Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland
Necrotizing fasciitis patient Aimee Copeland goes outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, for the first time, accompanied by her parents, Andy and Donna Copeland.
June 26th, 2012

Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland

Aimee Copeland, the young Georgia woman who has been battling a flesh-destroying bacterial infection, got to go outside Sunday for the first time in seven weeks, her family reported. The family released a photo showing Copeland and her parents on the hospital grounds.

"Aimee has a beauty in this photograph that I think goes beyond words," Andy Copeland, her father, told ABC's "Good Morning America." "It's a beauty of survival, of resilience."

Copeland has lost her hands, one leg and both feet to necrotizing fasciitis, which followed her fall into a creek in a zip-line accident May 1. Nevertheless, Andy Copeland says she feels optimistic and "blessed to be different."

Her father wrote on his blog that being outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, was "the best therapy she has had in weeks."

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Health
  1. banasy©

What an amazing recovery!
    Best wishes to this young lady!

June 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Meki60

this is so sad, its hard to view

June 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Meki60

hard for me to complain about a back ache after seeing this, what a brave lady.

June 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. WD

I mean this sincerely, she looks a lot better than I would have expected.

June 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Linda

I just cannot imagine someone saying "blessed to be different?" If she could go back and relieve the day I think instead of making the move to do the zip line and thus be different, she would most certainly choose not to. I think the father has sounded screwy on several things he has said.

June 26, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sanibelle

It is easy to comment but no one can truly understand what Aimee and her family has been through. Without their strong wills accompanied by a huge dose of optimism, this family is still together and making real progress in conquering a life changing situation. They are only to be commended.

June 26, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • edmcrn

wow...just wow. Of everything in the article, you had to take what the dad said and twist it like that? I feel sorry for you as you sound like a very negative human being.

June 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wilma

Really? Really are you serious. Are you that inhumane? This girl has probaly indured more than you or I either one will ever see in a lifetime. Her dad has every right to be a little "screwy"..........you need to get a life!!!! SERIOUSLY!!

June 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

What do you want her to say? To be negative? She could but she is obviously not going down that path. I admire her immensely for her courage, guts and determination. Sounds like she is getting on with her life in a positive way!! Good for her. You go Aimee, you continue with your positive spirit. You have a wonderful life in front of you!! from a fellow Georgia girl

June 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cutedog2

Linda, some people live their lives more cynically than others. That you can't understand is okay. That you pass judgement on a family that can weather the storm speaks more about you than the father you bring to question. Hopefully you will never have to make a harder decision in life than what to cook for dinner or what car to purchase. That is always a safe place to be

June 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beadlesaz

The insensitivity of people can be truly horrifying.

June 27, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. John Richardson

A testiment to the human spirit....the will to live! My family and I will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers! God bless you all!

June 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. czar33

Aimee,

God Bless !

June 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HIDE BEHIND

Bitter Sweet is an old term not heard much these days, but in this case seems appropriate.
    The beauty of creation is in its singular wonders that go far beyond what mere mortals say cannot be so, and yet I see one such example smiling at and with the world, may such examples ever be so.

June 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Proud YaYa

Someone posted how sad, from blogs and the smile on her face pity is want needed or wanted. Her strength and faith should be an encouragement to all of us. I am so deeply touch at how this young woman turned tragedy into triumph. Good luck and prayers to her and her family as she continues to heal.

June 26, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. t16rich

Those are the most real smiles I have seen all day.

June 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Leslie

Just keep on smiling!

June 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Army Mom

Aimee and Family,
    I am so happy that God has seen you all through this. I am encouraged by the strength that your entire family has shown during these difficult days and weeks. I pray for continued healing and strength for you all. Aimee, I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors. May you always keep that beautiful smile on your face.

June 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. l1234

I hope only the best for this family. The article says she lost one leg and both feet. Can you loose a leg and keep the foot?

June 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Esteban Blanco

She is simply remarkable woman and a remarkable family. Amazing strength. #BestWishes

June 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HawaH

God bless you Aimee and all the best of luck. My prayers are with you and your family.

June 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |