July 31st, 2012

India hit by second, even larger power outage

India suffered its second huge, crippling power failure in two days Tuesday, depriving as much as half of the vast and populous country, or up to 600 million people, of electricity and disrupting transport networks.

The first power grid collapse, on Monday, was the country's worst blackout in a decade. It affected seven states in northern India that are home to more than 350 million people.

But Tuesday's failure was even larger, hitting eastern and northeastern areas as well.

Both blackouts cut power in the Indian capital, New Delhi.

The power companies that operate the affected electricity grids reported Tuesday's collapse on their websites.

With about 1.2 billion people, India has the second-highest population of any country, behind China.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: India
  1. Meredith

Well, that sux.

July 31, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mr Dalloway

Hope things get better real soon for you India.

July 31, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim

These guys can't even keep the power on for pete's sake ! Never in the history of mankind has this happened at such a scale !

July 31, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar The Chorizo Champ Of Chihuahua

Wouldn't one expect this living in India? I don't know how, but things always seem to work out okay for me. I think that's because I don't live in India or anywhere near there.

July 31, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Portland tony

The Indian entrepreneur's famous quote "I don't need no stinkin infrastructure, I built my business all by myself"

July 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TvNyC

This is just a start from the solar activity. Unfortunately it may spread elsewhere. Electricity could cripple the world by the time the solar activity peaks after 12.21.2012
    Have some type of plan because if it doesn't get rough by the end of 2012, than the world should stabilize. Wars among countries and civil wars should be followed by democracy. This world is precious, make the best of it. Work hard and build a small fortune, have a family and die happy believing in God, and His only son Jesus Christ. He will you eternal life.

July 31, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mindy

Figure the talibans are behind this? Hope they did not steal the nukes. Panetta should have the sniffers out there.

July 31, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hope

Soon, the end will come.

Don't you feel it?

Embrace it,
    Hope

August 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dota Community|Dota League|Dota Gaming

It's the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may I want to suggest you some fascinating things or suggestions. Maybe you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

September 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |