Viral vigilantism, Tony Hawk style
Tony Hawk posted images on Instagram of two thieves who stole a skateboard from his car.
June 23rd, 2012

Viral vigilantism, Tony Hawk style

If you’re going to steal a skateboard, don’t steal it from Tony Hawk.

The pro skater called out a couple of criminals yesterday by posting images from his home’s security camera on Instagram after it captured them stealing a skateboard from his car.

“To the a**holes that broke into my car & stole Calvin's skateboard: return it or your video goes ‘viral’ as in ‘to the police,’” Hawk wrote on the photo sharing app.

According to Hawk, the stolen board, which belonged to his girlfriend’s son, was a rare design from his company, Birdhouse.

“If they know anything about skateboards they’d know that they have something of value,” Hawk said, adding that he didn’t believe he was specifically targeted.

“I don’t think the guys that stole it knew it was my house. I can tell by the way they approached the house that they were actually looking for anyone that might have left something in their driveway in their car,” Hawk said.

Hawk opted to post the photo on Instagram rather than going to police to give the thieves a chance to return the skateboard and also to teach them a lesson.

“To be honest, I did put that up as kind of a joke and kind of a warning, as well. My hope is that it does resonate and these guys realize what they’ve done and return it in guilt.”

Hawk said that he probably won’t turn the pair in to police if they return the board, though many people who commented on the photo on Instagram urge him to.

Hawk said he chose social media as his first line of defense because it was an interesting way to handle the problem – and because his 13-year-old son came up with the idea.

“So much of our life is recorded on video now, including the worst parts,” Hawk said. “You just feel so vulnerable, but at the same time I’m glad – not that I condone it – it was a skateboard and it’s something that I can replace.”

The customer service blues: Going viral with complaints

Post by:
Filed under: Justice
  1. dazzle ©

People who say they are religious fear going to Hell. People who say they are spiritual have been through hell. Hell is not a piece of real estate.

June 24, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

@daz, agreed. This life has moments of heven and he ll through out. It is or job to savor the hevenly moments, and endure the the hel lish ones

June 24, 2012 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Superman

@@@dazzle,,, well put i wish i had that kind of knowledge to do that you are truly the best

June 24, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

@Superman, thank you! It's words that I choose to live my life by. I never claimed to be religious but I do have a deep faith in God.

June 24, 2012 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

@ rascal or mmmm, i think your having that conversation with the wrong ppl. You should be having it with philip!

June 24, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

hey chrissy...im not about to spend time finding out...those kinner childhood scars take a lifetime to overcome...a lotta heroic healing...they usually engaged in self detruct behavior or can become a copycat...nottah a good ideal to encourage them to add
      non-forgiveness to their plate ...because the victim will go through phase of revictimizing, self blaming, self-hatred and shame...let them heal they do not need to retain any souvenirs of sickness from sandusky...

June 24, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. dazzle ©

@Rascal Rabble, the victim in this thread is someone who had their skateboard stolen. Sandusky has a thread elsewhere.

June 24, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

K....wHATEVERrrrrr....Rrr...

June 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rascal Rabble

itsah amazing...that the house of republicans would use grief and vex grief of a grieving family of brian terry to suit its political agenda...you guys stank to the high heavens and you news agencies are guilty of fanning the fumes...

June 24, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

republican oversight committe is not fooling anybody...

June 24, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

@ rascal, i DO understand, but as a victim myself, i really do NOT care to hear it on every topic! There is a reason i avoid certain threads, and thats because i dont intend to rehash it every day of my life. As for the racist comments, thats stupidity!

June 24, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dufflerpud

Its amazing our police can get anything done when the public keeps hindering them in such stupid ways, I guess it's no surprise they end up infringing on our rights with questionable searches.

Why didn't this guy go to the police? Chances are extremely good that these guys had stolen from someone else. Forgive the cliche, but what kind of "message" does this send?

June 24, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

@ duff, what ways are we hindering the popo? No one is going to look for a skate board on tax payer dime. I like what the new head of the Denver police department is doing. Making all jobs that don't have to be done by a cop, civilian jobs. And marketing many re- apply for there jobs. the pigs are there to serve the people, not the other way around.

June 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Superman

@@@chrissy good thing that you have the patience for some of thus crap good point there but it goes beyond stupidity

June 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

I wasn't even on last night.
    I will expect an apology, because I am in need of one, and I know you're ever so humble.

June 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

@ superman, i know it does, i was tryin to be kind lol. I just dont think its fair to make the whole world suffer for what i went through, and i dont understand his logic on that.

June 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

The new minister stood at the church door greeting the members as they left the Sunday moring service. Most of the people were very generous telling the new minister how much they liked his message, except for one man who said, "The was a very dull and boring sermon, pastor."
    A few minutes later, the same man again appeared in line and said, "I don't think you did much preparation for your message."
    Once again, the man appeared, this time muttering, "You really blew it. You didn't have a thing to say, pastor."
    Finally, the minister could stand it no longer. He went to one of the deacons and inquired about the man.
    "Oh, don't let that guy bother you," said the deacon. "He's a little slow. All he does is go around repeating whatever he hears other people saying."

June 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

🙂 Cute! Reminds me of "10 second Tom" in the movie " 50 first dates" remember him?
      lmao

June 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

I could only DREAM of having an "uncle Ted" like that in my family! lol

June 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Wipe that steam off the mirror:
    I am still awaiting that apology.....

June 24, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Okie Dokie, Thelma Lou Brickmore 😉

June 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Rawr:
    Brightening up a Sunday afternoon, bless you!
    Keep them coming!