Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland
Necrotizing fasciitis patient Aimee Copeland goes outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, for the first time, accompanied by her parents, Andy and Donna Copeland.
June 26th, 2012

Family releases photo of a recovering Aimee Copeland

Aimee Copeland, the young Georgia woman who has been battling a flesh-destroying bacterial infection, got to go outside Sunday for the first time in seven weeks, her family reported. The family released a photo showing Copeland and her parents on the hospital grounds.

"Aimee has a beauty in this photograph that I think goes beyond words," Andy Copeland, her father, told ABC's "Good Morning America." "It's a beauty of survival, of resilience."

Copeland has lost her hands, one leg and both feet to necrotizing fasciitis, which followed her fall into a creek in a zip-line accident May 1. Nevertheless, Andy Copeland says she feels optimistic and "blessed to be different."

Her father wrote on his blog that being outside Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, was "the best therapy she has had in weeks."

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • Health
  1. Kim

This is not a criticism of that lovely girl. This is a criticism of the FDA and the "standard of care" that is the only treatment offered (i.e. flooding the body with antibiotics). Bacteriophage therapy might have saved her limbs. Bacteriophage therapy involves viruses that infect and kill bacteria. They do not harm or infect any other part of the body. They are bacteria-specific viruses. They have been around and used around the world for nearly a 100 years. It is not a new treatment. Read up on it. I found out about it by someone else's post about this very story and I looked into it. It is truly amazing and exciting!

June 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

It's great to be a creative thinker, but it's also apparent that you're not an MD. In these cases, the infection spreads way too quickly and aggressively for what you suggest to be of any use. And that's just the most immediate and obvious problem with your suggestion.

June 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ellen E

God Bless this courageous young woman and her loving, supportive family.

June 28, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bruce

"Copeland has lost her hands, one leg and both feet to necrotizing fasciitis," Really? Both feet? Nice writing. Get Well Aimee!

June 28, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • brandon

I understand your issues with the comment, but i believe she lost the foot and then they were later forced to remove the entire leg.

July 3, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. K

I think the point everyone is missing is that sane people don't say, "I'm so glad this happened to me. I'm so glad to be different. Now I can make a difference to other people." This child has issues. If she didn't before, the trauma of the accident certainly caused this. Instead of worshiping her as a saint, the idiot parents need to get this child counseling. It might be easy now to ignore the crazy and assume this is how she's going to deal with a tragedy, but it'll come back to bite them later and with dire consequences.

June 28, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Rover

I completely disagree, K. I think Aimee is a wise soul. I personally have dealt with a lot of horrible things in my life (child abuse, I too am an amputee, other problems) and in some ways I actually am "happy" because of it. The last thing I would ever want is the mediocre, ignorant, completely unaware "blah" happiness that the average American endeavors but never gets. Dealing with a lot of pain and hardship in life can open your mind and experience up to unbelievable happiness. Money and success will never take you anywhere close to there. This is why Nietzsche himself wished untold illness, suffering, and pain on his family and those he loved.

June 28, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe S.

Get well Aimee!!! I'm so happy you pulled through. You'll still have a more complete life than people who spend all day in front of a PS3 or XBox. You still have your sight, your hearing, and your taste buds. Most importantly, your brain.

June 28, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Brenda

She looks great! What a beautiful girl! So glad she was strong enough to fight and continue to fight it! Nothing is going to stop this girl. Nothing.

June 28, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lori Gardner

Aiimee,

You are a beautiful woman inside and out.
    God choose you for a special plan and you have embraced it with such grace and courage. You are truely an angel from heaven that wants to do good for othesr through your trials. God bless and love you. You are nothing less then amazing and a profound inspiration of how we all should live our lives. I am so prould of you and I don't evren know you.. I can only imagine how prould your family is of you..god bless you all

Lori

June 28, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mensa member

"God chose you for a special plan"? Are you insane? Your God is truly scary! And her father is obviously disturbed with all his happy talk blogging. This is a sad, horrific tragedy and to celebrate it as a "blessing" indicates insanity; and cruelty.

June 30, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Good grief

Well, since you are a "mensa member" you must be right. Congratulations. Now, please let the rest of us simple minded folks acknowledge people's differences along with their ability to triumph over adversity. Surely with your superior IQ you realize this is a short news article and not an in-depth analysis of how this family is coping with such a tragedy.

July 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOH1066

Aimee,
    May you and your family find the strength and bravery and love to continue on your path to recovery. Not only of body but of mind and spirit, as well. Perhaps it will help you and those who are closest to you to know that you are an inspiration to many, MANY people. You are stronger than I can fathom and I wish you every possible measure of joy for your future.

As for those who have to turn stories such as this into theological debates, stop being so selfish. Proselytizing on these forums will not convert anyone. Neither will condmenation of religion cause believers who post to renounce their faiths. Whether one says 'god bless' or 'best wishes', sends prayers or positive energy, isn't the point that we wish her well? I don't know if there is a god(s) or not. If there is/are, I can't imagine he/she/they being pleased that people engage in arguments using an amazing young woman, overcoming hurdles most of us can't even begin to understand, as, for lack of a better term, battleground.

June 29, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. little mister

Aimee is very cute. Maybe she will like me.

June 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Well wisher

Wishing her a speedy recovery and God's grace in this difficult period of her life.

June 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael

I wish her the best, she will have a long road to bear till she is full recovered if ever. i know this because in 2008 i too had the flesh eating bacteria. i was lucky to have a doc that understood what i had early enough to save my life but even than it was a close call. i consider myself a lucky man to only have to walk with a cane after all i have been thru. the only major problem i still hvae to deal with is the daily pain from the scar area on my leg. finally got off the morphine i was on for over 2 years but still on other pain meds just so i can function and go to work. i still have bad days where i can hardly get out of bed. but its getting bettter. my prayers go out to the young lady and her family

July 2, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gabriel

Amee, I believe you are bless. Be strong and smile.

July 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. nanny h

may God bless you and your family I'll keep you in my prayers

July 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. M. Schmidt

If this happened to me I would not be using the word "blessed"; probably "lucky to be alive" would be more like it

July 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MotoJB

"Copeland has lost her hands, one leg and both feet..." Really? You mean she lost a leg but you had to point out that her foot went along with it?

July 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |