Internet voters could send rapper Pitbull to remote Alaskan city
Pitbull attends the "Men In Black 3" New York premiere at Ziegfeld Theatre on May 23, 2012, in New York City.
July 3rd, 2012

Internet voters could send rapper Pitbull to remote Alaskan city

Thousands of Internet jokesters are on the cusp of sending Miami recording artist Pitbull to a far-flung land of grizzlies, salmon and crab.

Pitbull, in a promotion by Walmart and Energy Sheets tongue strips, agreed to visit the U.S. Walmart store that receives the most “likes” on its local Facebook page in a 28-day period that ends July 15.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the leader was a Walmart in Kodiak, Alaska, with more than 48,500 likes - roughly eight times its population of about 6,000 people - Walmart spokeswoman Sarah Spencer said Tuesday.

A blogger caught wind of the contest and mischievously suggested last week that the Internet should bind together and send the Miami artist to Kodiak - one of Walmart’s most remote locations – according to FUEL Partnerships, a marketing company involved in the promotion. The call to action spread, including on Twitter with the hashtag #ExilePitbull.

The trip would appear to put one of Pitbull’s nicknames, Mr. Worldwide, to the test. But Pitbull – he of “Back in Time”  and “Give Me Everything” – appears to be up for the visit.

Pitbull was on tour in Munich, Germany, on Tuesday and wasn’t immediately available for comment, his publicist said. But on Twitter, Pitbull was having fun with the Kodiak idea.

“I hear there's bear repellant at Kodiak, Alaska,” Pitbull tweeted Saturday.

On Sunday, he tweeted, “Picture me with a Kodiak…Ha!” - an homage to a “Give Me Everything” lyric “take a picture of me with a Kodak.”

“I’ve known Pitbull for a few years now, and he’s up for a party - whether it’s around the corner, or you have to get there by three planes and a boat in between, as I understand it takes to get to Kodiak,” said Warren Struhl, founder and CEO of Sheets Brand, the Energy Sheets maker.

Kodiak, home of the Kodiak bears - among the largest of the brown bears - is on an island south of the Alaskan mainland.

It’s not yet clear what Pitbull would do during his visit to the winning store, but Pitbull, who also is a Sheets Brand owner, would be part of “a lot of festivities,” and if Kodiak wins, “there will be a party like no other taking place there shortly,” Struhl said.

Kodiak would love to host Pitbull, said Kodiak Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Trevor Brown.

“I figured something was going on,” Brown said of the blogger campaign for Kodiak. “I’m pretty sure he didn’t get that many Facebook hits from here. Then I heard there was some tongue-in-cheek stuff going on about sending him as far away as possible.”

If Pitbull does come, “he’ll really enjoy it – we’ve got a great view, lots of wildlife, and very few places compare to Kodiak in the summertime,” Brown said.

Spencer said it wasn’t clear which Walmart was closest to Kodiak’s in the voting, but she said stores in Arkansas and Texas were doing well.

Post by:
Filed under: Alaska • Celebrity • Music • Showbiz
  1. Sissy

Remote/semi remote Alaska would impress a celebrity far more than a celebrity will impress them. They're measure for 'rock star status' is a little different than the lower 48s is and nobody there gives a damn if you're on JayZ's rolodex. That said, he would have the time of his life!

July 4, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. athos

It is difficult to believe even the RNC's pet PACs would pay for these rambling incoherent diatribes. It is far more likely that the poor fellows off his anti-psychotic meds.

July 4, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. rapsucks

Who is this pitbull dee bag? Why do rappers pick silly names for themselves, why don't they just use their own name? And why send someone like him to dirty up Alaska?

July 4, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • JUGGERNAUT

another hater m0r0n.

who is pitbull???? well he is someone who gave concert in Europe, Africa, north america and south america.....so in conclusion, he is someone that is known by millions, unlike you 🙂

July 4, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • JUGGERNAUT

@Truth

LMAO

whatever help your hating self sleep at night.

P. Diddy is worth 500+ millions
      Jay Z 400+ millions
      50 cent 100+ millions and etc...

nothing fake about it 🙂

July 4, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. ryan evans

While there are certainly people i'd rather exile, he certainly is deserving. Any other "artists" who write songs about their clothing, and cars and how they're like really tough and scary are are welcome to join him... oh and all the idiotic rap fans are welcome to join as well. you can all have a big party and talk about how cool and "hard" you all are. try not to make out with each other tho... bad for the image.

July 4, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • DaVuVuZeLa

Hey! Hey you damn kids! Get off my lawn!!!!

July 4, 2012 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
    • MOCaseA

Heh... They think they are tough and scary until they see a 13 ft tall bear stand up and growl. Then they put Olympic sprinters to shame running away.

July 4, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jon

Pitbull? Looks more like cue-ball. Either way, they call him a "recording artist" so I take that he doesn't play an instrument. Nothing special.

July 4, 2012 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Easy E

I'd rather send his lazy, dumb a $s to a FOB in Afghanistan, where for the first time in his life he can meet up with reality and demonstrate his bravado. If he survives even 3 days of patrols I'd be amazed.

July 4, 2012 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. Michael J.

Pathetic name; pathetic artist.

July 4, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Otis

"Daschund" just didn't sound hard enough. "Alaskan Malamute" may suffice during his Kodiak stay.

July 4, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. JUGGERNAUT

I SEE HATERS........LMAO

🙂 🙂 🙂

YOU HATERS CAN B**CH AND MOAN ALL YOU WANT, PITBULL WILL STILL BE RICH AND LIVING THE HIGH LIFE, LMAO.

AND YOU CAN B**CH AND MOAN ABOUT RAP MUSIC ALL YOU WANT, RAPPERS WILL TILL BE HERE AND THEY WILL STILL BE RICH WHILE YOU B**TCH ON.

LMAO

July 4, 2012 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
    • ryan evans

@JUGGERNAUT I'm sorry man, did we hurt yo fellins talkin bout yo boifren like that?
      It's okay bro... one day, he might let you ride in his G6 and give him dome. I bet you know all his cute little nicknames... that's adorable. Keep actin "hard" gangsta.

I had to humor him, poor lil feller...

July 4, 2012 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Kana

@JUGGERNAUT: Why should anyone be impressed with his wealth. Anyone that would hang around him just to leech off his wealth is a fake and he doesn't need them around.
      With his wealth, what has he done to contribute back to make society better?

July 4, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Bobington

Great commet LMAO
      You sound so intelligent and nothing like a 13 year old girl LMAO
      AND YOU TYPED ALL IN CAPS LMAO
      and you used LMAO 3 times, LMAO

LMAO

July 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. davidqshow

Anyone who uses the word "hater" is probably a D student from Miami and a moron. Now, usually, people call other people morons when they are trying to insult them, but in this case I mean that you are actually of very low intelligence. Sorry if I'm a "hater, vro!"

July 4, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. NotHipHop

Pittbull isn't even close to being true hip-hop. Just more regurgitating the pathetic results of horrible corporate taste and sad, sad, marketting research. I THINK I heard someone mention him years ago, and not I see his face again. I have heard the so called "music" and well...no...it's not that. Anyone that hates an entire genre of music is just closed minded and boring; but...Pittbull isn't music. It's more like forcefed private sector manipulation, and it's spread across too many genres to name anymore, so, I'll stick with what the media DOESN'T tell me is "good". Thanks...

July 4, 2012 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. Becky C.

This is HOW you vote and go for it! :oD Go to your Facebook page to the box at the top of the page that says "Search". Type in "Kodiak, Alaska WalMart" and then "LIKE" their page. It's all in good fun and the employees of the store are all excited! So help Kodiak and the WalMart Store get their 15 minutes of fame and have some fun! Thank you. I'm an Alaskan just not in Kodiak.

July 4, 2012 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Truth

Who am I kidding.. I'm just redirecting the anger I feel towards myself for all these gay thoughts I have.

July 4, 2012 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. rwf93

If there's an award for the WORST artist in the industry PB is your winner!!

July 4, 2012 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. CNN?

Is this really news CNN? What's the matter no one came out of the closet today?

July 4, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |