Reports: Justin Bieber cited after freeway chase
Justin Bieber was cited for reckless driving, according to news reports from Los Angeles.
July 7th, 2012

Reports: Justin Bieber cited after freeway chase

Pop star Justin Bieber was cited for speeding on a Southern California freeway Friday after a trying to evade paparazzi in a high-speed chase, according to news reports from Los Angeles.

L.A. City Councilman Dennis Zine, a former police officer,  told CNN affiliate KABC-TV that he witnessed the incident on the South 101 Freeway in Studio City and reported it to the California Highway Patrol.

He said Bieber was traveling at about 100 mph in his Fisker Karma hybrid.

"It was like a rocket ship coming by, I'm not exaggerating when I say that,"  KABC quoted Zine as saying. "When it passed me, it had to be going close to 100 mph."

Zine told the Los Angeles Times that the chase between Bieber and the paparazzi spread across the freeway and even on to the shoulder.

"It was like slot cars, they were going so fast," the Times quoted Zine as saying. "It was a very dangerous driving situation. I figured someone was going to crash,  so I called 911."

CHP spokesman Saul Gomez told Reuters that Bieber was cited for driving 80 mph in a 65 mph zone.

CHP officer Ming Hsu said an officer saw a car pursuing Bieber but that it fled when Bieber was stopped.

The incident drew a crowd on the roadway, one witness told KABC, with motorists stopping to take Bieber's picture.

Zine told the Times the paparazzi should have been cited as well as the 18-year-old singer, but he said the pursuing photographers were no reason for Bieber to speed.

"Anytime you do 90, the paparazzi are going to go 90," Zine was quoted as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Justin Bieber • Los Angeles • Music • Showbiz
  1. Wil

That's Fisker Karma is a nice car, I confess I've never heard about it. Their staff might helped with that news.

July 7, 2012 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Brian

Last night an off duty Army medic in Phoenix Az saved the life of an unborn baby whos mother was killed in a car wreck...Cnn didnt report it..they are to busy reporting about this overpaid idiot kid who the world could definately afford to live without. CNN stands for communist News Network...I dont care about them, or Justing bieber..I care more about used toilet paper then them! Only becauseif this story!

July 7, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Geoff

So some medic took a baby from a deceased mother. Big deal. We're talking FREAKIN' JUSTIN BEIBER here! Get a grip dude. This is America. We want to know what Gaga, J-Lo, Phillip Phillips, and Chucky Sheen are doing and we don't want to be bothered with coverage of wars, world economics, new scientific discoveries, or anything else that requires the use of gray matter.

July 7, 2012 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Zimmer

I'm from Germany. I am visiting the US, and I am perplexed at all of the negative comments about this actor. He has come to Europe but no one utters the sorts of bad opinions about them that I am reading here. Has he done crimes in the US before? I see people here wishing him to die, which I've never seen before on a news editorial.

July 7, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Gabbi

No he hasn't done any crimes that's just the cold hearted people that have NOTHIng better to do than to wish death apon someone theyve never met n doesn't deserve this treatment... Honestly I'm completely ashamed of these people they need to think b4 they type. People here in the US or actually this site are out of their minds! He just so happens to be loved by a ton more people than he is hated by. Which I dnt understand either! How can u hate someone you don't know n that has done NOTHing wrong... Atleast nothing that has affected u in anyway! I'm sorry u had to see this on your vacation. Not everyone here is heartless. Have an amazing trip 🙂

July 7, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Geoff

We hate him because he is Canadian. Just like Dana Carvey, Jim Carey, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, Michael J. Fox, and Ann Murray. Canadians are slowly taking over and it scares us.

July 7, 2012 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Richard

Bieber should go to Germany where they have roads adults can travel on.

July 7, 2012 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Yury

Who is this girl that appears to be in picture above this article wearing earrings??

July 7, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Name*Randy Braswell

Not if you just want to be Lift alone and have a normal day like the next person

July 7, 2012 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Orlando

Seriously?. How is this news and why is this on the front page.

July 7, 2012 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. Shidona Shingle

Justin Beiber gets a speeding ticket and its one of the top news items. It will be alot more of a news item when he finally comes out of the closet...

July 7, 2012 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. KS Native

Zine is an idiot. No matter WHO is chasing you in a car they should also be cited for a traffic violation. I'm not defending punk-Bieber. Jusy sayin what should be obvious.

July 7, 2012 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Darkguardian1314

Reminds me of what happen to Princess Diana. Not justifying what Bieber did but if there were paparazzi chasing him then they should be cited as well.

July 7, 2012 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tom

Okay, if he doesn't go to jail, can he at least receive three strikes across the belly with a wet pudding cloth?

July 7, 2012 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ran Herti

I still can't wrap my head around pop culture. Then again, look at how wildly popular yet totally lousy the Beatles where until Paul died and was replaced by a Canadian mountie. Could Justin be Paul number 2's illegitimate son?
    Could it be a Canadian conspiracy?
    Have I read way too much news tonight?

July 7, 2012 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. Geoff

If the story doesn't involve Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, and Demi Lovato in some twisted love triangle then I'm not interested.

July 7, 2012 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. Brian

Zine said the paparazzi were no reason to do 90? Does he think Princess Diana is still alive?

July 7, 2012 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. James

Guys be nice to bieber, he saves my life once.

I was in a coma for 2 and a half months and one day my grandma turned on the radio and justin bieber was on.
    I got up from my bed and turned the radio off.

July 7, 2012 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
    • KB

A joke stolen straight from Facebook.

July 7, 2012 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Rednip

Funny, I had the same experience with Rush Limbaugh.

July 7, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • BretLA

LOL...genius

July 7, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • jzerm

my condolences. I would hate to wake up to a Beiber world also.

July 7, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |