a lesson.

“To be honest, I did put that up as kind of a joke and kind of a warning, as well. My hope is that it does resonate and these guys realize what they’ve done and return it in guilt.”

Hawk said that he probably won’t turn the pair in to police if they return the board, though many people who commented on the photo on Instagram urge him to.

Hawk said he chose social media as his first line of defense because it was an interesting way to handle the problem – and because his 13-year-old son came up with the idea.

“So much of our life is recorded on video now, including the worst parts,” Hawk said. “You just feel so vulnerable, but at the same time I’m glad – not that I condone it – it was a skateboard and it’s something that I can replace.”

The customer service blues: Going viral with complaints

Post by:
Filed under: Justice
  1. chrissy

Yes ive noticed. And what does anything in nigeria have to do with skateboards anyway???

June 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dazzle ©

@Blah Blah yes they did, I must have missed them. You got it right on the histrionic personality disorder too. Well done.

June 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

So they delete the posts with his email but leave the racist crap??? I wonder, can they spell lawsuit? Sheesh!

June 23, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suzette

STOP government sponsored terrorism against gay medical marijuana cancer patients... why is Obama terrorizing US..?

June 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Libertarians against Obama

Libertarians hate Obama because of his terrorism against Medical Marijuana Patients.

June 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

@ take a look in the mirror, how MEAN we are??? Dead giveaway there Mary, and you arent subjected to HIS insults as the rest of us are. My sympathy for him ran out along time ago! I do give you props for endurance, youve toughed it out more than i could.

June 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Take a look in the mirror folks

It's unfair to be in Untenable situation (5 against 1) for anyone.
    Your wrong doings have been ignored by your blogging buddies while his truth has been attacked continually.
    Lets call it a draw and speak about the issue with out showing un-christian- like qualities, by attacking someone back.
    Your senses are just as off as YOU SAY his are
    Nite

June 24, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

@ karen, you are on the wrong thread.

June 24, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. Superman

@@@ meh or is it MARY!!! No this is not tolerable at all that's one of the problems with this country to much tolerance for racism and i for one will not tolerate it for no reason and im still under the same user name as well and im not to stand for what? You are wrong for asking me to stand down on this issue i WILL NOT!!! Get it have you seen a black person hanging from a tree? Most likely not its the most disgusting thing to see and you have no right to slam my defense of these people its wrong all the way i have seen some of the most horrid things that a person can imagine and you have not so you must evaluate your position on this matter

June 24, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Mary, how can you defend that kind of talk? I KNOW youre not racist. And how would your son feel? I have 2 adopted black children and i will defend them til the day i die against racist bigots such as Philip.

June 24, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Superman

Try a six year old girl getting shot just an arms length away front you and you can't do a dam thing about it and by arms given by your gracious country or the raping of a mother and how about a massacre of an entire family and you can only observe from a distance and then apprehend latter or how about seeing a cartel wipe out 2 generations right before your eyes also supported by our wonderfully country that has taught tolerance for such things so you have seen what now i feel for you and your loss but i have the worst of memories and still when it comes to this bull crap on here it infuriated for to the core and i could go on with the things I've seen things i shouldn't discuss and I've sworn not to but you want personal experiences ok lets get back to racism and the foul mouth of one there is no room for one more of him and his mouth or should i say psych of his he has issues and your tolerating it ha? Will lets sling some mud

June 24, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Superman

@@@mary you are religious so how about these people I've seen die right before my eyes the are my brothers and sisters regardless and i will stand for the right to defend any race and will always love all people cause enemies in there lifestyle and we are all brothers and sisters in gods way but i see only one thing with phillip a cast out by me and that is still coming and your religious and rip on us? For defending a race come on you remind me of my mother two face snake eyes and no venom so if you want to practice religion go to a church that practices racist values but by no means try to preach hipocracy to me lady my mother beat you to it many years ago so go another way or just give up on this one you have already lost the battle

June 24, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  11. Superman

Why are you so afraid to just state your user name on here all the time instead of making one up all the time what are you hiding as well Mary

June 24, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Abe Lincoln

Obama and Bush – two terrorists that have destroyed America.

June 24, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Bush is a terrorist, obama is just a sell out. Now his SoS killery, she is a terrorist.

June 24, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Top Hat

Take it easy Abe,your out of your century..BTW should'nt you be out slaying vampire's?

June 24, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Hope

What a sweet story... so much different than Mr. Zipperman.

Good Luck,
    Hope

June 24, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. Superman

Could you honestly forgive jerry sanduskys for his abominations against these people whos lifestyle he has destroyed if so then your truly religious if not then its just another falicy of religion that is taught that makes no sense I've recently forgave an individual for his sins,,,by a possible conviction legal one and some Serious time to follow is that forgiveness or does it not exist really

June 24, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |