July 20th, 2012

Fundraiser for taunted bus monitor surpasses $680,000 as it nears end

An online fundraiser for a New York bus monitor taunted by middle school students ends Friday after a month and hundreds of thousands of dollars beyond expectations.

A 10-minute video of Karen Klein enduring verbal harassment from four students went viral last month, sparking international outrage that grew into a call to raise "vacation" funds for her.

The video showed giggling students from the upstate New York community of Greece heaping insults onto her and jabbing her with a book. The grandmother of eight sits quietly, weeping at one point.

It inspired a campaign through the international crowd-funding website, indiegogo.com, which started with an initial goal of raising $5,000.

Within three days, the campaign raked in more than $600,000, according to data analysis on the website.

Almost a month later and with hours left before the campaign officially closes Friday night, it has raised more than $683,000. Donations poured in from all over the United States and about 80 other countries.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S. • World
  1. ®

special bus

July 20, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Meredith

Oh, I get it. You're a troll. Get off the computer and stop trolling everyone and maybe your conscience will let you sleep.

July 20, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I am glad that hopefully, she will able to retire.
    I am also hopeful that a camera will be installed on this bus to catch the little bullies and identify them, should another incident such as this occurs.
    They installed cameras on our school buses a few years ago, and bully violence on the buses have dropped dramatically.

July 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • little mister¬©

I agree with you banasy.

July 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

One day a little boy gets on a bus and sits behind the bus driver.

He starts saying things like: "If my Mom was a hen and my dad was a rooster, I would be a little rooster," the bus driver told him to quiet down!

Still the boy went on ... "If my Mom was a female elephant and my dad was a male elephant, I would be a little male elephant," the bus driver getting annoyed told the boy to shut up!

Still the boy went on ... "If my Mom was a female dog and my dad was a male dog, I would be a little male dog."The bus driver finally mad, asked him: "If your Mom was a ho oker, and your dad was a ho mo, what would you be?"

The boy answered: "A school bus driver!"

July 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Church Of The Poisoned Mind

I see the PC police getting rid of this one, although it is funny.

July 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Hey, Rawr!
      I missed this one...lol!

July 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO©

Sorry to hear that dazzle. I will help you sleep.

July 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

The way I see it, neither her nor the bus driver did what they were paid to do:Transport children in a safe manner, and MONITOR children's behavior.
    THE BUS DRIVER JUST KEPT ON DRIVING AS IF NOTHING WAS HAPPENING, and the "monitor" just sat there and took it.
    Years ago the bus driver would have pulled over and started paddleing kids, and we didn't need fat old ladies as "monitors". Kids KNEW better. The paddle taught them. My ass still tingles recalling.

July 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Church Of The Poisoned Mind

The compassion of this post is threatening to overwhelm me. Focus on why this woman needed a job at her age, not her weight. It is obvious with anyone with critical thinking skills that paddling did nothing to curb unbecoming behavior, because I just read this post and shook my head. Perhaps a sensetivity course in regards to our elderly is in order.

July 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

...and now you know why parents drop their kids off at the school bus stop in a 5 star crash rated Volvo with kids in seatbelts, only to wave bye-bye as their children board 1950s design busses with NO SEATBELTS. (school bus drivers have Zero Authority to enforce rules. There's just simply no way kids would wear seatbelts on the bus. Except for the decent kids not raised by monsters)

July 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Church Of The Poisoned Mind

Most school bus stops are within walking distance of the child's house. Also, research why there are no seatbelts even on new school buses. I know the reason. Do you?

July 20, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

In NY State, where this occurred, seat belts are on the school buses.
      Those made prior to 1987 had to be retrofitted.
      I do know that where I live, seat belts are not on the school buses.
      We do, however, have cameras, as I stated previously.
      Laws vary from state to state, and in my state, even city-to-city.

July 21, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Keep in mind while reading my opinion, I also think parents who wake their sleeping 3 month old baby to go see a midnight madness movie chocked with violence and loud noises, should be charged with the wreckless endangerment of a childs life. (even if the baby didn't get shot by a wacko spun on whatever)

July 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Church Of The Poisoned Mind

This is the only thing I have ever read by you that I agree with. Babies in general do not belong at movies, although reckless endargerment is a bit far to go in the zealotry of this situation. Anti-child, right?

July 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

In the years since I grew up, these kids bare no resemblance to us in their behavior. Although I wouldn't slap a general sticker of total disregard for respecting adults on every child's forehead, iI believe we're seeing the result of a total lack of real home grown discipline.
    If Mom and Dad won't teach the child about the consequences of their actions, the world will or the world as we have seen will suffer.
    History shows a dramatic differences of the children of today and their actions, activities, and respect for not only themselves but that of society as a whole.

July 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Oh I see !

I understand America better now, kill a black kid and you get lots of money donated to you (GZ), bully an old white lady make her cry, put it on YT and she will get almost a million dollars.you kill a baby (obviously) wait a month then say she is missing and year later your found not guilty (C.Anthony) soon after reep all kinds of benefits money, safe house, book coming out as soon as America wants to her from her again, which will sale by the millions. I said all of that to say I want to bleach my skin color to white.

July 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Oh I see !

Last but not least, make sure you televise it as if the sky was falling.

July 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GLAD FOR GRANNY

Glad this turned out for her benefit. ask yourself why this has to happen anyway? Some parents today are total wimps when it comes to disciplining their children. We have a single Dad in our Church who rewards his 9 and 10 year old boys hugs and kisses instead of repremanding them for bad behavior constantly. Where do kids get these Ideas? TV Movies Internet...and Liberal on punishment Parents......

July 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |