July 24th, 2012

Mash-up: Beckham bombs, naughty tags

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs from around the world.

That's a big haboob

CNN iReporter Jessica Backofen says she looked up and saw a huge brown cloud rolling in over the mountains near Phoenix and captured photos of the dust storm from her car. "The winds were gusting pretty hard, so I made sure to park in a lot away from any tall trees," she said. "It was like a scene from 'The Mummy' or 'Hidalgo,' with the giant sandstorms in the deserts of the Middle East. Within 10 minutes, my position was enveloped in the cloud. The sun was almost completely blocked out, which is quite a feat in the desert. It was very intense!"

She hitched her dreams to Sally Ride's rocket

CNN iReporter Cynthia Falardeau, a 47-year-old nonprofit executive director and professional fundraiser in Vero Beach, Florida, said the late astronaut Sally Ride inspired her to follow dreams big enough to fail.

"Sally Ride is an icon to me and to all American women to dream. She was a pioneer to encourage small-town girls to think big. Most of all she got me to wonder how I fit into the world and what I had to contribute."

Follow the link to read Falardeau's entire essay.

David Beckham photobombs fans

Admit it. You'd react the same way. At least if you were a young British soccer fan. Or a woman.

[cnn-video url=http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2012/07/24/nat-olympics-adidas-beckham-surprises-fans.adidas-corporate]

Tag on bumper, mind in gutter

A Santa Fe, New Mexico, man says people who think his vanity license plate is obscene are misinterpreting it. But are they? Visit CNN affiliate KOAT and judge for yourself.

Trying to make sense of the senseless

What was James Holmes, the alleged Aurora, Colorado, movie theater shooter, thinking? Many readers speculated.

DavidW0909

I keep wondering what motivated this guy and I keep thinking back, to ironically a line spoken by Alfred (Michael Caine) in 'The Dark Knight' that 'Some men just want to watch the world burn,' and in so many ways I think that is no B.S. Some people do just want to see the world burn and will attempt to carry out their sick plan no matter if they have a gun, gasoline, a hand grenade, power tools or a nuclear weapon. They will find a way to burn it up. I don't understand the mentality but I do understand that people like (the theater shooter) are out there and are dangerous animals and must be destroyed. You know how some people when you look at their photo, something just tells you this person isn't right, there is something very crazy that I saw in the eyes of Holmes when I look at his photograph, but this morning, he looked like a rabbit in a spotlight, scared to death.

On the horizon: Romney in London, Obama in New Orleans

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney will begin a three-country tour with a visit to London, where he is slated to meet with Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and opposition leader Ed Miliband, among others.

President Barack Obama will deliver the opening address at the National Urban League's 2012 Conference in New Orleans. Later, he'll attend a political fundraiser in the Crescent City.

July 25 anniversaries

1956 - The Italian ocean liner Andrea Doria collides with the Swedish liner Stockholm in the fog off Nantucket; more than 50 people die.

Louise Brown

1978- Louise Joy Brown, the world's first "test-tube baby," is born in England.

1994 - King Hussein of Jordan and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin formally sign a declaration in Washington ending war between their countries.

2000 - An Air France Concorde flight crashes after takeoff into a hotel in Gonesse, France, killing all 109 people on board and four on the ground.

July 25 birthdays

• Basketball player Nate Thurmond, 71
  • Supermodel/actress Iman, 57
  • Comic actor Matt LeBlanc, 45
  • "Test-tube baby" Louise Brown, 34
Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. bobcat (in a hat)©

I sure hope that's a stretching excercise that skater is doing. Cause if that's the way she fell, that's gonna leave a mark.

July 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

(Muttering to herself) "I gotta get a computer, I gotta get a computer..."

July 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Rest in Peace, Sally Ride.

July 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Helga was hanging the wash out to dry, and then went downtown to pick up some dry cleaning.

"Gootness, iss hot," she mused to herself as the sun beat down on her. She passed by a tavern and said, "Vy nought?" So she walked into the air conditioning and took a seat at the bar.

"Bartender," she said. "I vill have unt cold beer, please."

The bartender asked, "Anheuser Busch?"

"Vell, fine, tanks," she said, "Just unt leetle svetty."

July 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Neil

Bobcat, you a women?

July 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

July 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

He's a bobcat.

July 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hope

And... how's yours?

😀

Sweating like a hog, hopin' he doesn't get
    that call from the Justice Department!

July 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

A follow up to the "land mark" conviction of PA Monsignor William Lynn should have been placed here on "this just in" blogs as well, seeing that the conviction article drew a huge response. Yet, Cnn place the results (sentence handed down) under justice, what the heck!
    Anyway, short end, he got 3 to 6.
    Not enough in my book, but it's a foundation to work off of for future convictions; and there will be many... trust me!

July 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

Lynn, who was allowed to make a statement, apologized for any shortcomings.
    "I've tried to serve God as best I could," said Lynn, who was not wearing his clerical collar and was escorted by bailiffs to the courtroom. "My best was not good enough."
    "Accused priest: 'I was helping priests and helping victims as best I could."

Judge to Lynn:
    "You knew full well what was right, but you chose wrong," Common Pleas Court Judge M. Teresa Sarmina told Lynn during sentencing.

July 24, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Now this is truly Sick! Sick! Sick!
    The article goes on to quote

The Archdiocese of Philadelphia released a statement Tuesday after the sentencing saying that "there is legitimate anger in the broad community toward any incident or enabling of s@xual abuse."

They also said the trial "has been especially difficult for victims, and we profoundly regret their pain."

But they added: "Fair-minded people will question the severity of the heavy, three to six year sentence imposed on Msgr. Lynn today. We hope that when this punishment is objectively reviewed, it will be adjusted."

My comment:
    No more wondering how this happens... No more wondering how high the enablers go!
    The Archdiocese of Philadelphia are just as SICK !!!

July 24, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

This is not to slam one religion over another; all religions WILL be done away with!

July 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

Sentence is too harsh the Archdiocese says, my A R S E !!! Compared to the life time sentence those boys got handed!
    SMH, Let the ignorant bury the ignorant!

July 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. razzledazzle ©

There was a massive haboob in Phoenix last year. Thankfully I was home but didn't park my car in the garage. It was the creepiest thing I ever saw and didn't know what happened. I was in the jacuzzi and all of a sudden the ambient lighting turned a sulphuric green but my view of the wall of dust was obscured by a large home in front of me. Of course I jumped out of the water and went inside. Then the wall of dust hit my home and I could see nothing. Scary yes! Messy, dreadful, cleaned windows for days on end and wore out a broom sweeping the mess up. My poor car had to be washed several times to get clean. There are some good views of this on You Tube.

July 25, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |