August 3rd, 2012

Friday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

10:00 am ET - Cal Ripken talks mother's kidnapping - Baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken will hold a briefing with reporters regarding the investigation into the abduction of his mother last month.

11:45 am ET - Romney in Nevada - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney discusses the economy and other issues at a campaign event in Las Vegas.

11:45 am ET - Obama talks economy - President Obama discusses middle class tax cuts and the July jobs report in remarks in Washington.

3:15 pm ET - Panetta, Japan defense minister briefing - Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and his Japanese counterpart discuss North Korea and other issues at a Pentagon briefing with reporters.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Baseball • Crime • Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics • Sports
  1. dazzle ©

Good Morning fellow bloggers! I find this whole CFa deal ridiculous. Being that today has been designated Kiss Day, 1/3 of my towns police force is on the alert at the two locations. I'm getting an early start to my day to avoid the traffic and any nonsense on the road. I hope your day and upcoming weekend are the best.

August 3, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. Obama Mama

Hi Dazzle you have a great day also.
    Cal take care of your momma.
    I hope someone asks Romney why the wealthy are holding on to their money, said by his co-chair.
    I hope he and the senate vote down the wealthy tax cuts because the republican saying they would create jobs did not come to fruition. As for the jobs market, Obama should lay it on the line, what is really holding us back and what we need to do, the american voters can take it.

August 3, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good morning dazzle and Obama Mama

@dazzle
    I hope you have a wonderful day as well. Are you doing the double shifts again ?

@ Obama Mama
    I also hope you have a great day.
    As far the tax cut ? It again will benefit none but the upper levels of our population. After the republicans running on the platform of, we promise to create jobs if you elect us, they have done everything in their power to stifle the creation of jobs. Everytime our president put forth an initiative for jobs, they either dragged their feet, or voted it down flat out. I truly hope people are paying attention.

August 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bc(iah) thanks and no on the shift thing.
      @little mister, I don't do junk food and the nearest CFA to me is about 20 miles away

August 4, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Tax me any more and I'll just close up shop and lay off my help.
    Tax the huge religions and corporations before you further burden small business. ty

August 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

I agree, at one time we were the backbone of america. Where and when this got lost, I don't know. It used to be, anybody would do any kind of work to support their families. Now you can't pay this younger generation to do the dirt jobs it takes to make an economy work. Everyone now feels as thought they are enti tled to start at the top top without first paying their dues.
    In our day we had to work for what we got. Now too much is just being handed to them, and when that pool suddenly dries up, they don't don't know how to make it on their own.
    Hopefully, our nation will recover, but I am beginning to have my doubts.

August 3, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

@bobcat@Philip
    Agreed.
    A disappearing middle class, poverty crossing 15%, our collective thought process diverted to focus , by design on perceived enemies. A Congress completely engrossed in self preservation. Lobbies, Corporations, Special Interests , religious zealots, neocons having a field day.
    I had been having doubts for some time myself.

August 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

@dazzle
    Ridiculous absolutely right.
    Worrisome too, seeing where as a society we are headed.

August 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

An American man, a Russian man, and an African man were all up in a hot-air balloon together. After a few minutes, the Russian man put his hand down through the clouds. “Aaah!” he said. “We’re right over my homeland.”

“How can you tell?” asked the American.

“I can feel the cold air.” he replied.

A few hours later the African man put his hand through the clouds. “Aah we’re right over my homeland.” he said.

“How do you know that?” asked the Russian. “I can feel the heat of the desert.”

Several more hours later the American put his hand through the clouds. “Aah, we’re right over New York.”

The Russian and the African were amazed. “How do you know all of that?” they exclaimed.

The American pulled his hand up. “My watch is missing.”

August 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

A brunette, a redhead and a blonde are in a breast stroke race. The starter's gun goes off and the three girls dive into the pool. The brunette and the redhead shoot across the pool and get out; 20 minutes later the blonde reaches the end and gets out. The judge says, "The gold medal goes to the brunette, the silver medal goes to the redhead, and the bronze goes to the blonde". The blonde says, "I don't want to be a sore loser, but I think the other girls were using their arms."

August 3, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Ba Da Boomp Ching

August 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

As always, Rawr, your jokes hit the spot.
    I thank you for your wit and humor, something I think everyone needs to remember they posess!
    (Or not, depending on the individual)
    Could the blonde be disqualified for artificial flotation devices?
    Just wondering.

August 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I believe that would depend on wether they are real or man made.

August 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

lol @ Beethoven, you woulda thought they wouldve been caught when they released his mother wouldnt ya? This whole story has been kinda sketchy.

August 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Iceax

Sheldon adelson of the sands casino in las vegas he is caught the jack on is contributing money to romney campaign and switched from supporting the newt to romney and everybody can now say that mit romney didnt know ! Is that a lie good by romney nows the time to stop romney dead in his tracks . To keep this country free. Ive said it before and ill say it again a high population of vegas residents are mormon and are just as corrupt as the mobs where and still are so why would we put mob in the office of president ?

August 5, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |