Trayvon Martin memorial removed but preserved, city says
Mourners set up a memorial to Trayvon Martin at the entrance to the subdivision where he was killed in February.
July 9th, 2012

Trayvon Martin memorial removed but preserved, city says

An impromptu memorial to slain teenager Trayvon Martin has been dismantled, but the items that composed it are being preserved, the city of Sanford, Florida, announced Monday.

After consultations with Martin's family, city staff members removed the items from the entrance of the subdivision where Martin was shot in February during a confrontation with neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, City Manager Norton Bonaparte's office said.

Zimmerman, 28, was released from jail Friday after posting bond on a second-degree murder charge. He has said he shot Martin in self-defense after Martin assaulted him.

The city workers moved the objects to the Sanford Museum on Monday afternoon, the announcement said.

"All the items retrieved have been carefully handled and inventoried," it said.

The announcement listed all the objects moved to the museum:

• One large wood cross, 58 inches tall, painted white with American flag on the top and photo of Trayvon Martin on one side.
  • One wood cross, 36 inches tall, painted white, with the words "Justice for All" in black on one side.
  • One string of silver plastic beads with a heart.
  • One ceramic angel.
  • One ceramic cross.
  • One wood and metal heart.
  • Three standard size footballs, one small football.
  • One Styrofoam cross with blue artificial flowers.
  • Several wreaths with artificial flowers and many loose artificial flowers.
  • Two small American flags.
  • One green balloon weight with yellow artificial flowers.
  • Two Mickey Mouse balloon weights.
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida • Trayvon Martin
  1. The Truth

The one thing a black man fears is being killed by another black man

July 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dee Dee

Dott. off yourself, and soo. your white supremacy act is getting old, as I suspect your are.

July 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deep in the Heart of Texas

I wonder how Obama feels about this memorial being removed for his "son"?

July 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee Dee

Deep In The Fart That's Texas, think you can beat a comment any deader than TM is? Obama has nothing to do with this. Old, stupid joke by old, stupid people!

July 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mom of 4 and one angel that is forever 18

My question would be... WHY??? What of any significance has this kid ever deserve to be worth of " a part of history"? Give it a rest... PLEASE!! I am so sick of this story...the media just keeps stirring this up over and over. How about covering a story about a tragic death of a straight A student who never go in trouble or smoked weed... oh wait... that isn't worthy of the media frenzy.

July 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Puhleeze

While I am sorry that you lost a child, I am sure that Trayvon's mother is equally sorry she lost hers. The life of a child is no more valid than another child, no matter how bitter one becomes.

July 10, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Puhleeze

I also assume that if your child died tragically, there IS a memorial. TM's death isn't any less tragic because he smoked pot or got in trouble in school. A grief support group may help. Seek it.

July 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Truth

Because Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson cant make any money offit, you know the moral police of this country.

July 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jane s.

Where is the Daniel Adkins memorial being kept?

July 11, 2012 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jacaranda

In a comment I read that the lawyers and others searched systematically Trayvon Martins whole schooltime, they tore apart his whole short life to find faults. And then: They shouted what a bad boy, – what a danger for George Zimmerman he was.
    I beg your pardon, – has anybody done the same in GZ’s case?

Someone explained, that GZ had his bad times, then for quite awhile he was a good person, than he took a turn to the worse again ‘But you must understand, he was young then, you know. Remember, he was only 24 then.’

What about Trayvon? He is 17!!’

IF GZ was on his back and, as he claimed, TM slammed his head repeatedly against the pavement (GZ said the hurting was so terrible, it felt as if his head was going to explode.) How could he walk away as easily as he did? There was no pain in his face. I saw no blood. Well yes, in a later video I did. It looked strange.
    This story makes me very sad. I cant comprehend this tragedy.
    I’m a white female and I’m not a racist.
    I’m writing from my memory, and I don’t know your language well. I apologize.

July 11, 2012 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. ProudUSMCVet

@ Sharon – What does out running a bullet have to do with this case? Martin didn't know about the gun at all from what has been reported and Zimmerman did not show his gun until he pulled it out to use it. It was a concealed weapon, meaning not seen. Both of these individuals made serious errors in judgement and one lost a life. Unfortunately that happens every day.

I don't understand how people are saying Martin is innocent. The kids past reflects something completely opposite. You cannot be unbiased without comparing his past if you nit pick at Zimmermans. Did this kid deserve to die, that is not for me to say because I wasn't there. By his look, written words, phone conversations and past indiscretions, I think this would have happened eventually. He represented the "thug life" and paid the price.

Zimmerman played the wanna be cop and he is currently paying for his actions. If Martin would have continued walking and not returned to Zimmerman, this entire thing could have been avoided. Those idiots who say Zimmerman was waiting to kill something black need to be beat about the head and face for a few hours. This is not about race. There is absolutely no proof that this was race related. Just because Zimmerman said a few choice words does not make it racist. I'm sure Martin said his share.

This kid made a serious mistake and it cost him his life. Get over it. If you didn't know him, what gives you the right to be so argumentative? His parents should be ashamed. They are using his name to make themselves rich. Maybe if they paid that much attention when he was alive, he would still be here. Children need to be taught ethics, morals, discipline and respect. It is obvious that he wasn't taught any of them. Does he deserve a shrine? Maybe, if it were at his home, a church or something of that manner. I don't believe they should have let it be there this long. Plant a cross there and maybe some flowers but that should be it.

And if you think I'm a racist, think again. I am a proud black man who raised two grown children that were taught correctly. Enough of this nonsense already.

July 11, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. jennifer goltman

Did his monument have his gold-grill?... And photos of his thug tattoos?... What about the pictures of the aggressive gangsta-faces he was making at the camera? Did his monument have his marijuana-pipe somewhere in it?... What about the tools from his "break-in kit" they found in his backpack at school?...

July 11, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. jennifer goltman

In case people passing by just happened to be curious, did his monument provide for them a list of addresses to Zimmerman's innocent relatives' houses?...

July 11, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. DonnainTexas

Zimmerman is guilty, he was the adult and should have followed his Neighborhood Watchman rules.
    At that time Trayvon was not committing a crime, and I have yet to see proof that he had committed a crime.
    It's the people in our society that cause the chaos in our world. Your quick to call people thugs and demean them and expect them to be perfect. It takes a village raise a child, until we start accepting who we are and help each other this world will be doomed. Speaking from experience, Trayvon was far from a THUG, he had plenty of time to make good decisions in his life, who are we to decide or imagine what his life would have been. We are supposed to help the youth of this world to make it better but some people here are EVIL. They condone and forgive the things Zimmerman has done in his past, and at 28 he is no role model for anyone, but demean Trayvon. It's sad.

July 11, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Northernstar

The only reason this particular killing made the news was because Zimmerman got off easier than if he had parked illegally. Even trained police officers have their shootings investigated and are pulled from patrol until the investigation is completed. Shooting someone in Florida should not be that easy to walk away from. Not every teenager is a poster child growing up, they make some bad choices but that does not mean that they should end up dead when walking home from the convenience store. Zimmerman's account of the events made at least one of the investigating officers on the night of the shooting WANT to charge him (but he was over ruled). Something is wrong with this case and the more you see and hear from Zimmerman the less believable he is. It will be interesting to see if the evidence from the scene of the shooting support Zimmerman's version of events.

July 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • DARTH VADER

i was walking my dogs in the park and almost trayvonned some dude

July 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry Pelham

EXCUSE ME! But Mr. George Zimmerman was a Dually Authorized Neighborhood Watch Patrol Officer with FULL Arrest Powers granted him under State of Florida Law! Plus he was legally authorized to carry a Neighborhood Watch Patrol Officer's side-arm at all times while out on patrol in his Gated Community in the course of carrying out his assigned duties!!!!

July 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynda

It is clear to me that Zimmernan is a murderer and the police department knows it. The chief of police resigned because he was well aware of the fact that Zimmerman murdered young Trayvon...

July 17, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. BlogMediator

No commentator knows what happened that night and all these comments are speculative. We all know however, that the sitting president make an inappropriate racial slur when he stated shortly after the shooting made headlines , ' that could have been my son', in reference to Martin, who was black. I would wager a guess, that had Martin been a white lad, Barrack Hussein Obama never would have so much as given the story a second thought!

July 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • emninty

To those who think like KIZZ60, you have obviously not suffered the humiliating, dehumanizing affect of being tageted by individuals who share your sentiments simply because of who you are and how you look. But I assure you this is a case that should be in the national spotlight. I have always thought J. Jackson and A. Sharpton have sought the out the camera for their own good. I now thank God for them and others like them. The same God you should ask into your heart.

July 12, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. SPENT

Place them in the Louvre in Paris...I am sure it will get a lot of attention.

July 12, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Harry Pelham

Place them in the Louvre in Paris...I am sure it will get a lot of attention.

One would think that President Barack ( If I had a son ) Obama would want them preserved in the Smithsonian NO doubt!

July 15, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. George in Vermont

My question is why a museum and why this kids memorial? Have other people been killed and had THEIR memorials moved into a local museum? If not, isn't that prejudicial?

July 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • sergio rodriguez

July 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • sergio rodriguez

The city of Sanford is afraid of the black community,the city has to handle this with kitten gloves.They're afraid of rioting,If they just go dump it at the dump.But to put it in a museum,I'm sorry but that is too much .Maybe they should just dump it.

July 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

@George and Serg, please look up the museum and the man that founded it. It will answer your questions and I will not have to post the results of my finds again. It will explain everything.

July 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tony

Zimmerman has Wyatt Erp syndrome and Trayvon was a thug. No heros here.

July 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • TruthSeeker

You nailed it!

July 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • DARTH VADER

George Zimmerman is a scapegoat for scared Florida officials.
      let the animals start rioting,they will be shot down like the animals they are

July 14, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |