July 12th, 2012

Police to reopen Detroit-Windsor tunnel closed after bomb threat

[Updated at 5:15 p.m. ET] The major tunnel between Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit was scheduled to reopen at 5 p.m. ET Thursday following a shutdown because of a bomb threat, Windsor police said.

Police "fully inspected" the tunnel before reopening it, Windsor authorities said.

The bomb threat led to traffic backups as drivers on both sides of the border were rerouted.

Employees at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel received an anonymous phone call around 12:30 p.m. from someone saying there was a bomb in the tunnel, Sgt. Matthew D'Asti with Windsor police told HLN.

Authorities were working together on both sides of the border to investigate and search the tunnel for any possible device, D'Asti said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Michigan
  1. PEDO BEAR

Did they find the Snickers Bar?

July 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

It'll cause problems?
    Ya think??

July 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pas Typique

It's nice that you can all make light of this situation but some of us actually use the tunnel and bridge to go back and forth to home and work. Since there are only two options, any disruption at one becomes a nightmare at the other. And no, I'm not a Canadian.

July 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • troy

SO YOU LIVE IN US AND WORK IN CANADA ?
      AND YES I AM CANADIAN !!!!
      TYPICAL US NEWS, BLOW IT ALL OTTA PROPORTION TO GET MORE VIEWERS, UNREAL.........

July 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Becky D

I think if I were in charge, I would be having people checking the bridge for bombs if this is going to be the only other way back and forth. What was that movie where they wanted all the police and officials at one certain location so they called in a bomb threat to a school so they could rob someplace else. Maybe this could be similar, if it's not a hoax, only they want to get everyone to one certain location and they have everyone focused on the tunnel.

July 12, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Becky D

I think if I were in charge, I would be having people check the bridge for bombs if this is going to be the only other way back and forth. What was that movie where they wanted all the police and officials at one certain location so they called in a bomb threat to this school so they could rob someplace else. Maybe this could be similar, if it's not a hoax, only they want to get everyone to this other location(the bridge) and then have everyone focused on the tunnel.

(Sorry for the typos!)

July 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. troy

Why is it that our local news in windsor are calling it a police investigation, no mention about a bomb !!!!
    Is this cnn blowing it all outta proportion once AGAIN !!!!!

July 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. troy

YEAH I KNOW THERE WAS SOME SORT OF SCARE, LOCAL NEWS CALLS IT INVESTIGATION, NOT A BOMB SCARE AS CNN SAYS

July 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Becky D

Fortunately I was not there to know Pas. I had only ready about it. Hopefully it was only a hoax. Didn't this just happen today at 12:30?

July 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Yup

It was probably nothing, thank god no one got hurt..

July 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dazzle ©

Note to my troll of 2:37, at least you used proper grammar and punctuation. Ya'll is not part of my lexicon.

July 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sam the man

A terrorist attack eradicates Detroit? Win-win: Good reason to keep slaying terrorists, and Michigan balances their budget with 600,000 fewer welfare recipients.

July 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Greek American

It was a bomb threat from the beginning, so CNN is correct. The local news here in Detroit reports that someone used a pay-phone on the Canadian side just outside the Duty Free store and said there was a bomb in the tunnel that was going to explode. The news reported they have dusted the phone booth for fingerprints. That was the last I heard today.

July 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

A pay phone, eh. Who uses pay phones any more? I'll bet there's only one set of prints on that thing.

July 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. little mister

I would have been really scared if this happened to me. At least I had today off from work and didn't have to go this way.

July 13, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kenny Rogers

little mister, glad you are ok my little bud.

July 13, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Cnn, may I ask why my trolls and hijackers are still up?
    This person made it it's mission to drive certain people off your boards, and you do a great disservice to the people whose names you continue to steal.
    I am in blue.
    I will always be in blue.
    Please get rid iof the troll who is using my name and posing as my "cousin".
    Thank you.