July 22nd, 2012

WWF ousts Spanish king as honorary president over Botswana hunting trip

The conservation group World Wildlife Fund ousted Spain's King Juan Carlos as its honorary president after his Botswana hunting trip sparked an outcry for its extravagance during an economic crisis.

The king's private visit came to light this year when he was rushed back to Madrid to undergo hip surgery after falling during the trip.

A firestorm ensued, forcing the 74-year-old king to apologize in April.
"I am very sorry. I made a mistake and it won't happen again," the king said on Spanish state television as he left the hospital.

The Spanish chapter of the WWF voted Saturday to abolish the honorary post, which the king has held since 1968.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: World
  1. banasy©

Hey, BOMBO.
    You had quite the prolific troll running around here...

July 22, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BOMBO ©

Didn't notice until now, been busy. Vacation coming though. Just one more week.

Read up, everyone, on the life of Juan Carlos. I think he should get a free pass for this one "mistake", considering Spain would probably Europe's last dictatorship today, if not for him.

July 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Going anywhere interesting, BOMBO?
      Spain, perhaps? lol...

July 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Nah, just the Rockies. We're planning in a couple of years though, going to Europe.

A tip for anyone going to Alberta, Jasper is much nicer than Banff.

July 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

*Just* the Rockies?
      You'll have a good time.
      Beware of speeding beer-trains, though.

July 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Anything with driving distance is "just." If I lived in Dusseldorf, I might say "just Rome", for example.

July 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

@ Sunny, its called *Napolian Complex* little man, little brain, but very big mouth!

July 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

lol...there's one in every workplace...

July 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philipsophical

Good men are so hard to find. Most being so small. he he.
    That's not as good as my 'Time stands still. People fly by' mentioned above.
    Time will always be right where it is. In a whisper, we will be gone. Some say gone to rest in peace, others say gone to burn in hell...and still others claim off to heaven. The heaven and hell bunch have no proof, and is why they say "rest in peace". (not because they truly believe the person is mere worm food, but because they know a burning hell is rediculous)

July 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Who Am I?

You admit to hitting a woman, Philip?

July 22, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Who Am I?

I wish you had suceeded.

July 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Who Am I?

He is a liar. He has proved it once again.

July 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

As all are aware, not one single person in the history of man has claimed that all priests are peds. That you say I made this claim is totally rediculous.
    But does remind me of a point I've tried to make. Yous call me names and post that you wish even physical harm to come to me for what I have said. NEVER do you post such vile hatred for openly gay men convicted of raypeing boys. NEVER.

July 22, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Philip:
      I have posted my feelings on what priests have done to vulnerable children, many time, and if you missed them, it's mot my fault.
      I suggest looking harder next time.

Please delete the absolute vile pile of dung that as posted at 8:08 by the Philipsophical, CNN, because it is full of hurtful to me, and my family who reads this; I cannot imagine why the report abuse button is being ignored.

July 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

When you bury your child, Philip, then you have the right to talk about my child's suicide and how I may feel, until then, be quiet.

July 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

@ Philip, the only thing ive EVER wished on you is, i hope you have as great a day as you give to others! Does that trouble you? If so then maybe you need to read Mathew 7:l2 again, and reflect!

July 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

My nonsense?
    Yeah, okay, whatever.
    Have a nice life.

July 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Martika

No parent should have to bury their child. Come back and act tough when you have buried your own child, philip, otherwise, never talk to anyone else again about what it feels like to bury their kid. Bury you own kid then you will have that right. You don't belong to that club, and for that, you should count your blessings and keep your opinions to yourself!

July 22, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

Philip@8:37, who are you talking to?

July 22, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hep me

Not as you've posted against me, though. Especially a year ago when you argued that openly gap priests were just peds and not statutory raypeists. (interestingly, the Supreme Court's opinion still matches your old one! The SC considers it a violation of a gay mans civil rights to use his chosen orientation against him in a court of law, something prosecuters would have to prove in order for a raype conviction. Statutory rapype conviction have been reversed on appeal to the SC based on Lawrence v Taylor, a case involving sodomy, not children)
    However, recently the dept. of Justice made even touching a child a raype of a child. So your orientation no longer needs to be known for a statutory raype conviction to stand, as we have seen in the case of a bise xual man, Jerry Sandusky.

July 23, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

And just because real history doesn't match what your school's history books claim, doesn't mean that real is revised. YOURS is the revised edition, not mine.
    The first president in america was in fact a black American named John Hansen. Washington became president by force. Revolution troops held Congress at gunpoint DEMANDING George Washington be the leader.
    And the Alamo massacre had nothing to do with the USA, another of thousands of examples of YOUR history being revised, not mine. "Victims" at the alamo were in fact volunteers...greedy land grabbers who had rejected the USA and moved to Mexico.

July 23, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |