July 10th, 2012

Mash-up: Gators, gizmos, gov't surplus

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

The Panterragaff. It's not your father's Huffy.

Want to ride a 12-legged walking bicycle?

Award-winning CNN iReporter Percy von Lipinski, a freelance videographer in Vancouver, British Columbia, filed a fun video report from the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire, a quirky convention devoted to do-it-yourself art projects. He got to try out the Panterragaff, a 12-legged, two-person walking bicycle, and was especially amused by one particular interest group.

"So when I heard that there was going to be the world's first and only Panterragaff at the same location as the Knot Tying Association, I just knew I had to attend," Lipinski said. "And was I glad I did. I spent the day there looking over some of the craziest concoctions that I could have ever imagined."

Lipinski brought some of his film and video students from the Pacific Audio-Visual Institute to help with camera work.

Crowning moment

The Olympic Torch arrives at London's Windsor Castle on Tuesday, and guess who's at the door to welcome it?

Teen loses arm but saves himself from alligator

A Florida teenager lost part of his arm in an alligator attack on Monday, but the boy's family says 17-year-old Kaleb "Fred" Langdale made a smart move that saved his life.

Langdale's sister, Rebecca, told the Fort Myers News Press:

When he turned to swim, it grabbed his arm. And he knew once it grabbed his arm, he was going to lose it. So he put both his feet on the alligator's head and pushed and pretty much took his own arm off before the alligator could.

The Navy guided-missile cruiser USS Long Beach fires a missile in 1961.

What am I bid for this guided-missile cruiser?

The Defense Department is auctioning off the USS Long Beach, a guided-missile cruiser the Navy no longer needs. But don't expect to start your own navy; it's being sold for the scrap metal, CNN affiliate KPHO reports. That's a lot of scrap metal.

The Long Beach was launched in 1959 and decommissioned in 1995. The auction is being conducted by a Scottsdale, Arizona, company called Government Liquidation.

On the horizon: Health care repeal vote

The U.S. House of Representatives has scheduled a vote Wednesday to repeal the Affordable Care Act, the health-care reform law that is President Barack Obama's top legislative achievement. The Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of most of the law June 28. If the repeal is approved in the House, it is unlikely to survive the Senate, and Obama certainly would veto it.

July 11 anniversaries

1804: Vice President Aaron Burr shoots Alexander Hamilton, the nation's first Treasury secretary, in a duel in Weehawken, New Jersey; Hamilton dies the next day.

1914: George "Babe" Ruth makes his major-league baseball debut with the Boston Red Sox.

1995: Serbian troops overrun the United Nations safe zone of Srebrenica, Bosnia; more than 8,000 die in the following days, mainly Muslim men and boys.

2006: Several bombs are detonate on commuter trains in Mumbai, India, killing more than 180 people.

July 11 birthdays

• Actor/singer/author Tab Hunter, 81
  • Fashion designer Giorgio Armani, 76
  • Singer Deborah Harry, 67
  • Actress Sela Ward, 56
  • Musician Richie Sambora, 53
  • Rap artist Lil' Kim, 37
  1. Jj's Obama trauma

Am I blind? I don't see anything in this article about a govt surplus...

July 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Puhleeze

That's because there hasn't been one since Bush got rid of Clinton's surplus to make himself look good. Oh, yeah, then those pesky little wars that Bush never intended to pay for. Oh yeah, oh yeah. You're blind. About as subtle as a battering ram, too.

July 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeremy

Jj obama trauma, the surplus would be the extra naval ship i believe.

July 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Clinton only had a surplus b/c the US came out from under international bankruptcy protection as he took office.
    And just so you know, the Clinton years were the bloodiest years in US history in terms of american lives lost to war.(with about 3 hundred armed conflicts each year of his presidency)
    George W. Bush would have easily surpassed Clinton as being the sitting president when most americans lost their lives to war, but many of Bush's "troops" were paid militia, not official citizens nor teoops. That, and Bush was forced to admit that 9/11 was a crime, NOT an act of war. (insurance does not pay for damages done during wars)

July 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. raven

All sarcasm aside philip, are YOU saying it wasn't an act of war? I understand the point youre making, but I think it could certainly be considered BOTH: crime AND an act of war. Trying to label it one or the other is semantics. If one could get insurance for one but not the other, why NOT claim it? And remember, I said all sarcasm aside( and I included myself.)

July 10, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Obama Mama

Raven-Howdy stranger to the blogs, it seems like eones since you were last here.

July 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Hey, OM...and howdy back! Its been a while but I can never stay away from my blog pals for too long. Hope youre well!

July 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I am well and since the 10 day over 100 degrees is over it is even comfortable. Hope all is well in ravens part of the country? Election season is here. Wooooooohoooooooo! And so it begins.

July 10, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Sos!
      What's up?
      I heard our favorite SMB song today and laughed like a loon...Paul was like, "what?" So I had to sing a few bars of our version...

July 10, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Piers Morgan, Supervillain

"bombs are detonate" Great typing there, Daphne, or Jim. And kudos to the editor who missed it.
    that's reminds me to something.... i can haz cheezburger?

July 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MMM

International bankruptcy protection? There is no such thing. Can you refer us to a credible source?

July 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

There is no such thing as internation bankruptcy protection. Clinton balanced the freaking budget and actually had a surplus. Some people let their hatred for Clinton and his pecadillos cloud what a good president he was. Shame, really.

July 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |