July 20th, 2012

Couple who saw movie with baby to marry

A couple who were in the Aurora, Colorado, theater when a gunman opened fire early Friday told CNN's Piers Morgan that their day ended on a happy note with a marriage proposal.

Patricia Legarreta said Jamie Rohrs popped the question at the hospital after the shooting.

"He said, 'I know this isn’t the time or the place, but will you marry me,' and I said, 'yes,'" Legarreta said.

The couple gained attention in the immediate aftermath of the shootings that left 12 dead and 58 injured because they went to the midnight show of "The Dark Knight Rises" with Legarreta's 4-year-old daughter and their 4-month-old son.

Morgan opened his interview with the couple, saying CNN viewers wanted to know why they would take such young children to a midnight movie.

“I take my kids to the movies all the time,” Legarreta said. "My 4-year-old daughter loves Batman. We were excited."

It was to be a night out for the family that had just moved to the area from New Mexico, she said.

"We decided last-minute to go and get tickets and go as a family to the movies," Legarreta said.

What ensued was a nightmare.

Rohrs described how he lost 4-month-old Ethan in the darkness, gunfire and smoke in the theater and how he had to decide whether to search for the baby or escape the theater himself. He chose the latter.

"Just pray that he won’t kill your 4-month-old," an emotional and shaken Rohrs said he thought as he fled the theater.

Once outside, he debated going back in to find the rest of his family, but then he thought they may be out and he could leave the children orphans if they did get out and he went back in and was killed.

"Just please let them get out alive. I don’t want to live if they all die," Rohrs said he thought to himself.

He later found out Legaretta was able to gather both kids as she escaped the theater, suffering a minor bullet wound in the process.

Legaretta said she feared the worst for Rohrs.

"Going through 10 minutes of thinking he was dead and I’d never see him again, you don’t want that feeling again," she said as to why she welcomed the marriage proposal.

Are infants too young for late-night movies?

How to talk to your kids about shootings

Post by:
Filed under: Colorado • Crime
  1. Jimmy John

He's a coward, she's too stupid to put her kids to bed. I suspect they will have many children.

July 25, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. thenewo

The woman who made it out of this horrific situation, who took a bullet, and saved her two very small children should be commended. She deserves a much better guy than the one who left them all.

July 25, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. dallas123

I really pity those kids, Coward Father and Stupid Mother; of course need less to say Both Irresponsible.

July 25, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • JPX

Oh great, these two dopes are getting married. Anyone who brings a 4-year old to a midnight screening of a scary movie is basically saying to the world, "I don't use good judgment!" Never mind the fact that they have no problem annoying everyone else in the theater.

July 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yup

Well at least the mother had the sense to get the kids, I can't believe she would marry such a coward though.

July 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anna

What a coward. Leaving his 4 month old baby, and fleeing. Id say thats a good reason to high tail it in a different direction. he just proposed hoping she was stupid enugh to accept.

July 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

Wow, the comments. Such anger and evil in such a sad and sorry time, I find it amusing yet disgusting, what a combination that is! Michael Moore said it right, We have to stop hating each other!
    I woke up again this morning..... that makes me the happiest man on the planet for the 15, 530th day in my life.

July 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlv

Wow quote a pathological liar and a hypocrite. The moore hates anyone who doesn't agree with him and goes out of his way to manufacture facts to support his beliefs. He is a master manipulator and you want us to agree with you because of him? He deserves a spot on fox news, because he lies just as much as they do.

July 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curious

Are you kidding?? This man is a coward, what he did is indefensable. He made a conscience decision to leave his family behind. That is a coward.

July 27, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. 2ndtimesmart

If the father of my children abandoned me in this situation, I would not be marrying him, I'd be filing for sole custody. Disgusting. Of course, I wouldn't have been in that situation because I'm not selfish and irresponsible enough to take a 4 year old and a 4 month old to a MIDNIGHT showing of any movie, let alone freaking BATMAN. Why are we all surprised that she's marrying this guy? She is obviously lacking sense with the whole taking the kids to the violent movie late at night thing. I just feel sorry for the kids getting stuck with these two losers for parents.

July 25, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jermiester

I guess they meed their 15 minutes of fame and a reality show!

July 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DS

Where the heck did they get the energy to be up until midnight with the really young baby? I have an 18mo old & 4yr old & can't last past 10:30pm!

July 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Col. Jessup

It's the crack, son.

July 26, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ka Boom

They better not come after my guns. All "common sense regulation" is a slow moving path to outright confiscation.

July 26, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. dx2718

Wondering how they lost the baby in the first place. 4-month-old can't even crawl yet...maybe not even roll over. Was the baby in a bucket seat on the floor somewhere out of reach? If I went somewhere public with my non-mobile infant, I'd have him in my arms or at my feet in a car seat; either way I'd be touching him and be able to grab him instantly on the way out.

July 26, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. ridiculous

coward

July 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fiftysevenpops

What a coward... what kind of man abandons his girl and 2 kids in a theatre with a crazy gunman? And why would she accept a proposal from him literally hours after he left them to possibly die? As a husband and father, I would rather die trying to find my family than live with the guilt and embarrassment of having abandoned them to save myself.

July 26, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Charlene

All I can say is – he left them!!!

July 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JIN

I just left you, and our baby, but you survived, so marry me maybe?

July 27, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Aries

He left you and his kids inside the theater while a crazy gunman opened fire and you are STILL going to marry him? HELLOOOOOOO???!!! What kind of moron are you?

July 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |