July 13th, 2012

Brokerage's founder arrested after fraud allegations

The founder of futures brokerage Peregrine Financial Group, which filed for bankruptcy protection after regulators said more than $200 million went missing from the firm, has been arrested and charged with making and using false statements, authorities said Friday.

Russell Wasendorf Sr. was arrested Friday by FBI agents and is due to make an initial appearance in federal court in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on Friday afternoon, the U.S. Justice Department said.

Peregrine filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday after Wasendorf Sr. attempted suicide amid allegations of fraud, CNNMoney reported Wednesday.

The Commodities Futures Trading Commission filed a complaint against Peregrine on Tuesday, accusing the firm and Wasendorf Sr. of committing fraud by misappropriating funds and falsifying bank records.

Friday's charges allege that, from 2010 through July 2012, Wasendorf made false statements to the commission regarding the value of customer segregated funds held by Peregrine, the Justice Department said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Courts • Crime • Justice
  1. Cindy

Some people never learn.

July 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Obama Mama

Who put their hand in the cookie jar, who me sir, not me sir , than who sir?

July 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

yah gotta blame the next person...lol

July 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Wonder how bad of a slap on the wrist this guys going to get?
      And where is the money?

July 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

He'll just get a slap on the wrist. Tell me again, who's really running this country.

July 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

Well it's the inmates from the insane asylum. It's sure not the folks like us who can think clearly.

July 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah)-how are you? I am glad we are in agreement on this. My daughter is here with me we are enjoying end of the day pool time.When I told her I was responding to a post of yours, she said to send you a gigantic cyber hug and kiss. You cool cat, you made quite the impression.

July 13, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle©

I am doing pretty well right now. And you ? Tell that daughter of yours there is a big fat cyber hug and kiss flying right back at her. I hope the impression I made was a good one.

July 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah), I'm well here, thanks. You bet you made a good impression, Tori thinks of you as a "second father." @banasy is the "second mother." LOL, that child. We are still hanging by our pool watching the sunset.

July 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Rawr, whoda thunk we'd be parents again at our age? O.o
      Lmao...
      Quite the honor, if you ask me!

July 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • phunk

And here is exactly what I was talking about on another article. If you folks want to have a conversation, please go on a private blog, a chat room, or email. This is a blog to comment on the news article, nobody else cares to hear about your weekends, your pools, you jokes. You people make me so angry. You have ruined this news blog and I hope it gets shut down. Oh no, what will dazzle, chrissy, banasy do then?? Maybe go back to working at the rennaisance faire or something. You all should have known you were witnessing the sunset when you started putting copyrights on your names. Losers. Go away and let us actually have and read a discussion about the article.

July 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle ©

Well I have to say I am truly honored by that pronouncement. And that pool sure does sound good right now.

July 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Three guys were fishing in a lake one day, when an angel appeared in the boat.

When the three astonished men had settled down enough to speak, the first guy asked the angel humbly, "I've suffered from back pain ever since I took shrapnel in the Vietnam War ... Could you help me?"

"Of course," the angel said, and when he touched the man's back, the man felt relief for the first time in years.

The second guy who wore very thick glasses and had a hard time reading and driving. He asked if the angel could do anything about his poor eyesight. The angel smiled, removed the man's glasses and tossed them into the lake. When they hit the water, the man's eyes cleared and he could see everything distinctly.

When the angel turned to the third guy, the guy put his hands out defensively - "Don't touch me!" he cried, "I'm on a disability pension."

July 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

A hunter visited another hunter and was given a tour of his home. Ibn the den was a stuffed lion. The visiting hunter asked, "when did you bag him?"

The host said, "that was three years ago, when I went hunting with my wife."

"What's he stuffed with," asked the visiting hunter.

"My wife."

July 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

Father Murphy walks into a pub in Donegal, and says to the first man he meets, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

The man said, "I do Father."

The priest said, "Then stand over there against the wall."

Then the priest asked the second man, "Do you want to got to heaven?"

"Certainly, Father," was the man's reply.

"Then stand over there against the wall," said the priest.

Then Father Murphy walked up to O'Toole and said, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole said, "No, I don't Father."

The priest said, "I don't believe this. You mean to tell me that when you die you don't want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole said, "Oh, when I die, yes. I thought you were getting a group together to go right now."

July 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Obama Mama

And they want us to privitize Social security? palease.....crooks
    What would happen if a Madoff got a hold on your money and who pays then? Are the elderly just SOL

July 14, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • phunk

Wow, the FIRST comment I have read on here actually related to the article. What a concept huh?????? Thank you Obama Mama, much appreciated.

July 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jerry

It was reported the suicide note states the ~$100m in customer money was used to cover losses and pay fines. It would be trivial to "claw back" any and all fines and apply them to customer accounts. The government states they issue fines to punish the wrongdoers, but if those fines harm customers themselves their very purpose is bad. There needs to be an immediate process on any examples of customer fund fraud to look first to claw backs of federal and state fines to make them whole. Maybe even rank them by income or account size since the government just loves progressive systems. It should work both ways.

July 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Latuf Tak

Oops, here goes another "job creator" – hope he rots in prison for a long time.

September 18, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |