Stephen Covey, author of 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,' dead at 79
July 16th, 2012

Stephen Covey, author of 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People,' dead at 79

Author Stephen Covey, whose "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" sold more than 20 million copies, died Monday at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 79.

Covey's family issued a statement, reported by CNN affiliate KSL, saying he died from residual effects of an April bicycle accident.

"In his final hours, he was surrounded by his loving wife and each one (of) his children and their spouses, just as he always wanted," the statement said, according to KSL.

Covey was "one of the world's foremost leadership authorities, organizational experts and thought leaders," according to a biography posted on the website of his 2011 book, "The 3rd Alternative."

Other best-sellers by Covey include "First Things First," "Principle-Centered Leadership," and "The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness," according to the biography.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Name*reel

Adieu sir.. You in a better place!

July 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kenneth

Wot a great loss. He certainly has greatly affected his world. The influence of his life and books will outlive his generation. I never met him,but was deeply challenged and influenced by him.

July 16, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Name*reel

Adieu sir.. You fullfilled purpose! You're in a better place..RIP

July 16, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I agree, and people's perception of heaven OR hell has nothing to do with the term RIP, except by the atheist author of the post.
    Matter of fact, atheism has nothing to do with this man's passing, either.

RIP, Mr. Covey.

July 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. HIDE BEHIND

The man lived and then died; I'm between those events. he served both his own needs and tried to help others fill their own,ending life on the plus side of being loved and respected an eartly reward Oyher worlds. phases, dimensions' enlightment or nothingness;
    only one way to know for sure, join him.

July 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

To say "rest in peace" when you are really of the opinion that the person isn't resting, is misleading and disengenuous. If you believe the person to be enjoying heavenly life, say so! If burning in hell, speak it. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.

July 16, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MarHaj

Condolences from Czech Republic.
    And many thanks to Stephen for what he has done for all of us, for the whole human race.
    Rest in peace, Stephen.

July 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Really, I think people are just too embarrassed to admit they believe in a burning hell where some go immediatelty after death. I think it has something to do with lack of evidence and that all who claim to have died and then came back to life, describe a happy place. Not one describes a burning hell.

July 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Really, I think one is over analyzing a simple expression of sympathy.

July 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Rest in peace is an expression of sympathy to those people who have empathy and sympathy for their fellow human being.
    If one does not HAVE said empathy, one should say nothing, and let others express their sympathy in the manner they so choose.
    If one truly thinks that Mr. Covey should burn, one should just say that, get it over with, and move on.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Covey.
    You will be remembered.

July 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HIDE BEHIND

Should one feel pity or respect towards those self made men and women who only worship their creators?

July 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Philip, my name is banasy, and you have no clue what I believe.
    You are also Catholic, so your point is absurd.
    I was only baptized Catholic.
    You are also aware that some of my family members died during WWII, yet take a devilish delight in throwing that in my face every chance you get.

Rest in peace, Mr. Covey.

July 16, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Isnt it showing respect? No wonder HE doesnt agree! RIP Steve.

July 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. HIDE BEHIND

If you wait until someone is already dead, to pay your respects, then you missed the ride of life he or they were taking.

July 16, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I agree, but that's not what I'm getting at.

July 16, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

@ HIDE BEHIND, i try to be respectful to everyone until they disrespect me! And then they must EARN my respect. If they continue to be disrespectful well.....lets just say, its on and poppin then! One specific person here comes to mind rather quick!

July 16, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

WHAT i said, Simon, is i TRY to always show everyone respect UNTIL they disrespect me. THEN they have to earn my respect. If you cant understand that im sorry. When someone repeatedly disrespects me how do YOU think i should react?

July 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |