Victim of flesh-eating bacteria goes home
Lana Kuykendall was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis 68 days ago.
July 17th, 2012

Victim of flesh-eating bacteria goes home

Lana Kuykendall, the South Carolina woman infected with flesh-eating bacteria shortly after giving birth to twins more than two months ago, was released from the hospital Tuesday.

Kuykendall was released from Roger C. Peace Rehabilitation Hospital in Greenville, South Carolina, 68 days after being diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, according to the website faithhopelana.com.

The day after she got her healthy twin babies home from the hospital, she noticed what looked like a bruise on her leg. Kuykendall, a nurse and paramedic, inspected it closely and thought it might be a blood clot. She had her husband, a firefighter and EMT, take her to the hospital, where doctors recognized what was happening and rushed her into surgery.

She has undergone more than 20 surgical procedures, including skin grafts and reconstructive surgery. But she did not require any amputations, as recently occurred in the case of 24-year-old Aimee Copeland of Georgia, who lost her hands, a leg and a foot as a result of the infection.

The CNN Wire Staff contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Health • South Carolina
  1. chrissy

How does one acquire this disease? Would be nice for the public to know so they could avoid it doncha think? Seriously.

July 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

@chrissy,it's a bacteria that enters the body via cuts and other opening in the body.The doctors in Greenville had the use of a hyperbaric chamber to feed oxygen to her body to fight the infection and it obviously worked,good job doctors...They're not cheap believe me!!It also simulates different pressures for divers getting the bends,that's what it was invented for, divers going to unheard of depths and coming up too fast getting the bends,too much oxygen satcheration,its deadly..

July 17, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Wishing her and her family well.

@chrissy:
    I agree.
    If I ran to the hospital every time I saw a bruise...lol.

July 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. clutch cargo

@ the lady with lots of bruises,dump your husband or call the proper authorities.

July 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Did I say *I* was the one bruised?
      Yeesh.

July 17, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pete

@little mister, ya never been in a hospital before have ya?68 days x roughly 5-10 thousand a day is more like it.Her bill is probibly aroung 500-600 thousand give or take a few.Thank God she and Aimee are alive and she's able to enjoy her twins.I'm so sorry for the loss of Aimees hands,feet,limbs,its going to be hard but with her loving family around her she'll do fine.Again God Bless to all and hope all goes well in their futures..

July 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. spinner and paddlefoot

thats ok, denial is the first hurdle..after that your on way to not only external healing but most importantly..internal HEALING 🙂

July 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Lmao, Clutch and his friends Spinner and Paddlefoot.
      I watched Garfield Goose, too.
      Quite frankly, those moving lips on the cartoon face was creepy.

July 17, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And Pete, i'm not in denial about anything...to be in denial about something, it has to actually happen...chrissy can attest to what a sweetie I am married to...

July 17, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

@banasy,I'm sorry but I don't get the denile comment,it doesn't show on my cell,only a couple comments,sorry if I offended you,take care..Also someone has stolen my tag,like to speak to him but they don't care!!

July 19, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Ty @ Keith and Pete, been puzzled about this for awhile. Glad to know its not like a staph infection, or is it? Hmmm damn banasy, didnt i tell ya i didnt want that freakin surgery? Lol j/k i have no mysterious bruises.

July 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Watch your inscision site carefully, chrissy...
      J/k!
      Well, yeah, watch it though...

July 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

@ banasy, its almost healed actually, itches like crazy tho, and my granny always said that was a good sign! And yup Pete, its true, banasy got one of the few good ones!

July 18, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. dazzle ©

Hi there little mister. What happened to you that you need a hospital?

July 18, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. dazzle ©

@little mister, I'm glad you are okay. The verdict is still out for me on obamacare. I'm hanging in there working some shifts at the Medical Centre. I like your new trademark.

July 18, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Her hip incision from surgery!
    Good Lord!!!

July 18, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

lmao @ little mister, i got you covered on band aids, motrin, crutches, and a beautiful wheelchair dude, after that youre on banasys tab!

July 18, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Lmao @ banasy, musta been too lazy to read all the posts huh? And i guess you and paul will be able to claim little mister as a dependent come tax time lmfao!

July 18, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. bsrga

Know a miracle when you see it. They are all around us. Thank God!

July 18, 2012 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pete

Good mornin to all.Yes, it is pretty expensive today to go to a hospital and I hope the ACA bill works as intended.Hospital bills have been known to bankrupt people ,so we'll see how it works..Take care,have a great day!!

July 18, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |