Smoking orangutan moves to island to kick habit
Before moving to her new island, Tori smokes a cigarette discarded by a zoo visitor.
July 26th, 2012

Smoking orangutan moves to island to kick habit

Call it an orangutan detox facility.

It's an island in the middle of a lake in Indonesia's Taru Jurug Zoo, and it's where Tori, the smoking orangutan, will be spending her days.

The 13-year-old primate picked up the habit by grabbing still-burning butts discarded in her enclosure by zoo visitors and imitating their actions, zoo officials told the Jakarta Globe.

Signs warned against the practice, but zoo visitors paid no heed, the zoo's director, Lilik Kristianto, told the Globe.

“A common problem for zoos in Indonesia are naughty visitors,” the director is quoted as saying. “Although there are sign prohibiting them from giving food or cigarettes to the animals, they keep on doing it. It is not rare that visitors even hurt the animals.”

Besides keeping puffing visitors at a safe distance, the island will have other advantages over the concrete cage Tori has called home at the zoo in Solo.

“Tori can climb five big trees on the island. This might be the best orangutan enclosure in Indonesia,” the zoo director is quoted as saying.

Tori isn't alone on the island. A male, Didik, has joined her.

But Didik has no need for rehab. While Tori would puff on the butts, Didik used to stamp them out, the Globe reported.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Indonesia • Orangutan
  1. Alamo

I feel bad for those attaking pres Obama.. in fact they are attaking the American people as a group of Chimps who elected their president!!! but you know what? a chips never sees his face.. Only you chimps (mean guys) who fits the frame.
    Cheers!!!

July 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. D.

They should ween him off with the electronic cigs or let him continue to smoke, they are harmless. He will not be happy when they take this away from him.

July 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

A monkey one day managed to break free from the laboratory where he had been born and brought up.
    As he scurried away from the fencing of the compound, he felt grass under his little feet and saw the dawn breaking for the first time in his life.
    "Wow, this is great," he thought. It wasn't long before he came to a hedge and after squeezing under it he saw a wonderful sight.
    Lots of other monkeys, all free and nibbling on bananas. "Hey," he called. "I'm a monkey from the laboratory and I've just escaped.
    Are you wild monkeys?" "Yes. Come and join us," they cried.

Our friend trotted over to them and started eating the bananas. It tasted so good. "What else do you wild monkeys do?" he asked. "Well," one of them said. "You see that field there? It's got carrots growing in it. We dig them up and eat them." This, he couldn't resist and he spent the next hour eating the most succulent carrots. They were wonderful.

Later, he asked them again, "What else do you do?" "You see that tree there? It's got papayas growing in it. We eat that as well." The papayas tasted just as good and he returned a while later completely full. "It's fantastic out here in the world" he told them. "So are you going to live with us then?" one of them asked. "I'm sorry, I had a great time but I can't." The wild monkeys all stared at him, a bit surprised. "Why? We thought you liked it here." "I do," our friend replied. "But I must get back to the lab. I'm dying for a cigarette."

July 26, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JonnyJive5

Haha that's ridiculous and hilarious. Great story!

July 27, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Once upon a time, there lived a poor hat seller in a small village in India. He earned his livelihood making hats and selling them in the neighboring villages. Once when going to another village through a forest, he fell asleep under a tree. When he woke up, he was surprised to find his basket empty and all the hats missing. Then he noticed a troop of monkeys sitting in the tree wearing his hats. He came up with a brilliant idea to retrieve his hats. He lifted the hat on his head and threw it to the ground. Out of their aping habits the monkeys followed suit. The hat seller then collected all the hats and triumphantly proceeded to the market.

As the years pass by, the hat seller has a grandson who too ends up being a hat seller. One day he has to pass through the same forest to sell hats in the village on the other side. As he is leaving, his grandpa tells him of the monkeys and how he outsmarted them and warns the grandson to be careful in the forest and remember his grandpa's trick if the monkeys cause any trouble.

So the grandson sets forth on his journey. While passing through the forest, he gets tired and falls asleep to wake up and find the basket empty and all the hats gone. Then he notices the monkeys on the tree wearing the hats. Smiling to himself he says, "Aha ! I know how to deal with this. I'll use my grandpa's trick ! So he hurls his hat to the ground expecting the monkeys to do the same. All this time, there is a young hatless monkey sitting in the tree. This monkey jumps down from the tree, quickly picks up the grandson's hat and puts it on his head. Then as he is scampering away, he says to the grandson sarcastically:

"HA! HA! DID YOU THINK ONLY HUMANS HAVE A GRANDPA!?"

July 26, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

There were two men who played golf together frequently. One was several strokes better than the other. The lesser player was very proud, and never wanted to take any strokes to even up the game.

One Saturday morning, he shows up with a gorilla at the first tee. He says to his friend, "I've been trying to beat you for so long that I'm about ready to give up. But, I heard about this golfing gorilla, and I was wondering if it would be alright if he plays for me today. In fact if you're game, I'd like to try to get back all the money I've lost to you this year. I figure comes to about a thousand bucks. Are you willing?" The other guy thought about it for a minute, and then decided to play the gorilla. "After all, how good could a gorilla be at golf?" he thought. Well, the first hole was a straightaway par 4 of 450 yards. The guy hits a beautiful tee shot, 275 yards down the middle, leaving himself a 6 iron to the green. The gorilla takes a few powerful practice swings and then laces the ball 450 yards, right at the pin, stopping about 6 inches away from the hole. The guy turns to his friend and says "That's incredible, I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. But, you know what, I've seen enough. I've got no interest in being totally humiliated by this gorilla golfing machine. You send this frigging gorilla back to where he comes from. I need a drink; better make it a double, and I'll write you a check."

After handing over the check, and well into his second double the guy asks, "By the way, how's that gorilla's putting?"

The other guy replies, "Same as his driving."

"That good, huh?"

"No, I mean, he hits putts the same way – 450 yards, right down the middle!"

July 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hope

😀

Pachhhing!

Perfect, everytime!

NOT™™..!!

July 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ik

She's a primate and very similar to human..but who knows whether their long-term smoking will lead to a faster outbreak in disease (especially about the cancer) compare to human beings?

July 26, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burgo

So you want to study her and chop her up for research?? sicko!

July 27, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gold Dragon©™

Good evening everyone.

I am enjoying the jokes from Bobcat(in a hat).

Rehab on a nice secluded island with a stud. Sounds like a good reason to start smoking. LOL

July 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nostrildamus

Looks like Clyde is taking a left turn.

July 27, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. evan

seriously?

July 27, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dale

I wonder if the zoo he is at has Obama care?

July 27, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

Lets hope so.

July 27, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bob

I love orangutans, they are wonderful animals unlike half the humans I know. The zoo should not let people smoke and flick their butts in the cage.I know the article said there was signs that tell people not to do it, but some humans aren't too smart. I like the fact that Didik would stomp them out, one smart orangutan.

July 27, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Hobomania

... "unlike" half the people that you know, eh? Well, that's what you get for living under a bridge.

July 27, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dionysus86

You can do it, little buddy! we believe in you.

July 27, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hikerstud

Even primates are smart enough to know that smoking is not near as dangerous as the gov't want to make you believe.
    Smoking in America cut in half by propaganda and social stigma with heavy tax too. Cancer up 50%. Oops gov't wrong again but they do not care cause they recieved like 500 billion bananas from the sheep. Big gov't fix economy. Oops big gov't is the cause for sick economy with number of employees and pensions etc. Labor unions and political parties fleece sheep. Secular humanist (liberals) are the dumbest species and most dangerous on the planet because they think they are so smart they cannot see plain truth and evidence.

July 27, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bill

I quit smoking 12 years ago after smoking for 24 years. If I can do it, so can Tori. You go girl!

July 27, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |