July 5th, 2012

A look back: Casey Anthony found not guilty of killing daughter one year ago

One year ago Thursday, Casey Anthony entered a courtroom in a pink ruffled shirt, her hair pulled back in a ponytail. She waited to learn whether a jury had found her guilty in the death of her daughter, Caylee.

The tension was palpable. The case had gripped the entire country, and emotions were flaring outside the courthouse. Inside, Anthony was biting her nails and her lower lip and taking deep breaths at the defense table.

Then came the words that would divide many: not guilty. Her trial was one that had gripped the nation. It was a summer obsession for many, who stayed glued to the TV from the moment Caylee went missing to the moment that verdict was read.

Casey Anthony's trial was a summer obsession  | Casey Anthony's trial is one hot ticket

Anthony had been found not guilty of first-degree murder in the 2008 death of her 2-year-old daughter and of aggravated child abuse and aggravated manslaughter. The woman whose face was known around the world, who had been dubbed "tot mom," had her day in court.

HLN: The Casey Anthony Effect | Nancy Grace: Story 'didn't make sense' from start

She wiped tears from her eyes, clutched her attorneys' hands and hugged them.

One year later, Anthony remains in hiding, fearful for her safety and her life. She says she's received numerous threats because people still believe she is guilty of the crime. But she continues to fight to convince them that she is not guilty, exactly the finding a jury decided 12 months ago. Anthony said the world may have one view of her, but she knows who she truly is.

"There’s obviously several misconceptions," Anthony told CNN's Piers Morgan in June. "Obviously, I didn’t kill my daughter."

Anthony told Morgan that she cherished her daughter and did not want to get rid of her, as many people had suggested during and after her trial.

"If anything there’s nothing in this world I’ve ever been more proud of, and there’s no one I loved more than my daughter," Anthony said. "She’s my greatest accomplishment."

As the anniversary nears, here is a look back at evidence and testimony, the verdict as it happened, analysis of the "historic decision" by the jury and some key video from the trial.

Defense: 'Caylee drowned'

The defense argues the Casey Anthony case is not a murder case but a tragic coverup that "snowballed out of control."

Casey: 'All I want is my kid back'

In a conversation taped in jail, Casey Anthony lashes out at the media over coverage of Caylee's disappearance.

Cindy Anthony: 'I lost it'

In court, Casey's mother, Cindy Anthony, describes her journey to finally see Casey and realizing Caylee was missing.

Lee Anthony: 'I was really hurt'

Brother Lee Anthony breaks down in court when asked about Casey's pregnancy.

1. Katie

No sane American wants people to get away with murder, and all of you people who keep writing all of these hateful posts on here need to think back to about 13 months ago; were you watching the trial – did you see all of it – did you set aside your biases and consider the evidence that was presented in open court in accordance with the law? People like you make me worry about our justice system. At some point – most of us get called for jury duty – and god help the person on trail for which you are a part of that jury. The law is the law; the right choice was made – not guilty.

July 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ruf99

there was no hard evidence that could prove her guilty.

July 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ed

I like how the media is once again playing "Holier Than Thou". In the companion piece, "The Casey Anthony Effect", they ignore their role in this travesty. In that, instead of just reporting the facts, they turned it into a three ring circus. All so they could boost their network ratings and individual careers. Just report the facts, the hours and hours of rumors, gosssip, and incorrect information were not necessary.

July 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. George

I think she is spending every waking hour trying to find the "real" killer.I only hope she has better luck than OJ.

July 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • marloo

Well now, Ms. Casey. Now that’s it’s been a year now that you were acquitted, how does it feel? Do you have bad dreams, waking up soaked in sweat, thinking about the monster you are? Do you wake up hearing your precious little daughter calling for you in terror as she died in your trunk? And how does it feel to have left her to rot like garbage in the trunk of your car? Do you feel any grief now? I only hope that God gave her mercy and took her peacefully.

I hope that this guilt rots your guts out, each and every day. Until you can’t stand it anymore. I hope you end up getting a horrible disease that rots you from the inside out. You are a horrible monster and only hope the worst for you. You will die a miserable person and will burn in hell for eternity Ms. Anthony.

July 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. anon

No, actually Casey, it ISN'T obvious you didn't kill your daughter. I had a bad feeling about what the verdict would be from day one. I can see it over and over in my mind how all those idiots simply wouldn't man up and accept their call to civic duty. It blew my mind what LOSERS they were. Low class, irresponsible, immature, crazy LOSERS. I shudder to think that it was a random jury pool, but I guess our country is all like that now. I think the idea of taking in the homeless to decide the case was a good idea. It would have been fair, mainly because they would have taken their sweet time about looking everything over really close.

Most people don't want her on t.v. doing interviews at all. I do. Casey needs to go on a talk show or the news and explain her side of the story. She has never had her feet held to the fire and forced to answer the tough questions. Way too many holes in her version, and I for one want to hear what she has to say about it. Maybe she has the truth inside her, and when we FINALLY her it, it everything will make complete sense. Though I doubt it.

July 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • pbernasc

the beauty of the justice system is that guys like you never get to be on a jury

July 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JohnQPubliqu

...and STILL guilty a year later! Thanks, idiot FL jurors.

July 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitsy

The jury was "out to lunch". What a mindless bunch they were. They could not "connect the dots" as the one woman juror said when interviewed later. It was their job to CONNECT the dots and they all connected in a line towards Casey.

July 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Florida,whats up, you let people walk for killing their child or a stranger, but you sent a woman to prison for 20 years for defending herself by firing a gun in the air to scare of her attacker. Strange world Florida.

July 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TODAY

Guilty and she knows it

July 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kevgr5

God bless you Casey ,you were found not guilty by a jury and if that good enough for our country the usa it good for me , all these other people dont like it tell them to go to Afghanistan where they can have there kind of justice system !!

July 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TODAY

she killed her daughter ...there was no justice...if it was she would be in prison now

July 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PhilG

"My kids missing,I think I'll go party."-Casey.

July 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cari

seriously...you DIDNT kill Caylee??? You say she drowned but you let everyone spend time and money to look for her??? How do you sleep at night, Casey??? How do you close your eyes and not see your daughter looking up at you, taking her
    last breath??? Hell is waiting for you, Casey!!

July 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Are they going to bring this up every year of July 5th?
    Quite frankly, I cared about Caylee, not her "mom".
    I still don't care about Casey.
    Let it go.

July 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Valerie

I would believe that Caylee drowned in the swimming pool if A) her body had not been found in the woods 6 months later with all evidence washed away and B) Her accusations at the "11th Hour" that her father had molested her as a child.

July 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jgn

It certainly is interesting to read barfed comments from total strangers calling each other rednecks, liberals, murderers, etc. Once again misdirecting your anger at someone who has absolutely nothing to do with this story or anything else. None of us were there, and the jury did its best with the evidence collected and presented. End of story. The fact that a little girl died is a tragedy. Can't you even HOPE that it was an accidental death instead of a planned murder? Would you all really prefer to believe otherwise? This woman was freed so there is obviously enough of a shadow of a doubt, so we should accord her the benefit of it.

July 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. inspiredmystic

The amount of evidence against Casey Anthony is overwhelming. I think she must know something, unless I missed something, her actions do not display signs of remorse. I know that not everyone grieves the same way, and people should take that into consideration more. I think it is very likely and possible that if she did not kill her daughter, she knows who did and how it happened. I do not think that the parents had anything to do with the murder of Caylee. I also think it is possible that maybe she is just a really really unintelligent person who did not know how to handle the disappearance of her daughter. Unfortunately, we may never know the answer. I hope that justice may be served, somehow, to whoever did it – Casey or someone else.

July 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |