July 10th, 2012

Tuesday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

10:00 am ET - Health care reform impact hearing - With the House scheduled to vote tomorrow on whether to repeal President Obama's health care reform law, lawmakers will be busy debating the matter today.  This hearing will focus on how the law has impacted doctors and patients.

12:35 pm ET - Romney town hall - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney is back on the campaign trail today.  He will address supporters at a town hall-style meeting in Grand Junction, Colorado.

1:50 pm ET - Obama talks economy - President Obama is also on the campaign trail this afternoon.  He'll address tax relief and the deficit at a community college in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

3:00 pm ET - Biden at Latino convention - Vice President Joe Biden is spending part of his day in Las Vegas, where he'll be addressing the La Raza Convention.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • Health • Health Care • Health care reform • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Philip

Supreme Court justices abstain from voting on certain cases. In fact, most cases brought before the SC aren't even heard, with every single justice abstaining.
    Just because someone abstains from voting for the less of two evils does not mean that one has no say on the matter.
    ...and "get a clue". Reagan was a lifelong democrat who was flip-flopped (got and groomed by the GOP) to be a republican governor.

July 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Mama:
    A nod to the Stones.
    Nice.

Jj:
    Sorry, my friend.
    I really couldn't resist...

July 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jj's Obama trauma

ok banz you got me. You folks see those two politicians go at it in the mid east somewhere? They were debating something and one of em pulled a flippin pistol! On that note I'm thankful I live in a country where I don't have to worry about that sort of nonsense. I don't have to worry about Obama mama shankin me in the back. Lol. God bless America!

July 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

@Jj-nope, but I do tuss a mean turkey.lol

July 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Jj:
      Or you shanking her...lol...
      Words and diplomacy should always prevail over a gun...but that just goes to show how heated these arguments get!
      Bless America, where we can actually *do* this without fear of being shanked...

(A shank? That just cracked me up! 🙂 )

July 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Mama:
    I agree with your dog in the fight analogy...

Philip:
    They abstain on certain matters, not all matters.
    All of our lawmakers abstain on certain matters, not on all matters; from our local councils right up to the SCOTUS.

*This is NOT meant for Philip*

A person who abstains from voting can talk the talk, but in the end, they fail to walk the walk...and when they have done so their entire lives, I hold very little credence in anything they say, for they come off as somewhat hypocritical.
    My neighbor, for instance: she kvetches about our county assessor, but won't go out to cast a vote against him...I've even offered to drive.
    What does one do with a person like that?
    Ignore her tirades, for one thing...

July 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Yes, Paul flip-flopped from Jewry to Christianity as all who followed Jesus did in fact do.
    Ronnie Raygun, however, did NOT flip-flop. He was flip-flopped by the GOP looking for a man who could at least act like an avg. American man. And back then, the avg. American man was well respected and looked-up to by foreing peoples. I myself enjoyed this standing as an American man working the worlds oilfields for many years.
    Now, just about any man will do. Our foreign reputation is shot, and take a look at the avg. American Wal-Mart shopper man.

July 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Obama Mama

@philip-You also know I think he was killed by the religion of the time and politics, he was baptising and causing a stir on a roman or religious holiday. He also was becoming powerful in numbers that followed him, threatening the elite.

July 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

The GOP would have rather had John Wayne to work with. But by that time, The Duke was too old and fat to represent the American man image as set forth in The American Dream.
    Nowadays, the only "real" reason a world travelling oilfield worker might want to shed a few pounds before going overseas is to make for a smaller target for some anti-US involvement whacko.

July 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Obama Mama

You also know I do not shop at Walmart. lol Walmart free since 2003!

July 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Wal-Mart sux.
      Last time I was in that store was probably 10 years ago...if not longer.
      My daughter and I passed one and she said, "didn't it used to be blue"?
      I said, "I don't know, don't care; do you?"
      "Nope."

July 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dazzle ©

I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart since 1999 for multiple reasons but Target is a different story. I actually found workout gear there made in the USA..

July 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Obama Mama

Hello Dazzle- That is what I look for these days. USA, USA.

July 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@OM, formerly @Scottish Mama, yes? I do the same and found great stuff in the teen department there by Juicy. Really good quality and I wear them constantly.

July 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

@dazzle-shhhhhh-be very, very quiet.lol yeah it is me.lol Scottish- No suprise there ehh.

July 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

I was speaking of your average American shopper, and used Wal-Mart shoppers as one of many examples. (comparing them to shoppers back in the 70s and 80s before Congress flip-flopped on Meat and Dairy corporations using drugs to make fatter cows and, as ALL studies showed (and as passing time revealed) made fat cows out of US!
    And this was to show how easy it is for a man to be groomed-into what appears to be your average American man, mind and body. Look how well groomed G. W. Bush was. Watch video of him when he was 30 and compare to his image as president, for one example.

July 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

I think it may be the steroids in the meat, cows and in the milk. I also think they need to look into the steroids as a source for autism. Steroids do effect the brain.

July 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

I found where the local communists hide their "War Vet. Please Help. God Bless"sign they also share along with communing in trailer parks. (They keep it stashed behind the Sam's Choice soda pop machine)
    After spending the last of their disabilty pay on booze and drugs, they take shifts 'signing' for cash. They get free grub at Catholic charities. No cash though, thanfully.

July 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

You just made me think of the series "Earl".lol

July 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

"My Name Is Earl"!
      Lmao!

July 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Yep, I try to buy American, as well.
    Not a giant fan of Target, (or Tar-jáy, if we're feeling silly),
    Agree with the food hormones and anti-biotics.
    Bad news for everyone...

July 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

@Obama Mama. That's all been looked into. For years. Here are some helpful websites that will show this to you:

July 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama Mama

@banasy- Good memory. Maybe I have drank too much milk. All that could hurt a developing brain. China trying to dumb us down or experiment with us?
      @philip – Thank you. I went there and it also had some info on gluten.

July 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Obama Mama

@banasy if they have checked the vaccines for the alergy of it. I think the milk is even more logical. Or the baby formula that they make in china. I have forgotten what they found in it, plastic?

July 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I seem to remember mercury, Mama, or perhaps lead...the Chinese are famous for their importing products containing lead for out kids to chew on...remember when McDonald's got all of that bad publicity for giving out toys that contained lead?

July 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Oopsy, http://www.truthinlabeling.org, a website that has raised some 25 million dollars to lobby Congress back to where they were before the Meat and Dairy Farmers Association bribed, errrr, lobby'd congress into making steroid and hormone cows legal.

July 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |