July 22nd, 2012

WWF ousts Spanish king as honorary president over Botswana hunting trip

The conservation group World Wildlife Fund ousted Spain's King Juan Carlos as its honorary president after his Botswana hunting trip sparked an outcry for its extravagance during an economic crisis.

The king's private visit came to light this year when he was rushed back to Madrid to undergo hip surgery after falling during the trip.

A firestorm ensued, forcing the 74-year-old king to apologize in April.
"I am very sorry. I made a mistake and it won't happen again," the king said on Spanish state television as he left the hospital.

The Spanish chapter of the WWF voted Saturday to abolish the honorary post, which the king has held since 1968.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: World
  1. saywhat

Hi@banasy and@bobcat
    You are sure on a roll today.
    On Abe, I venture to say he would want to go right back to his Maker. And I wouldn't blame him.
    Words, play on them , put a spin on them and that is the name of the game. Gone are the days and folks you are looking for@bobcat.
    You do provide food for thought.

July 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ saywhat

How are you this afternoon friend. I thought I would go in a little different direction today. But knowing me, I can't guarantee how long it will last.

July 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Deep yhings to ask people

What is more difficult for you; looking into someone’s eyes when you are telling someone how you feel, or looking into someone’s eyes when they are telling you how they feel?

July 22, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

You are on a flight from Honolulu to Chicago non-stop. There is a fire in the back of the plane. You get enough time to make ONE phone call. Who would you call?

July 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

I've got to leave for now, but I want to leave you with one final consideration. Talk to you later.

“Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived.”

July 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bloo

To be remembered by those left behind with love and have memories of them cherished is important. "glad he's dead" is not how I want to be remembered!

July 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

I am very well thank you @bobcat.
    The facet that you show us today is philosophical and provoking. Bloggers I'm sure would be intrigued.
    I always find it hard to look into the eyes of someone seeking help while admitting for some reason I cannot help knowing that the person deserves it.

July 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

I am very well thank you @bobcat.

July 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

The repeat was inadvertent.

July 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

That quote is so poignant a reminder to us of how we like to waste precious moments that slip by never to return.
    Thanks.

July 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philipsophical

Time stands still. It is people who fly-by.

July 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philipsophical

Me? I'm a decent reader of books, but my writing skills stink...esp. my spelling.
    But I never graduated from an Ivy Legue university. I'm a hick from a small town of 200. And we didn't goto university. We went to work, and enjoy it that way, oddly enough.

July 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Proud of that??? WHAT an accomplishment there boy!!!

July 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philipsophical

"With the sweat of your brow, all of your days will be filled with toil."
    Does anyone here recall whose curse this is? Or why most reject it?
    (hint: same individual who cursed women with birthpangs.)

July 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Your other accomplishment should be in the book of world records! Man lives with no heart!

July 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

See? The haters of me are never far behind any of my comments here.
    Ankle biters, really. Notice "she" focuses on me rather than what i just said.
    She may very well be one of the millions of women trying to escape the curse mentioned above.

July 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bloo

Better start respecting women, BOY.

July 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Let the dead bury their own dead. Heartless? Not even.

July 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bloo

I read yesterday. You dug hers up. YOU DID. and you see she was on here so you did it again. heartless.

July 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |