Viral vigilantism, Tony Hawk style
Tony Hawk posted images on Instagram of two thieves who stole a skateboard from his car.
June 23rd, 2012

Viral vigilantism, Tony Hawk style

If you’re going to steal a skateboard, don’t steal it from Tony Hawk.

The pro skater called out a couple of criminals yesterday by posting images from his home’s security camera on Instagram after it captured them stealing a skateboard from his car.

“To the a**holes that broke into my car & stole Calvin's skateboard: return it or your video goes ‘viral’ as in ‘to the police,’” Hawk wrote on the photo sharing app.

According to Hawk, the stolen board, which belonged to his girlfriend’s son, was a rare design from his company, Birdhouse.

“If they know anything about skateboards they’d know that they have something of value,” Hawk said, adding that he didn’t believe he was specifically targeted.

“I don’t think the guys that stole it knew it was my house. I can tell by the way they approached the house that they were actually looking for anyone that might have left something in their driveway in their car,” Hawk said.

Hawk opted to post the photo on Instagram rather than going to police to give the thieves a chance to return the skateboard and also to teach them a lesson.

“To be honest, I did put that up as kind of a joke and kind of a warning, as well. My hope is that it does resonate and these guys realize what they’ve done and return it in guilt.”

Hawk said that he probably won’t turn the pair in to police if they return the board, though many people who commented on the photo on Instagram urge him to.

Hawk said he chose social media as his first line of defense because it was an interesting way to handle the problem – and because his 13-year-old son came up with the idea.

“So much of our life is recorded on video now, including the worst parts,” Hawk said. “You just feel so vulnerable, but at the same time I’m glad – not that I condone it – it was a skateboard and it’s something that I can replace.”

The customer service blues: Going viral with complaints

Post by:
Filed under: Justice
  1. chrissy

Dont hold your breath banasy, people like that NEVER apologize! Ya know what ones i mean, the sanctamonious variety! And yet they wonder why we dont sympathize too much! Guess they ASSUME their on a speed rail to the pearly gates or something lmao!

June 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

Thelma lou? When did she post? And where? YOU OWE her an apology!!! Its ok to be wrong sometimes if you take ownership of your mistake. Thats what makes us human.

June 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I'd prefer that banasy respond to that chrissy.
      Gotta get to work now
      Enjoy.

June 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Piers Morgan, Supervillain

Nice. Good to have a Bible joke for Sunday, b.i.a.h.
    I like how that little girl thinks. Mmmmmm, gravy.

June 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

Relax everyone. Just enjoy Katmans funnies on a leisurely sunday

June 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Everyone knows I'm TLB; everyone also knows TLB has a troll, Mary? What is your point?
    Are YOU 'Wipe'?
    If so, you need to aplogize to me; as I wasn't even ON last night, but saw fit to bring me into whatever was going on....
    Are you not humble enough to apologize for pointing out what you receive as a fault when you were mistaken about my being on the blogs?

June 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Thelma Lou Brickmore wasn't on last night either, unless it was KR posting as her.
      That has nothing to do with you owe me an apology, as I WASn'T ON LAST NIGHT.
      Come here, cause bad feelings, and we're supposed to just let it all go....I'm done with your two-faced att itude and your own inability to admit a mistake and apologize.
      Humble, indeed.
      People who live in glass houses...pot, meet kettle...all of those means "hypocrite".
      Have a lovely day at work, Mary.

June 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

At this point your preferrences are of little consequence to me! I didnt hide behind another name to be snide to anyone! You were wrong and you should apologize, just as your little bf should also!!

June 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

And you mary, of all people know, i would say the same thing to banasy if it were the other way around! WHO defended you last week when someone was purposely trying to hurt you???

June 24, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Name

Go Tony!
    90% of comments are way off topic..

June 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Name:
    I highly doubt if this video is going to 'guilt' a criminal into giving the board back.
    What it tells the criminals is that there are no consequences to their actions.
    I get his point, but he would be better served by calling the police and turning over the tapes.

June 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mark

I would personally turn them in so they will not steal from others.
    One time someone did a hit an run on my car. I went to the police to file a police report per my insurance company's request. Police tried to discourage me to file the report. I told them to do it anyway to pasify my insurance company. I then did some sleuthing of my own and notice there was white paint residue where my car was damaged. I had my wife look for a white car with front-end damage and take a picture of it and its license plate.

I went back to the cops and show them damage on my car and the picture of the suspected car. The next morning, the cop came to my door with the woman who hit me. She was crying here eyes out. So we exchanged insurances and her insurance paid for the damage – thus no deductible or cash out of my pocket other than my time investigating the crime.

I bet she will think twice before leaving a running after hiting someone.

June 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • cleT

dont feel too bad- we were WALKING home from a local festival (yes, we had a bunch of beer-thats why we wer walking) and a car came up the curb and grazed us both up on the sidewalk. It knoced us down and broke his side mirror off. I called it in and the dispatcher told us we should not walk in the street...(we were on the sidewalk....)
      yeahhhhhh....

June 25, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Superman

Im sorry did i miss something? Me hold a grudge no I've calmed down and await the next fool that wants to get nasty towards others or different races like i said 0 tolerance and as far as im concerned im ready for another but on the other hand all is forgotten until it happens again but yes im cool now just don't tread on me i will unleash again if neccessary i don't bite till I've been bitten that's all im a very simple minded person but not stupid

June 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superman

@@@all who believes in world wide understanding officers all others its sweet to see that some of us have had the experiences of life good or bad that we can come back and live a happy life and look at the brighter side of things instead of dwelling on the negative that's what it will take to make a stronger nation and closer to our fellow man or woman its so easy to see the lesson that reallity can teach just a hand full of people to overcome and move on in a positive way and to those that have done so your are impowered with an unknown strenght to overcome and its those people that i surround myself with and all reading this you know who you are THANK YOU

June 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rod C. Venger

Well that's mighty progressive of Mr. Hawk. The punks get to go free if they return the skateboard.

And the window they broke? Not to worry. That $400 will be covered by insurance so the cost is spread out among the policyholders. Our rates continue to go up, never down, because people keep crashing and keep breaking into and stealing cars. Most are never punished nor required to recompense those of us that are footing the bill.

June 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • ryantorgeson

You miss the point. Insurance is already going to pay. Now, if he gets the board back then the damages are less. If his offer didn't include some immunity then why would the crooks even think about returning the board?

June 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kem

the car door was open

June 25, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. pork&beans

Good for him.
    No need to call the police every time something goes wrong.

June 24, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. A guy

I catch his drift, though $100 says the thieves never hear about Tony's Instagram pics. The vast majority of people don't care about celeb tweets, likes, or pics, or keep up with viral social media.

June 24, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |