Document: Suspect in theater shooting was psychiatrist's patient
July 27th, 2012

Document: Suspect in theater shooting was psychiatrist's patient

Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes was a patient of a University of Colorado psychiatrist before last week's attack at a movie theater that killed 12 people and wounded scores, according to a court document filed Friday by his lawyers.

The disclosure was in a request by Holmes (pictured) for authorities to immediately hand over a package he sent to Dr. Lynne Fenton at the university's Anschutz Medical Campus.

According to Holmes' request, the package seized by authorities under a July 23 search warrant was a protected communication.

"The materials contained in that package include communications from Mr. Holmes to Dr. Fenton that Mr. Holmes asserts are privileged," the document said. "Mr. Holmes was a psychiatric patient of Dr. Fenton, and his communications with her are protected."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Colorado • Courts • Crime • Justice
  1. Shnooky Peters

So they're going for the insanity plea completely on this situation meaning maybe a few years in a hospital facility instead of life behind bars. Not a shocking defense to say the least.

July 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monica

We all knew this would happen. Not enough consequences in this country for those who do wrong.

July 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • C. Gray

So sad but so true, if you're not a public official, you can pretty much get away with murder. We need much stronger laws to stop these types of crimes being committed.

July 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. C. Gray

It took months to plan out his execution and falied execution, of course he was seeing a phsychiatrist, he was a functioning crazy person. He was and is fully aware of what he's done.

July 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

Let me try this again as my post was moderated. His acts of terrorism were premeditated. His has given a black eye to the neuroscience community. It is irrelevant that he was seeing a psychiatrist but he is smart enough to coerce his attorneys to seek the insanity defense. Bring back the firing squad for this cretin.

July 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

You don't coerce your attorney. If anything, they coerce you! What did you expect as a plea? "Stand your ground" or self defense?

July 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Portland Tony, a mind like this can coerce a legal mind or a medical mind. He knows exactly what he's doing.

July 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. little mister©

*facepalm* to you dazzle.

July 27, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dazzle ©

@little mister, take this nonsense to a less serious blog.

July 27, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@little mister, what did you tell me?

July 27, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

What was contained in that package?
    His manifesto?
    I am not sure if this varies from state to state, but isn't doctor/patient confidentiality null and void if the patient is intending to cause imminent danger to others?

July 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy-hello my friend. Holmes is pulling a fast one here and if and when this case comes to trial the relinquishment of fifth amendment rights can occur but there will be court appointed psychiatrists involved. There was a case study in 1987 in AZ that the criminals doctors and psychiatrists had to release all records that showed that he was on LSD at the time but he is now enjoying the hospitality of the State Prison for the rest of his miserable life. I know you understand what I'm saying on the AZ case. (Sigh)

July 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@dazzle:
      Omg. Horrific!
      Thanks.

July 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

According to police reports, holms told em, he took a 100 milagrams of vickidan. not sure how he did what he with that much im his system. I would wait till and see if there's a list of meds on him released, tho I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

July 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Mary, could you please site your source on the Vicodin allegedly in his body. Who knows he could have had dental work and had that prescribed. No matter what his tox screen shows he is pure evil.

July 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Portland tony

He will probably (was) be diagnosed as schizophrenic, probably be given meds to stand trial, and will be incarcerated for a long time in a psychiatric facility similar to John Hinckley, who shot President Reagan.

July 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

Dr. Tracy from the "rense radio show" called his "prozac eyes" a term thats always been used.

July 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Mary, I never heard the term "prozac eyes." Maybe his eyes are bulging due to a thyroid condition, called hyperthyroid but whatever his malady aside from evil, he's going to get exactly what he deserves.

July 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I am familiar with hyperthyroidism and bulging eyes.
      Very familiar indeed.
      If you look at his photo, the left eye is bulging out more than his right eye.

I have heard of "Charlie Manson Eyes".

July 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

@dazzle, Dr. Tracy mentioned it on the "rense radio show" interview she gave the other night. She cited a police report. Hope that helps

July 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Monica

I am beautiful and my measurements are 50 50 50.

July 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

@dazzle, as I said, for me, I'll wait till the list of meds os released, if they do surface. Hagd

July 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dazzle ©

TY for the info @Mary. I will research after I take a siesta. Enjoy your weekend.

July 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. WindyGirl

I think he looks like Crusty the Clown from the Simpsons

July 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Why shouldn't all terrorists be treated as insane? Why reserve that special treatment for the 'Western' terrorists?

July 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I should think ot would have to be a truly demented person to carry out the heinous acts that this Holmes terrorist did, saywhat.

July 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |