Gotta Watch: Up-close shark encounters
An 18-foot great white shark appears off the coast of Sydney.
July 12th, 2012

Gotta Watch: Up-close shark encounters

Forget “Jaws.” We’ve seen all sorts of real-life shark encounters in the last few weeks. Whether people are fishing, diving, or kayaking, sharks seem to be showing up everywhere. You’ve Gotta Watch these incredible videos. Have you ever had a close call with a shark? Let us know in the comments below.

Swimming with a shark

Two friends who were spearfishing off the coast of Australia got a nasty surprise when a great white shark came between them and their boat. The tense moments were caught on one diver’s helmet cam.

Dinner time

Fishers in South Carolina and Australia both had sharks appear out of nowhere to snatch a fish off their lines. It's hard to say what's better: the footage of the sharks or the reaction from the people fishing.

Shark week

Multiple sightings of great white sharks off Cape Cod have visitors worried. See the incredible shots of a great white shark stalking a kayaker and hear experts' take on what's drawing the sharks to the Cape.

Rocking the boat

Fishermen in Sydney captured unbelievable video of an 18-foot great white biting the smaller blue shark that was on their line. Would you be able to hold the camera steady as long as they did?

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Gotta Watch • Sharks
  1. chrissy

The theme of your comment??? Hmmm no one talked of hippos except you, for one thing, and secondly nearly every post you make you are insulting people, women in particular! Now i know your smart enough to figure out what kinda picture that paints!

July 13, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. dennis

The Kayaker was stalked by a harmless basking shark not a great white.

July 13, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Katelyn

Dennis, Actually it has been verified as a Great White Shark, not a basking shark. White sharks have been coming to the Cape for a few years now, and if you weren't aware before, basking sharks look MUCH different thank Great Whites do. FYI.

July 13, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Katelyn

Also...if somethign is harmless, it generally doesn't "stalk."

July 13, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin Clark

Oh let me guess you could tell by the fin?

July 13, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin Clark

I think it was a sword fish by the looks of the fin.

July 13, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Dr Skomal the area shark expert who is running the tagging operation has said he thinks it was likely a basking shark by the dorsal fin shape. There are a fair number of basking sharks on the Cape now too. There is a video of a 14 foot basking shark almost getting beached about two weeks ago. Basking sharks eat plankton and cruise the surface, whites hunt from below and ambush their prey. Look up the stories on the local paper, the Boston Globe.

July 13, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • fat and lazy

who cares

July 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

lol ty Dennis, and it most certainly wasnt a hippo then right? lol

July 13, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. shrinktofit

I've been reef diving since I was a young lad, seeing sharks has become routine. I don't ignore them, rather I respect them and leave them alone – unless one comes too close, then I poke it on the nose. Staying aware of the surrounding area means not diving when the visibility is short. When visibility is good, watching them feed can be exhilarating. Sharks are no more monsters than I am, but respecting sharks includes accepting that I'm the interloper in their neighborhood behave accordingly.

July 13, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

@ Shrinktofit, so true! As a nature buff myself one thing i learned is to respect ALL wildlife!

July 13, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. skeptik2

I was doing laps about 100yds parallel to the Fire Island shore at low tide in the PM. When I swam back in I noticed everyone was on shore watching me. I thought someone had drowned and checked with the lifeguard. He said they cleared the water when they saw shark fins out where I was swimming. I said BS and that I felt and saw nothing out there. Then I turned around and looked out where I was swimming and there were two 14 foot sharks cruising back and forth in the water. Some ultra-stupid kid on a surfboard paddled out to the area. One of the sharks upended his board. He managed to climb back on and paddled like hell to shore. We thought he was going to be out of the gene pool. The Coast Guard copter arived and the corpsmen began shooting at the sharks with rifles till they vanished.
    The movie Jaws was released about three months later. I never saw it then or since.

July 13, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steve

July 13, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • sdcanyon

Stop repeating your useless info

July 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

@ IAN, hippo is how philip describes women, just in case you arent familier with his rants. Particularly on obesity.

July 13, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. fat and lazy

when there is no other news, there's always SHARK ATTACKS!

July 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hippo

Leave me alone!

July 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Love Rhino

i want to stalk the broad in red at the news station

July 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lila

I scuba dive and have seen sharks, they are beautiful animals. I think the shark experts said that was a harmless basking shark at the Cape. Great whites don't stalk, they are ambush hunters. They come out of nowhere like a missile and hit their prey when they hunt. The boys in Australia attracted a curious great white because they were spearfishing. Again, if the shark wanted to eat them, they wouldn't see it coming.

July 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wesley Wallace

To the guys discussing which animal is responsible for most human deaths every year, it's probably the malaria parasite.

July 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denzig

My guess is that humans are the animal most responsible for killing humans

July 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Wesley Wallace

*its

July 13, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. IrishPeach

Ask Rodney Fox how Great Whites attack! He was spearfishing in the 60s when he was AMBUSHED!!! He says he never saw it coming.

July 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |