Zimmerman's new bail set at $1 million
July 5th, 2012

Zimmerman's new bail set at $1 million

A Florida judge set the new bail amount for George Zimmerman - a Florida man charged with murder in the February shooting death of teenager Trayvon Martin - at $1 million on Thursday.

It was unclear how quickly Zimmerman (pictured) could post the bail and be released from jail. His attorney argued that Zimmerman should not be jailed because the state's case is weak and his claim of self-defense is strong.

Zimmerman's previous bail - $150,000 - was revoked last month after the judge learned Zimmerman and his wife had failed to disclose more than $150,000 in donations from the public.

Leading up to the judge's decision Thursday, Zimmerman attorney Mark O'Mara asked the judge to set the same $150,000 bail amount that he granted in April. Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda countered that Zimmerman should remain in jail without bail because he was complicit in lying to the court and can't be trusted.

Zimmerman, who says he shot the unarmed Martin in self-defense, could stay in jail until his eventual trial or could be released Thursday if he posts bail. He would not have to post the full amount. Only a percentage is needed to make bail.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Florida • Trayvon Martin
  1. might i suggest

Ps. Make sure to video everything, if legal to take pictures of police in action in your home State.

July 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pete

Getting killed by a Charles Bronson wanne be that wanted to be a cop,just ignorence on Zimmermans part because I'm in Florida and news down here pretty much has him quilty that's all.Community watch volunteers don't aren't allowed to be armed,just mace,pepperspray,not a 9mm pistol.He was told to stay put and he screwed up,real simple,listen to authority and all would be different,no dead teenagers,no idiot going to jail for murder either,case closed..You can't have idiots carry guns because idiots think guns are toys,well they'd not!!!

July 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • salinesolution

So your saying he's quilty until proven blanket? By the way he had a concealed carry permit which allows him to carry a firearm, I don't think neighborhood watch is a 24 hour a day job so just because he is driving around the neighborhood doesn't mean he is acting in his official neighborhood watch position which means he is allowed to carry a firearm.

July 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip @mickey

So yer saying Osama Bin Laden was innocent b/c no court of law proved him guilty. Unique concept. Rather, novel these days.

July 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Zimmerman is at least guilty of manslaughter, and never could it be said Zimmerman was innocent of manslaughter. Never could a judge rightly be criticized who found Zimmerman guilt of manslaughter and sentenced him to prison.
    HE HAS ALREADY ADMITTED TO MANSLAUGHTER.
    Travon? It matters not what he was or was not doing. Nothing people claim Trayvon was doing carries the death penalty Zimmerman gave him.
    (like people who lose civil lawsuits for turning their dogs loose on a common thief. Sometimes, it takes a judge to explain that TV theft doesn't call for a dog mauling, as ignorant as some are)

July 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Philip, if you are attacked, you have the right to defend yourself. In fl you can use lethal force.

July 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

...or as being that infatuated withTV. (although some studies more than suggest that avid video makes for ignorance, even of ones own kids. Wait! You cured that too. Men now spend long hours of avid video WITH their kids! Yeah. That'll make it better.

July 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

Mickey. No duh. But if you take someone's life, you must be able to prove they intended to kill you, or else it's at least manslaughter. None have demonstrated Trayon to be a premeditating murderer. (amd my illustration of the ignorant who turn their dogs loose on a common thief, and then claim "what "if" he was here to kill me", as court records show the man to be nothing but a petty thief, who, if stealing your tV was the worst he ever did to you, he did better by you than many you have known that you DIDN'T turn your dogs on, let alone alert authorities) Travon did nothing deserving of death at the hands of a Zimmer Man.

July 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

He doesn't need to PROVE innocence. He just needs to show reasonable doubt.

Injuries (as per police reports and witnessed by EMT) + one 911 caller who saw him getting pummeled = reasonable doubt

July 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Philip, the wounds on the back out his head site an entent too bash his skull in, pretty open and shut. And the judge jacked the bail, allegedly due to fight risk, but he turn himself in when asked, so the cooperation should rule that out too.

July 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Zimmerman is a manslaughterer and must pay. It is up to the court to decide how much. That decision rests with the court.
    What Trayvon did or didn't do does not matter. Nothing he did carries with it a death sentence at the hands of a man such as Zimmerman.

July 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

1) If I have a sign on my door, saying I have a dangerous dog, and some burglar breaks into my house, he gets what he gets.
    If he is either too stupid to read, or takes his chances and breaks in anyway, oh well.
    This may vary from state to state, but my state throws frivolous lawsuits out, and indeed, the person suing may be held liable for court costs.
    Similar to filing a false police report, for instance.

2) The jury shall decide what GZ is liable for.

3) Opinions are like a holes; everyone has one.
    The only opinion that is going to matter is not yours nor mine; but the jurors who sit at the trial.

July 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO ©

He'll get off. Unless a video suddenly appears completely debunking self defense. Nothing short of that will convict him, either on murder or manslaughter. Nothing.

July 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

They ought to set Zimmermans bail at One Trillion Dollars. Obama would be the only one that could spring him. He's all the time spending money for stupid stuff anyways.

July 5, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hope

If you're in a fist fight and pull a gun and shoot to kill, that's second degree murder. It may only take $100k but whoever bails him out on a million bond, pays the mil if he skips.

I hope he can't make bond and has to sit it out. His violent history is a big hurdle for the defence. The recordings are gonna nail his ass. BIG, little man... Napoleon complex and a nine millimeter, deadly combination.

Justice for Trey!

July 6, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Hope

My money's on a guilty verdict. But the real justice will come when Law Enforcement's heads roll... and torts take its' toll. A million is nothing in comparison.

O-O

July 6, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Tesla

Umm... what if you never wanted to be in that fist fight?

An unarmed person can do a lot of damage. I'm a big guy, I could probably really hurt a lot of people smaller than me. Let's pretend you're smaller than me (don't know if you are). I might pick a fight with you because I could probably win. And since I won, I should get something, right? It's only fair. So... gimme your wallet. It's mine, 'cause we had a little fist fight that I started and won.

Still, that's not so bad. You just got mugged, but it's just money, my life's worth more than that. Ok, what if I'm a psychopath, or some kind of sicko? Maybe I want your life, just because. Maybe I want your body. And since I won that little fist fight, it's only fair, right?

If you want a fast return to a world where your personal physical strength is the only thing protecting you, be my guest. But just remember there are strong, dangerous, and sometimes downright evil people in this world. I feel much better just knowing I can have afirearm.

July 6, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. Hope

Boy... they just stick my posts wherever they wish. I posted a comment was addressed and posted in respondence to Mickey. Sorry Mr. Dallaway.

Nite...

July 6, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hope

Don't you just love CNN?

😉

July 6, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

The single most widely used piece of physical evidence where convicted burglars sue homeowners who intentionall set their dogs loose on him, is the 'Beware of Dog' sign. An admission that you knew your dogs to be vicious and capable of killing a human who court records show is nothing but a petty thief.
    "What if" the petty thief was there to murder little old me" doesn't cover for a dog mauling.
    If he kicks your pregnant biatch, and a puppy is born dead, then YOU can sue him back and win in court. But if you are pregnant and he murders you, it's a double homicide. (unless he was your doktor abortist and you had an appointment with him next tuesday anyway)

July 6, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • @Philip

Banasy is correct. MY right to have and own property, which includes a dog and signs stating there is a dog on the premesis, TRUMPS your petty thief minded mentality to break in my house and steal my stuff. And if I am home when this break-in takes place. I won't use the dog...I WILL shoot you. If you are a criminal, and you want to steal my stuff-–you GET A LITTLE EXTRA THAN YOU BARGAINED FOR! Hey, give me your address. I'll send a "petty thief" right over to relieve YOU of YOUR belongings. Man, shaking my head at absolute stupidity...

July 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

The jury will decide the penalty for manslaughter in this case. End of story.
    For the record, your bible records laws starting with 10 commandments. Read the next 500 and you will find one whereif a man accidentally bumps into a pregnant woman and her child is born dead, that man is guilty of manslaughter and is bannished to a city of refuge away from commercial society for 7 years.
    Based on the principle of this old law, a lot of you women owe us 7 years. And Zimmerman is a manslaughterer.

July 6, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • @Philip

EXACTLY! The JURY will decide. Will this get you outta your pulpit now? Sheesh!

July 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Philip

Women owe you nothing, because thankfully our laws are not based on the OT. I think someone's mother owes the world an apology, tho!!!

July 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |