July 16th, 2012

Shell Oil ship slips anchor; incident raises questions about Arctic drilling plan

(CNN) - One of the ships that Shell Oil plans to use to drill in the Arctic slipped its mooring and drifted close to one of Alaska's Aleutian Islands, the latest in a string of incidents to arise around the controversial project.

The Noble Discoverer was about 175 yards from shore in Unalaska Bay when it slipped its mooring Saturday and drifted towards shore near Dutch Harbor, Coast Guard Petty Officer Sara Francis said.

"There are no reports of injuries, pollution and damage to the Noble Discoverer," she said Sunday night.

The incident raised concerns of a possible grounding near Dutch Harbor, though Francis said there was "no damage to the hull or evidence it ran aground."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Rascal Rabble

great nothing happens...only a matter of time...

July 16, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. HIDE BEHIND

Only a matter of time, and afterwards come the reslization that "SO WHAT, THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO WHEN IT ARRIVES."

July 16, 2012 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. drap

Shelly sells sea shells by the sea shore... .

July 16, 2012 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. HIDE BEHIND

In the interest of progress and profits the last great river is soon to become another sewer outlet to the sea, the Columbia River.
    Within 5years some 700 million tonness of coal will be loaded aboard ships headed to China yearly, and that is just the early stages.

Hanfords radioactive water table is expected to reach Columbia within same time frame and plans are still afoot to build multiple Liguid Petroleum plants along oits lower reaches

July 16, 2012 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Hope

Hide...

Is nothing sacred?

I shall build a 'sancuary' to God and when
      He speaks, I shall listen. Teach me, Jehovah,
      Your ways... patience and long suffering.
      Wipe the tears from my eyes that I shall
      cry no more. Build your tent around me
      that I can live as an alien in the world we
      have come to inherit and bless me with
      Your undying love that I can be free of
      the hatred that surrounds me. Cast it
      all away, the ones that bind my heart
      as I, too, grew fond of the sons of men.
      Behold me, Your faithful servant, and sooth
      my aching heart.

July 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fernace

1 in a string of incidents? Hmmm I think Gaia is trying to tell us something.......

July 16, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Portland tony

Ships drag their anchors all the time. A case of poor seamanship. Note the ship was not drilling nor was it endangering the local environment. CNN's headline was a little misleading.

July 16, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. HIDE BEHIND

Studies of workplace injurys points to tje fact that for every actual incident there are three nearly harmfull previously, so that in truth there very few "accidents", but problems in the workplace; causes for harm are not accidental or unforseen incidents and could of been prevented.
    Such is the case with the energy giants and pygmy infrastructure firms, the only time or real concern for himan harm is for a few of its own people.
    That nations far from their consumets get despoiled or groups of poor indigenous or minor racial types pay for the accidents at no cost to them personally means the earth pays for their sloppy work ethics.

July 16, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. phunk

Just imagine what we could come up with if Shell, BP, Conoco-Phillips and the rest spent as much time and money as they spend lobbying to drill in pristine areas to come up with alternative energy sources instead...

July 16, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

the lobbyists and their monies should be thrown out of d c they are like termites...you don't see the damage until the entire infastructure has been hulled...time for reforms...and regulation...disappointed that repeatly the justice depart does not enforce its swored mission to protect american assests, its integrity, its laws...how can you issue an executive order to NOT enforce the federal statutes of this great nation...and the senators and reps stand down like muted dogs...how can one abrogate the powers of its office and yet still hold
      office? can anyone of you choose not to work and still keep your job? can any of you get paid for not doing any work?

July 16, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Hope

Listen to your heart.

We've been bush-wacked by these oil companies like slaves, far too long. I've grown tired of my own government who speaks out of both sides of its mouth with twisted words detrimental to it's own people who are too busy trying to make ends meet, distracted by the evil ones who keep us powerless, even to protect our own. Cursed is the man who blinds himself.

Bless Yourselves!