July 6th, 2012

What's going on at Wimbledon this weekend

History was made on Saturday when American Serena Williams defeated Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, to win the 2012 Wimbledon's women's singles final. This is Williams' seventh finals appearance for the Grand Slam tournament, and her fifth Wimbledon win.

Williams and her sister, Venus, also defeated the Czech Republic's Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka in the women's doubles final. The sisters have five singles titles each, and now, five doubles titles.

In the men's doubles final, Briton Jonathan Marray and Denmark's Frederik Nielsen beat Sweden's Robert Lindstedt and Romania's Horia Tecau. Marray's victory gave Britain its first men's doubles champion since 1936 and according to the Wimbledon blog, Nielsen is the first Danish player to win a Grand Slam title, ever.

"Oh my God I can't even describe..." Williams said after her singles win, according to the Wimbledon live blog. "I thank Jehovah for letting me get this far. I almost didn't make it , two years ago I was in hospital... It's so worth is and I'm so happy. I never dreamt of being here again. You just never give up."

Williams was in the hospital recovering from a pulmonary embolism 18 months ago.

Serena Williams wins 2012 Wimbledon

When asked if age 30 is the new 20, Williams replied, ""Oh my God, of course. Hello? I've been saying it all week: mentally I'm kind of 12, 13. I've always wanted everything Venus has had so... I had to copy you again, sorry!"

Radwanska was noticeably disappointed about losing out on her chance to snag her first Grand Slam tournament win.

"I'm still shaking so much, so I think I have the best two weeks of my life you know?" Radwanska said. "Of course she played too good today. I already have great memories from 2005 when I won junior Wimbledon. I think it was not my day today but I will just try next year and we'll see. Thank you very much for the support. Thank you so much."

The men's doubles match proved to be historic. Nielsen is the first Danish man to make the Wimbledon finals since 1955, when his grandfather played in the singles final. Marray was the first British man to play in the men's doubles final since 1960.

"We can't believe it. It's tough to sink in. I don't know what to say," Marray said afterwards.

On Sunday, Andy Murray will go head to head with Roger Federer in the men's singles final.

The last time a Briton reached the Wimbledon men's singles final, the photos taken of the event were in black and white.

On Friday, Andy Murray became the first one in 74 years. Now, he’s up against six-time champion Roger Federer for the final on Sunday. No matter who wins, history will be made. If Murray wins, during this year of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee, you can bet the pubs will be full on Sunday night. If Federer wins, he will join American Pete Sampras and Briton William Renshaw atop the list of all-time men's singles champions.

The Wimbledon finals bring all of the drama to resounding conclusion, in crushing defeat or resounding victory, for two women and two men.

Perhaps you dine on strawberries and cream every summer in your best white outfit in honor of the international event. Or you’re just tuning in to see if Murray makes it in one of those gripping human-interest sports stories viewers like to seize on.

Last year two people won their first Wimbledon titles. The Czech Republic'ss Petra Kvitova defeated Russia’s Maria Sharapova to snag her first Grand Slam championship, while Serbia’s Novak Djokovic beat Spain’s Rafael Nadal.

Entering its 126th year, the tournament still carries its historic charm. Patrons in their straw hats and finery sip on champagne and eat their strawberries and cream amidst a polite atmosphere.

The tennis players are still referred to as “ladies” and “gentlemen,” wearing white outfits. The referees sport club blazers. Well-trained 15-year-old ball boys and ball girls in navy shorts and polo shirts, who jockey for the coveted spot throughout the year, dash on and off the courts.

Still held on the grass, the only one of four Grand Slam events to do so, Wimbledon has always been held at the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club in London.

The club was founded in 1868, and the first tournament, called the Lawn Tennis Championships, was held in 1877. The other three Grand Slam tennis tournaments are the Australian, French and U.S. Opens.

It was suspended from 1915 to 1918 during World War I and 1940-1945 during World War II. In October 1940, a bomb hit Centre Court, wiping out 1,200 stadium seats.

And of course, no Wimbledon would be complete without the royals in attendance. The Royal Box has 74 dark green Lloyd Loom wicker chairs for British and foreign royal families, government leaders, tennis well-knowns, British armed forces, media organizations and British tennis supporters.

And unlike the Royal Ascot, hats are discouraged for the ladies – spectators don’t want to bob around behind them for a view of the court.

Until 2003, players bowed and curtseyed to the royal family when entering or leaving the court. That practice has been discarded, the only exception being for the queen and the prince of Wales.

All things tennis and Wimbledon on CNN

Other Facts:

- Most men's singles championships: Pete Sampras and William Renshaw - 7. (Renshaw's titles, in the 1880s, came before professionals were permitted to compete).

- Most women's singles championships: Martina Navratilova - 9.

- Oldest winner: Navratilova, in mixed doubles at the age 46 years, 261 days, in 2003.

- Youngest winner:  Martina Hingis, in women's doubles, age 15 years, 282 days, in 1996.

- Most matches played: Navratilova: 326.

- Longest match: John Isner defeated Nicolas Mahut in 11 hours and 5 minutes over three days in 2010.   The final set took 138 games (Wimbledon has no tie-breakers in fifth sets; a player must win by two games).  The final score: 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 70-68. The fifth set alone, spanning more than eight hours, far eclipsed the previous record for the longest match in pro tennis history.

- Total prize money for 2012: ₤16.1 million ($24.9 million) - a a 10% increase over 2011.  Singles champions each receive ₤1.15 million ($1.78 million). (In 2007, the female champion received the same cash award as the male champ for the first time).

We'll be watching Wimbledon right along with you and updating all weekend, so be sure to keep tabs on our coverage. And if you love all things Wimbledon, you'll enjoy our previous perspectives on the tournament.

Photos: Britain's last champ

Wimbledon winner talks love-hate relationship with tournament

Wimbledon grass faces Olympic race against time and nature

How underdogs can have their day

Shhh! Tennis battles to shunt the grunters

Death of a tennis art: Is this the end for serve and volley?

'You cannot be serious!' Top tennis tantrums

15-love: Top tennis romances

1. Philip

...next, she'll say that Billy Jean King was born as a carpet munching dillrod rather than converting herself.

July 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

...as he talks about the human psyche that he dosen't know anything about, thus showing his ignorance...

July 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

...that Martina Navratilova's condom covered sausage is natures way of saying *hello*. 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

...as he practices writing for Huster Magazine again.... 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lippy Johnson

I very much dislike Serina Williams, I was praying for her to have a mental breakdown and make a fool of herself, however she came through and was the better player today. Please have the whole Williams family go to a desert island and drop out of sight. (FOREVER) !!!!!

July 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • KLynn

@Lippy Johnson...after you! You haven't done anything for sports and more than likely probably nothing for your community. You go to an island first...and let's see who follows you.

July 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

What's the matter, Lippy Jealous?

July 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oribates

July 7, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Philip:
    I was correcting a poster in insinuated the Billie ;ean 'ing was transgendered, which is incorrect.
    This poster had the u/n Bill Gene King, so the insinuation and the implication was unmistakable.
    I will say nothing about the other players, because I care not one about who their preffered partners are, inasmuch as it has absolutely nothing to do with how they play tennis.

July 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brown Sugar

Serena can come to my north pole any day of the week.

July 7, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Congratulations to Serena Williams on her win!

July 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lady Vee

Go Roger!!!

July 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

What's going on at Wimbleton is some behind kicking, Serena kicked behind but we must remember she too has been on the receiving end of a behind kicking. Well done Serena.

July 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lady Vee

"Yay Serena" "Go Roger" "Go Venus & Serena"

July 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

I'd like to see an award for most improved mouth, she is no lady, her win is of superficial value.
    And I still miss the days of john Mcenroe and Jimmy Connors.
    What gives Cnn, why did you delete that post regarding Connors and Mcenroe earlier?

July 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, Mary!
      Not to put to fine a point on it, but McEnroe had quite the mouth on him, too.
      He was absolutely no gentleman either...
      Although his tantrums are the stuff of legends!

July 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, and remember when Jimmy Connors and Chrissy Evert were tennis' golden couple?
      They were cute together...
      But André Agassi?
      HE was one to watch...

July 7, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

I'm from the ole school, a womens mouth can spoil her good looks.
    A man, well I do have another set of rules for them, McEnroe (yes I thought it was capital E) like other men with foul mouths seems funny to me, therefore, I excuse it. Oh well that's just me.

July 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Mary:
      Ah, I see...that explained it.
      To me, the real destroyer of outward beauty is the ugliness that lies within a person...I no longer respect many outwardly beautiful people any more because of that.
      When someone has an ugly soul, they're ugly, period.

Not saying that about McEnroe, though; he just used to crack me up with his antics...his "you have GOT to be kidding me!" is almost immortal, lol!

July 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Oribates

@Lippy Johnson – I'm sure you do not get how absolutely ridiculous you sound. Get some help and maybe you will feel better about yourself.

@KLynn – well said. Lippy doesn't sound too bright, do she? But, I'm going to pray for her. Haha.

July 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Superman

Others will put others down when they don't understand accomplishments or they do nothing but sit on the couch and work ways to hurt others so like I've said before sit down so we can no longer hear you talk and remember not to smear your lipstick as your sitting good dog here's your bone

July 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. resident1728

Great- cant we just appreciate good tennis and quit complaining.
    As a fan, I am mighty ticked about one thing only. The ladies final was over before they put it on tv here, and then here I find both the mens and womens doubles are over and done with, and were NEVER on TV at all. Why show us all these matches, working up to the finals, and then not show the finals? That would be like the NFL failing to show the super bowl. Doesn't make sense.. In Britain, the BBC always shows EVERY hour of the playing day, some match or the other. I was hoping they would have full coverage here, but not to be.

July 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

@resident728. Stop trying to make womens tennis as if it were big like womens figure skating. Plus skaters do AMAZING feats of physicality without grunting and groaning...or stabbing anyone. (since Tonya Harding, anyway)

July 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |