Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland
Necrotizing fasciitis patient Aimee Copeland goes outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, for the first time, accompanied by her parents, Andy and Donna Copeland.
June 26th, 2012

Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland

Aimee Copeland, the young Georgia woman who has been battling a flesh-destroying bacterial infection, got to go outside Sunday for the first time in seven weeks, her family reported. The family released a photo showing Copeland and her parents on the hospital grounds.

"Aimee has a beauty in this photograph that I think goes beyond words," Andy Copeland, her father, told ABC's "Good Morning America." "It's a beauty of survival, of resilience."

Copeland has lost her hands, one leg and both feet to necrotizing fasciitis, which followed her fall into a creek in a zip-line accident May 1. Nevertheless, Andy Copeland says she feels optimistic and "blessed to be different."

Her father wrote on his blog that being outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, was "the best therapy she has had in weeks."

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Health
  1. cynna513

To the Copeland family: Ignore the negative people who post. They are filled wil anger and don't stop to think about the long road of healing and obstacles you have to overcome. Yes, there are others in the world who are battling this same type of bacteria, and yes, they have a long road ahead of them too. CNN cannot write about all of them. There are probably many who are private people and want to be left alone. I wish you nothing but the best.

June 27, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ck

@PrazeGd "young democrat atheists" ... Wow... Better watch out for those " old republican christians"... Is this what you are trying to say? That statement startles me and says a alot about this upcoming election.

Maybe if people thought about this in a way like " how could god let this happen?" or " why would he or she let this happen?", maybe the prayer naysayers would be better understood.. But each to their own. Prayers help those who believe and that in itself is excellent. You can pray to just anything, I think...right?

Godspeed Aimee...and Godspeed technology.

June 27, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Alison

Aimee I admire your stength and grace. Continued prayers for your recovery.

June 27, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. David Morrison

She's beautiful!!!

June 27, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pete

God bless Aimee,I hope she feels better emotionally as well as medically,she feels like one of my neighbors,being from S.Carolina and swimming for years in many of the same lakes,streams and water falls she herself visited for fun.Now I'm keeping a watchful eye with my kids and relatives well being not from unseen fish or rocks,but from unseen microorganisms that have been there inheriently for a long time,if not from the recent population influx in towns and cities all across these two states.Take care Aimee and Gods speed in recouperating,we are all rooting for your healthy return home,take care to you and yours!!!

June 27, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Name*bill crisp

Elated to see you up and out!!!!!!!keep up the hard work. god be with you. the crisp family

June 27, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dean

Glad to hear she's actually recovering and seems to be doing well. For some reason I thought she lost her battle. Keep on keeping on.

June 27, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. SciChick

Hi Aimee! Best of luck in your recovery! I'm so glad your parents shared this beautiful picture of you. Your resilience gives hope to people everywhere. You are an inspiration.

June 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Little Man

Ya Aimee, go girl. Great to see you home.

June 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alba

I just want to say that you & your family have been in my heart and prayers! You are blessed to have such wonderful loving family and I know that what happened to you has a purpose in your life -in your future. Best wishes !

June 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bj

God bless you, Aimee! We will continue to pray for your recovery. You are a brave, strong person!
    Love you!

June 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tiffany

She's adorable! She's always been and always will be a beautiful girl! I think she looks good! I am so so happy Aimee has survived and life will be hard for a bit, but she seems like a strong woman...she'll be just fine:)

June 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TexMarine2254

Keep fighting the good fight Aimee ... God bless and best of luck in the future!

June 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CJ

I do not normal comment on the WEB but I feel the need to to tell this young lady shown me that all things can be overcome if you are a fighter. Your parents must be very proud of you !! Thank you Aimee and hope all goes very positive for the rest of your long, long life. Tell the Dr's i am glad that they were able to help you.

June 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ken09

God bless you Aimee,will always remember you and your family in prayers

June 27, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |