CNN president to resign at year's end
July 27th, 2012

CNN president to resign at year's end

The long-time president of CNN, Jim Walton, says he will leave the company at the end of the year.

Walton (pictured), who joined the company as an entry-level video journalist in 1981, said the company needed "a new leader who brings a different perspective, different experiences and a new plan."

"For some time, I've been talking with (Turner Chairman and CEO) Phil Kent about wanting to make a change, and he supports my decision," Walton wrote in a memo to employees.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. about time

Good. Maybe the new person will fire Pierce Morgan and hire real journalists, not just talking heads for the democrat party. Like Fox.

July 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Amen to that. From pioneer of the 24 hour news cycle to record low ratings over the course of a decade or so, mostly because they abandoned any objective journalism in favor of brazen ideological allegiance. Look at this website: It's still rah rah 0bama cheerleading all the time, and any departure from the party line gets you ... deleted. Ignore facts, speak the talking points, influence the target audience...That turned out to be a poor business model for a "news" organization.

July 28, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

A policy change in MS media is hard to conceive.

July 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

Never did see much in so-called ratings for news only TV. Who in their right mind watches the news or weather 24/7. As a matter of fact, there is only one kind of place that I've seen CNN or FOX channels on continuously ....The little bars that serve lunch to worker bee's around the country. And nobody's watching unless something exciting is happening.

July 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joyce Gibbs

You make a good point. It reminded me that whenever I went to the cafeteria at my workplace the TV was always set on CNN with a flashing monitor saying "breaking news". There was a time went that actually meant something meaningful was actually happening, now it's just another news media gimmick. I have long felt that TV news in general focuses too much on the news anchor personalities, rather than the actual content of the reporting. And don't even get me started on all the commercials that interrupt newscasts so often, I turn off the TV and go to my computer to read the headlines. I only wish I could eliminate all the political ads that run incessantly on every channel. They are such a waste of time and money that could be spent so much more productively by both parties.

July 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

And this is news, why?
    I'm sorry.
    I see this particular post a lot.
    I'm kidding.
    Best of luck to Mr. Walton.

July 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rascal Rabble @The Waltons

goodnight...Jim boy...

July 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. s kel

ummmmmm who cares!!

July 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NY Veteran

Its about time. I stopped watching the Estrogen News Network months ago. They fired Ashliegh Banfiled from MSNBC for a reason HINT HINT. You lost the formula. Crossfire was a great show. You had great anchors. NOw you have perky and cutsie. Its like watching the View 24×7. Go to your vault and dig out the tapes and learn from the past. Good riddance.

July 28, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Victoria

Mr. Walton, I have followed the timeline of your career and to see you came to the network as a videographer to progress to the President of your news network is a success story. I hope the reasoning for your departure is accurate. You have my very best wishes and hope there is an appropriate successor plan in progress.

July 29, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. 2012marandalaw

Ted Turner..Lets See,What do I Remember About Ted Turner...Nothing..Nothing..Nothing.I Like Heroes..Not Zero's.This Guy Should have ledt when they did...

July 30, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 2012marandalaw

Reblogged this on Marinchek-Marn and commented:
    Ted Turner..Lets See,What do I Remember About Ted Turner...Nothing..Nothing..Nothing.I Like Heroes..Not Zero's.This Guy Should have left when they did...

July 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |