NCAA clarifies transfer rules for Penn State football players
A player exodus is widely expected in the wake of harsh sanctions against Penn State.
July 24th, 2012

NCAA clarifies transfer rules for Penn State football players

The NCAA on Tuesday spelled out how it is relaxing some rules to allow Penn State football players to transfer to other schools after the governing body of college athletics announced unprecedented sanctions Monday.

The Penn State football program, one of the top programs in the NCAA's major-school division, may be crippled by the sanctions announced Monday in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal and subsequent cover-up. The program is losing 20 scholarships a year and cannot play in postseason bowl games for the next four years, which is expected to drive many of its best athletes to other schools.

"The NCAA recognizes that current football student athletes will be negatively impacted by the Penn State sanctions," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs. "We want to allow those eligible student athletes as much flexibility as possible while still being mindful of some of the transfer safeguards our membership has put in place."

The biggest change is that players will be able to play for their new teams immediately rather than having to sit out a year. Under normal rules, a player would have to move to a lower division to remain eligible.

As long as players don't practice or play games with Penn State between now and the start of the 2013 season, they can jump schools without penalty, the NCAA said. Incoming freshmen also are released from their national letters of intent so they can play for and receive athletic scholarships from other schools.

Coaches from other schools will be allowed to contact and recruit Penn State players until classes start at Penn State on August 27. For the 2012 season only, schools not facing sanctions of their own will be allowed extra scholarships to make room for players they pick up from Penn State.

Players will be allowed to practice with their new teams this summer while the admission process to the new schools is being completed.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Jerry Sandusky • Penn State • Sports
  1. Mass Debater

Yes, it would take a blind man to see something that isn't there. Morons & bigots like yourself who can't see past the color of a man's skin are what is ruining this country.

July 25, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. Andrew

Where is CNN's coverage of the GOP Governor of PA, Tom Corbett who's up to his tiny sack in this scandal?

July 25, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. bubba

The only thing that has collapsed is your ability to think intelligently.

July 25, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ann

Wait...I thought the NCAA said they want to put academics ahead of football. So...wouldn't the best thing to do, academically, is to make sure upperclassmen finish up their degree at the college that they're at instead of transferring? Not all class credits are transferrable. It's always about football!

July 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bg1789

Yes, Journey is trolling. Anyone recognizes the absurdity except for those few who are so determined to see politics and republicans through ridiculous stereotypes.

July 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mike

I am not a Penn State fan but I would like to know why is the ex head coach being accused of a cover up. Where is the proff? And the strange think is he can't defend himself that is really sad.

July 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kodak

So, I am confused. These guys were soooo commited to a school?? But I guess not?? I guess they were committed to money.....how silly of me to not realize that reality of college sports.

July 25, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dave

wow! you've got no clue what you're talking about! HAHAHA!!

July 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. zeke

@Journey, you really are the "Tool of the Day"!!!!

July 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Graywolf1966

I agree with you 100 percent Journey. Penn State appears to be a bastion of pervness. I hope their football team will be booed off the field.

July 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ExPAVIC

What a disconnected, unreasonable individual. If I was your employer, you would be fired just for thinking in that manner.

July 25, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Deborah

I'm not Catholic, a Penn alumni or a football fan. Just saying that innocent players should not be penalized that had nothing to do with this mess.

July 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jennifer

It's sad to see the act of one man and the inaction of a few others have cause such victimization, even now. I feel bad for the young men that were victims of Jerry Sandusky but I also feel horrible for the current students (especially the football players) what part did they play in all of this except for going to a school involved in a scandal that they did not know about. I think the NCAA has overstepped their boundaries on restricting scholarship money to current students who were never involved in any of this. If the students received illegal kick backs from pro recruiters then sure maybe that is an understandable punishment but for students who never did anything that is just unfair.

July 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

A question I never put out there...
    If your in a park or public place and you come upon someone rayping another, your first reaction is to call the police; why should it be any different if in a college locker room?
    I say this to that man who's name escapes me, the one who actually saw Sandusky rayping the boy.
    I don't care how tramatized one is, taking a picture, slamming Sandusky against the wall, and finally to the police myself and the boy would have gone!
    The Archdisease response to the bishops 3 to 6 yr sentence sickens me to the point of NO RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rodney

Only State Penn University would have this happen.

July 25, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |