Goalkeeper Solo gets drug warning ahead of Olympics
Hope Solo, seen here in a May 27 game against China, is clear to play in the Olympics despite the warning.
July 10th, 2012

Goalkeeper Solo gets drug warning ahead of Olympics

An anti-doping agency has issued a public warning to U.S. women’s soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo after she tested positive for a banned diuretic, a substance that she says she didn’t know was in premenstrual medication prescribed by her physician.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency says it accepts Solo’s explanation, and U.S. Soccer says the warning will not prevent its first-choice goalkeeper from competing in the 2012 Olympics or any other competition.

Solo, 30, tested positive for canrenone in a urine sample taken last month, the USADA said this week.

Canrenone is a diuretic, a type of substance that could help athletes pass drug tests by diluting their urine, according to the Mayo Clinic. Because of this, diuretics sometimes are referred to as masking agents.

An investigation determined that the diuretic was part of a prescribed medication she was taking under a doctor’s care, the USADA said.

“I took a medication prescribed by my personal doctor for pre-menstrual purposes that I did not know contained a diuretic,” Solo said in a statement released by U.S. Soccer. “Once informed of this fact, I immediately cooperated with USADA and shared with them everything they needed to properly conclude that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way.

“As someone who believes in clean sport, I am glad to have worked with USADA to resolve this matter and I look forward to representing my country at the 2012 Olympic Games in London."

U.S. Soccer said it “fully supports” Solo’s clarification that the positive test was “not related to performance enhancement in any way.”

“We fully cooperated with USADA during the disciplinary process to ensure it could be resolved quickly. Hope has accepted the public warning for her rule violation,” U.S. Soccer said.

Solo and the rest of the U.S. women’s soccer team are expected to begin training in the United Kingdom this week, ahead of this month’s Olympic Games. The team will begin with a match against France on July 25, two days before the games’ opening ceremonies, in Glasgow, Scotland.

Post by:
Filed under: Soccer • Sports
  1. banasy©

Perhaps she has PCOS...perhaps it is none of our biz why she was taking medicine was legally precribed by her doctor; she knows about it now, and she has accepted the warning.
    Seems to me: case closed.
    Move on.

July 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Obama Mama

I think if you are taking a medicine for cramps, you do not much care or think it will have something in it illegal, you just want relief from the pain orrrrrr bloating. The end.

July 10, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bayousara

I made it through menstruation without any pills and so can Hope! Anyone who is really serious about being clean and appearing to be clean won't take even an aspirin!

July 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Deena

You obviously have NO idea how much pain & discomfort some women go through then.

July 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

PMDD is a disabling disorder. To say that every woman is the same and can "cope" is unrealistic and ignorant.

July 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • yourlogicisflawed

and where did you get your medical degree?

July 10, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JayS

Obviously she was trying to mask that steroid that makes you a better goal-keeper. I mean really, is a goalie really going to need performance enhancing drugs?

July 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • j10s

That is kind of a dumb statement... Of COURSE they need every edge they can get. At the top levels of the game, they train and work as hard ass anyone! That said, I think she was honest in this and was why she was cleared.

July 10, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marc T

I'm no expert on this, but I believe one of the allegations in Baseball's doping scandals was that steroids will improve your reaction times, which would obviously be a big advantage for a goalie in soccer. That said, I also think this was just a honest mistake.

July 10, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunney

You clearly need to learn more about performance enhancing drugs. What athlete wouldn't benefit from increased strength, stamina and quicker recovery time from injuries??

July 10, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Obama Mama

@Jay and Bayousara- Neither of you have ever had cramps that make you double over in pain, and agony right?

July 10, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. skeene

Yay!!!!! Hope Solo's going to be the US women goalie!!!!! I can't wait for the Olympics.

July 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joe Crosher

The USADA is a bigger disgrace than any doped athlete.

July 10, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

@Dave – do you even know what PMDD is? Its premenstrual dysphoric disorder – a psychological condition similar to depression. It has nothing to do with cramps. Gotta love the WebMD crowd.

July 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. abeachlover

Oh please. Doctor visit=opportunity to get a "prescription" Females lie and cheat too! Wake up.

July 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ishiibrad

I still don`t understand why the Olympics doesn`t have medical staff where all people could go and see a doctor and get their meds from . Any problems ...go see the olympic doctor !

July 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. PeriSOft

All I can say is that it's an utter tragedy that she isn't named "Hannah". Wait for it...

July 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 22232

She is innocent. End of story. PERIOD!

July 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. easchner

So she tests positive and USADA hears she took prescribed medicine and says "Oh, okay. Be careful when you go to the Olympics, they may care."

Lance passes 500+ tests without a single failure and the USADA hears from several proven liars that he cheated and they drag him through the mud.

Nice consistency, guys.

July 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Glenn

I'd watch her pee in a cup.

July 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. oldlarry

C'mon. All guys and chicks who are batting for the other team would like to see her with her shirt off. She is hot.

July 10, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |