Teen uses 'Swamp Men' move to save self from alligator
Trappers pull an alligator from the water after a Florida teen lost an arm to a gator in an attack Monday.
July 10th, 2012

Teen uses 'Swamp Men' move to save self from alligator

A Florida teenager lost part of his arm in an alligator attack on Monday, but the boy's family says the outcome could have been worse if the 17-year-old hadn't been a fan of the National Geographic show "Swamp Men."

Kaleb "Fred" Langdale was swimming with friends in in the Caloosahatchee River in Moore Haven in southwest Florida when an 11-foot alligator attacked, according to a report from CNN affliate WINK-TV.

"As soon as he'd seen Fred, the gator was coming after him. On top of the water, as fast as he could pedal, his tail was wagging back and forth, he was coming," Langdale's friend Gary Beck told WINK.

That's when the teen's TV gator knowledge kicked in, his sister, Rebecca Langdale, said in an interview with the Fort Myers News Press.

Rebecca, who visited her brother in the hospital, said he told her that as the alligator approached him he grabbed the skin under the animal's mouth to try to prevent it from biting him.

After preventing the initial attack, Fred tried to swim away from the gator, Rebecca Langdale said.

"When he turned to swim, it grabbed his arm," she said. "And he knew once it grabbed his arm, he was going to lose it."

"So he put both his feet on the alligator's head and pushed and pretty much took his own arm off before the alligator could," Rebecca said.

Langdale's aunt, LaDawn Hayes, said Fred learned the move from watching "Swamp Men," according to the News-Press.

"He knows if he offers (the gator) his arm, he won't take his torso. He was smart, he took the risk," another of Fred's friends, Matthew Baker, told WINK.

Beck told CNN affiliate WBBH that after freeing himself from the gator, Langdale called for help.

"He was waving saying, 'Call the paramedics! My arm is gone!'" WBBH quoted Beck as saying.

The gator was later caught and killed by trappers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The boy's arm was recovered, according to reports, but the doctors were unable to reattach it.

Glades County Sheriff Stuart Whiddon told WINK that gator attacks are rare in the area, but fish and wildlife officials said this is an active time of year for the reptiles.

"It's just after mating season, eggs are already laid, but the gators are still very active," WINK quoted Jeff Ardelean as saying. "Any type of commotion on the water is potential food in their eyes."

Post by:
Filed under: Alligators • Animals • Florida
  1. AlkaSeltzaaaa!

Im not balls to the walls animal rights guy but why do they always have to kill the animal. Its just being an animal.

July 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Because it's just an animal.

July 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Antonio

HEADLINES....

"Boy jumps in water to give gator his arm...boy accomplishes his Florida dream!"

July 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MarkinFL

Wow, so many ignorant people that believe they know something. Seems to come with the condition.

July 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • addressingstupidignorantpeople

Right.

July 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Look at me

It is easy to know not to swim with Alligators. One need only have gone to 2nd or 3rd grade or watched a few movies to have a good idea that Alligators are predators that can eat animals as large or large than themselves. I venture to say that if I never ever heard of Alligators that just seeing one would make me think it was not a good idea to get near it or jump in dark water where I saw more of them swimming.

July 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slowgun

MarkinFL,

You keep trying to make us look like the dumb ones here. And you keep saying how we don't know gator behavior.

From the article;

So who is it that doesn't know gator behavior?

Me, who knows not to go swimming with gators?
      Or the boys who go swimming with gators during a time when "Any type of commotion on the water is potential food in their eyes."?

July 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Look at me

Watch this boys, I aint fraid of no gator. I will shove my arm down his throat and make him choke on it because I am smarter, tougher and I am special, just like the teacher said when she sent me to that special class.

July 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rhenry

Hey Alka.......stop hiding behind the computer and come on down to Florida with that big pie hole you call a mouth. Isnt it time you go feed your 25 cats? You P*$$y

July 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nick

MarkinFL

I was rolling on the floor when i read that the local neighborhood watch would take you out sooner!!! That was GREAT!!! I am still laughing.

July 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nisroc00

I love how we humans kill a creature that attacks us when it is we invade its habitat, yet the creature has done nothing wrong other then hunt food for its own survival. Now I'm sorry about the Boy who lost his arm and I'm sorry about the Canadian cross country skier that died by a mountain lion but we humans cannot kill these animals when they attack as it will not prevent then next gator or mountain lion from attacking the next human that steps foot in their territory unless we kill them all.

July 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • puckles

We ARE Killing them all.

July 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike Buck

July 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slowgun

"Swamp Men, Swamp People, My Redneck Wedding, My Redneck Vacation...What ever happened to the Beverly Hillbillies?"

I hear ya...sucks how the Tea Part has taken over doesn't it.

July 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steve

sounds like the teen has brick for brains

July 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

I'll bet those bricks work better than your's would have under the same conditions.

July 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

i would never be in the same condition...i am smart enough to know not to go swimming with alligators.

July 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Look at me

Florida people are not dumb but like anywhere there are dumb people in Florida as evidence by this teenager. I am sure many thousands of Floridians each day make the decision not to swim in Alligator swamp, ponds, rivers, drainage pools but instead decide to go to swimming pool in yard, neighbors, school, club or park.

July 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

10's of thousands swim in natural fresh water on a regular basis and there are maybe 8 to 10 bites a year on average. And most of those involve an unsafe behavior on the part of the victim or someone that fed or molested a gator prior. There is some risk, like swimming in the ocean or entering a forest.

July 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jean

I am shocked by the insensitivity of most of these comments. Thousands of people swim in rivers in Florida with absolutely no problem- he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and should not be mocked and degraded because of it. If one of your friends ever does anything you deem "stupid," I sure hope you wouldn't treat them this way.

July 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nick

people alligators haven't lived thousands of years just because, Alka is right they do what their instincts tell them. My money is on that is was a female gator with a nest near by like the article said and that mean Beech was hungry. If you are from florida you know that any gator of any size if it has any human contact it is destroyed. Once it loses that fear it will attack you just because you are easy prey. Bottom line is, no the kid shouldn't have been swimming or doing whatever he was in the river. But he was and he knew the chance he was taking by getting in the water. Luckily for him he was very lucky by doing what he did and survived. But i would like to know and am sure there was a sweep done by wildlife management to check for a nest. I bet there was.

July 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. puckles

These TOTAL LOSERS should not have been swimming in this area to begin with. Who cares if he lost his arm? Who cares if he died? It would mean one less STUPID person on the earth. I am glad he lost his arm. Maybe this will teach him a lesson. I am sure they killed the alligator too, which is a total joke.

July 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

Wow, galloping ignorance. All in one post. I would not be you for all the money in the world.

July 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Steve C.

There is no excuse for "stupid". But rednecks from Florida deserve their own name, "Floridupid".

The sign says, "Water is contaminated"...no problem...the Floridupid said, "we wore swimm'n shorts".

July 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve C.

How to make a fool of a redneck from Florida...."you don't have too".

July 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Deedz

Unfortunately, this boy will have learned nothing from this experience, already being so ignorant to going swimming in murky waters where the GATORS live..... there is no cure for ignorance, which by the way begins at home with his ignorant parents. Very sad for the alligator who was hunting for food to feed his family. You idiots! You think that by killing him the other gators will have learned their lessons?

July 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • SnakepitDave

Troll! LOL. You don't have a life so you try to make others feel bad when it is your own miserable existence you hate. Do us taxpayers a favor and take yourself out preferably without harming others.

July 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • puckles

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve C.

LOL

July 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

The gator was just trying to help clean the human gene pool.

July 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |