Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland
Necrotizing fasciitis patient Aimee Copeland goes outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, for the first time, accompanied by her parents, Andy and Donna Copeland.
June 26th, 2012

Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland

Aimee Copeland, the young Georgia woman who has been battling a flesh-destroying bacterial infection, got to go outside Sunday for the first time in seven weeks, her family reported. The family released a photo showing Copeland and her parents on the hospital grounds.

"Aimee has a beauty in this photograph that I think goes beyond words," Andy Copeland, her father, told ABC's "Good Morning America." "It's a beauty of survival, of resilience."

Copeland has lost her hands, one leg and both feet to necrotizing fasciitis, which followed her fall into a creek in a zip-line accident May 1. Nevertheless, Andy Copeland says she feels optimistic and "blessed to be different."

Her father wrote on his blog that being outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, was "the best therapy she has had in weeks."

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Health
  1. Shawn King

The life in your eyes is amazing! You are alive, beautiful and an inspiration to us all! God bless you!

June 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cutedog2

Best wishes Aimee. I love the joy of life your face expresses in this photo.

June 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shannon

I have prayed alot for you Aimee, and also for your family. The picture of you and your parents is very nice. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

June 26, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Judith

Your courage throughout this ordeal at such a young age is such an inspiration to me. And I am old enough to be your mother. God Bless you Aimee. Keep "keeping on, and continue that beautiful smile." Have never met you, but I honestly love you. My best to you and your lovely family.

June 26, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beadlesaz

Judith – beautifully stated.

June 27, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kathy

Aimee, you've got an awesome smile....it's so great to finally see you out and about (even though it's just outside the hospital)....keeping up with your progress and praying for you and your family.....Wishing you the best in all that you do...

June 26, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Benjamin

Praying for you Aimee and your family. God"s blessings.

June 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "The Lunatic Fringe"

I can't see the photos that CNN posted for you Aimee. But that doesn't matter. Considering what you've been through, you are a remarkable inspiration to many. Doctors can do only so much. But you certainly recieved G_ds' grace.
    G_d Bless you Aimee. 🙂

June 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bill

Amy, I don't know your religious preferences so i won't push my god on you but, wow you are strong and an inspiration to so many. Best wishes 😀

June 27, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. Scott

Please correct the article. If she lost 1 leg there is no reason to say she also lost both feet. Oy vey cnn

June 27, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • agathokles

I understand what you're saying, but - geez! - that's all you've got to say about this story?? Frankly, if the author wrote "one leg and one foot" you'd then have wondered if they were on the same side. At least this way, it's unambiguous.

June 27, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kim

Aimee we love u. Ive been thinking of you ever since I heard your story.U are an inspiration and the model of strength. Xoxoco

June 27, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dori

Aimee, you are such an inspiration. I have prayed for you night and day since I heard about your struggles. Your picture is SO beautiful. You have such courage and strength and joy. I know that there is a powerful purpose for you in your life. God bless you!

June 27, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jovani

Such a beautiful young lady with a beautiful spirit and life in her! Best wishes!

June 27, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. porto

She's apparently braver than I can ever aspire to be.

June 27, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. Delores Sperstad

So nice to read and see something so special. Glad you are better. I don't like to watch the other news. Just to depressing.

June 27, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jehsea

What a powerful soul. "Blessed to be different," this young woman of extraordinary character said. Hold on tight, Aimée, for you *are* right. I, too, am disabled.

No, I don't mess with all the ridiculous words people use to paint over it, like "handicapable" or "challenged," and I've even come to dislike "survivor" because so many using it to describe themselves are such VICTIMS it's pathetic!

I say "hold on tight" to your belief because when you find out how shabbily you will be treated by people in the various agencies designed to help and render you aide, your SOUL will break.

I hope a different experience for you, Aimée, though, not only because your case is nationally known so those helping you will also hope a little TV or press will shine the light or photo or film on THEM as well, but also because you have family to stick up for you.

I know you will do fine, I am just giving you a head's up, because I was so STUNNED WHEN THE FIRST PERSON IN A POSITION OF HELP / TRUST SET ME UP TO LOSE ALL MY BENEFITS, LIED ABOUT IT, LIED ABOUT ME, AND IT COST ME $3,500 TO FIX THE DAMAGE MY "FRIENDLY, CONCERNED" CASEWORKER DID TO ME!

God Bless you!