August 2nd, 2012

'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' sets record, restaurant chain says

Chick-fil-A says it set a sales record on Wednesday, the day that supporters rallied around the fast-food chain amid a debate over its president's opposition to same-sex marriage.

The chain won't release sales numbers, but "we can confirm reports that it was a record-setting day," said Steve Robinson, Chick-fil-A's executive vice president of marketing.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee had called on people to buy food at the chain on Wednesday, which he dubbed "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," after a backlash against the company and their president.

The controversy started after an interview with the fast-food restaurant chain's president and COO, Dan Cathy, appeared in The Baptist Press on July 16. He weighed in with his views on family.

"We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy said. "We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

On a Facebook page Huckabee created announcing the event, more than 620,000 people said they would participate.

He called for a response to a backlash against the restaurants and its president. Customers flocked to the restaurants on Wednesday, many showing their support for the chain and Cathy's opposition to same-sex marriage.

Gay rights activists are planning to hold a "national same-sex kiss day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday.

FULL STORY
soundoff (1,687 Responses)
  1. TexDoc

This was not an anti-gay protest. It was a support every American's right to free speech without fear of reprisals protest.

August 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Chick Fil A employee

when I went to work yesterday I spit in almost every order I served. And I'm gay. Enjoy!

August 2, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Ritti

Keep on believin’ that Tex.

August 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Yeah....keep telling yourself that...

August 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • jonline

That's a lie. If it were free speech day, no one would have showed. It was 'let's hate the gays and have chicken day.'

August 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soft_Spyder

The argument that this is a defense of free speech fails. You may call the president a jerk without fear of reprisal. You may call the government a joke without fear of reprisal. You may not, while standing in downtown Berlin in say 1940, call the chancellor a jerk. This is the difference. You may say whatever you like and I may say whatever I like about what you say. So long as we do not threaten each other with physical violence. Thus if you call me a jerk, expect to be called one back 😉

August 2, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Matt

I could care less if anyone is gay or straight. If they're good people, they're alright in my book. While I think that Cathy's public comment was a bad business decision, he was just voicing his opinion. Many of my friends have different opinions than my own on certain subjects. This doesn't mean I still don't enjoy their company. And though I have never eaten at a Chick-fil-a, I am not boycotting them because of one person's poor judgment. If you feel uncomfortable supporting this business, don't eat there but don't try to ruin a business and the jobs it creates because of one person's stated opinion. Not only will it hurt the economy, it can divide a country. When radicals from one side of the fence stand up against an idea, radicals from the other side of the fence also stand up to create a balance. No one wins.

August 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

Good point Matt! I also have friends who have chosen to live a lifestyle I do not agree with; however, as a Christian I am not here to judge anyone. I am here to show loved to everyone even when we do not agree with each others lifestyles. We will all face final judgment when we die and meet our creator. I find it odd that a company who stands for Christian beliefs and run their business off those principles can be judged and ridiculed by a very small minority population. We Christians do not pass judgment on others because we have been judged for generations. “Do not judge so that you will not be judged” Matthew 7:1
      "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her," (John 8:7 NIV).

August 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. rationalist

"I see marriage as a relationship between a rooster and a chicken."-Chic-fil-a (PR department.)

August 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. cho

I dodnt care if the Manson Family own ChickFilA, I'm STILL buying their tea.

August 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. eyeh8goodell

And gotta love gay-bashiong conservatives. They whine about government intrusion into their lives, and yet they have no problem with government dictating who can get married and who can't.........so long as the government decision is line with their own narrow beliefs.

August 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ali

Exactly! If you regulate banks or corporations you are being socialist. But the following acts will offend my religious beliefs so therefore it should be illegal for anyone to engage in these acts.

There is so much hypocrisy in the position. I can at least relate to why someone might be opposed to abortion, if the persons aim is to protect the rights of the fetus. In the case of Gay marriage I have yet to hear anyone explain exactly why it hurts them if two men use the term married instead of civil union. Why would someone be so interested in protecting the rights of a fetus but have absolutely no interest in protecting the rights of your neighbors.

August 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kari21

It's his business, he can believe what he wants.

August 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scott Wesley

I'm thankful that we live in a country where FREEDOM OF SPEECH still applies to those WITH VALUES... TOO!
    My friends over the years who disagree with me on this issue and other similar ones are all too vocal on their Freedom Of Speech rights... and they tend to forget mine... and the rights of Chick-fil-a!

August 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. huckaboo

A person has to wonder about Huckabee. When he started making a lot of money off his show, he quietly left Arkansas, moving to Florida so he didn't have to pay state income tax. Probably a good day for Arkansas! Wonder if he'll get a gift for the record sales?

August 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. swohio

Apparently some people posting comments here need to grow up.

August 2, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • swohio

Or else they simply don't realize that we can scroll past their immature comments.

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. rationalist

Wow.Think we got it.

August 2, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. chunk a chunk

America voted...99.99% stayed away from Chick fil a on gay-hate day.

August 2, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dick sicario

Thanks to several liberal mayors, Chic-Fil-A will become the hottest fast food chain.
    Guess the libs and gays will stick to hot dog stands.
    Think America spoke loudly on this ?
    Wait til Nov 6th.

August 2, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Jose

That is one booth where conservatives won't win. Only in the line to buy french fries.

August 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arno

I wouldn't normally feel compelled to get into this, but I think a lot of people are missing the point of this Chick-fil-a thing...it's not about the fact that the owner exercised his right to free speech. There are tons of companies run on traditional and/or religious principals. The issue that brought this whole thing up in the first place was the fact that Dan Cathy gives large sums of money to support anti-gay groups, meaning that when you buy food from his company you are likely also giving money to that cause, whether you support it or not. And THAT is why some people are choosing to stop eating there. NOT because Dan Cathy has an opinion, but because some people have LGBT friends and family and they don't want to give money to those groups vicariously through Chick-fil-a. Which, I might add, is also a viable exercise in freedom of choice.

August 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

I agree. It is a freedom of Speach issue. I disagree with Cathy but made a point of eating there yesterday AND today. We are sick of ultra-liberals telling everyone what they can say or think.

August 2, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Ali

You mean like Rush Limbaugh or Fox News. Oh that's right you said ultra liberal not conservative.

August 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paul

Apparently Chik-whatever has found a way to ring a dinner bell only bigots can hear.

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • NavyAirVet

Yeah and everyone knows when Liberals demonstrate their disgust with America they destroy and occupy other peoples space and are outrageous, but you're OK with that!. They aren't bigots, but they aren't very nice either. I prefer the quiet demonstrations like this one that proved the public is not behind the President and his stance on gay marriage. Call us what you want, we are stronger then you and your allies in the press. We are starting to wake up to the manipulation.

August 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sbsler

NEWS FLASH!! People in the red states flock to support a cause that gives them an excuse to eat another 3,000 calorie meal.

August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |